iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

what is difference between .050 and .063 Stihl drive sprocket

Started by Andy B., September 14, 2013, 12:28:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy B.

The chain on my new Stihl MS660 is 3/8 .050 (1.3mm).  I have an almost new bar and a few almost new chains from my dad's old Farmboss that is 3/8 .063 (1.6mm).  The 3/8 .063 chain fits fine in the drive sprocket on the MS660, and the bar bolts right on, but I'm not sure if this is a wise idea as I don't know if there is a difference between an .050 and .063 drive sprocket.  For all I know they are the same, but I'm no chainsaw expert.  :D

So, does one drive sprocket work for various gauges of 3/8 chain?

Andy B.

sawguy21

Don't worry about it, the sprockets are the same. Gauge only affects the bar groove, as long as it matches the chain you are logging.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Andy B.

Awesome!
THANKS!!!  I just saved myself over $100 then on a spare bar and chains!

AdkStihl

Sprockets are no different there, but don't run an .063 chain in an .050 bar and vice versa.
J.Miller Photography

Andy B.

Oh don't worry about swapping chains in the incorrect bars.  The .050 chain is for a 32" bar, and the "like new" .063 bar and chains are 25".  And yes, the chains are the correct sizes for the bars.  It doesn't sounds like much, but when I looked at the width of the .063 drivers and the track in the .050 bar, there is a large difference.

Anyway, I put the 25" bar on this afternoon and it worked great, so now I don't always have to lug the 32" bar around.

Thanks again guys!!!

Andy B.

sawguy21

Quote from: AdkStihl on September 14, 2013, 10:32:17 PM
Sprockets are no different there, but don't run an .063 chain in an .050 bar and vice versa.
I have seen guys go from .050 to .058 to .063 as the bar wears. Rails get kinda thin.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

sharkey

If I remember correctly, this whole gauge thing started with Stihl.  Mac, Poulan and Homelite were all .050 gauge.  Stihl needing to be different came in at .063. The idea was you had to buy your bar and chain from them.  I dont know who came out with the .058 gauge chain, or maybe its a regional thing, so somebody correct me if Im wrong.

SawTroll

Quote from: Andy B. on September 14, 2013, 12:28:02 PM
The chain on my new Stihl MS660 is 3/8 .050 (1.3mm).  I have an almost new bar and a few almost new chains from my dad's old Farmboss that is 3/8 .063 (1.6mm).  The 3/8 .063 chain fits fine in the drive sprocket on the MS660, and the bar bolts right on, but I'm not sure if this is a wise idea as I don't know if there is a difference between an .050 and .063 drive sprocket.  For all I know they are the same, but I'm no chainsaw expert.  :D

So, does one drive sprocket work for various gauges of 3/8 chain?

Andy B.

Basically yes, but 3/8 P (Picco) use a different drive sprocket.

If your MS660 came with a Picco setup (Logosol version), you should not run regular 3/8" chains on the same sprocket.
Information collector.

Thank You Sponsors!