iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

TK belt tension

Started by xlogger, September 14, 2013, 08:51:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xlogger

I was checking my drive belt tension this week and I can move it about an inch. I have 550 hours on it now and never tighten it up. So I called TK and they suggested getting some kind of belt gauge from an auto store to make sure I don't over tighten it and ruin the bearings. I've talked to Paul about this and was wondering what other TK2000 or just TK owners have done or how much pressure did they use? If it was on my truck I would think I would tighten it up some. I really don't think it cuts as fast as it should. Ricky
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

redbeard

Don't know how much different the 2000 is from the B 20  but 1" seems like its too much deflection. Mine is manually engaged and when engaged its tight and you would have to push down  hard to get 1/2" movement. I've adjusted it several times probably with your hrs its time. Auto clutch probably puts a little more wear on them.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Larry

I replaced my belt last winter as it got cut up from a broke band.  When I replaced it I thought about proper tension with a gauge but didn't have one and the thought slipped by.  It does sound like a good idea to use a gauge.  Auto parts stores used to carry them.

Did TK give you the specifications for proper tension?  I looked in the manual but couldn't find anything there.

BTW the belts are not easy to find, at least here in the auto parts stores.  I got two Goodyear belts from Amazon.com and have since found an industrial warehouse that stocks them.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

xlogger

Larry, TK did say what the tension show be on the gauge but I didn't have one and did not write it down and forgot, sorry. Ricky
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

opticsguy

The belt on my TK 1220 failed at about 20 hours and found a replacement at the best little hardware store in the world, a few miles from my home.  There is no way to tension the belt on my machine. Four bolts to loosen the engine and slide to as "tight" as you can with one hand while tightening the bolts with the other.  The belt seems way too loose for me, but I dont see any other way for tensioning.

TK 1220 band mill,  1952 Ford F-2, 1925 Dodge touring, too many telescopes.

Will_Johnson

Hi Guys:

There is a proper tension for drive belts on all of our machines (and for all machines of all kinds).

TimberKing service can provide this information to you for your specific machine. We also have the gauges to measure belt tension which you can either buy from us or we are glad to loan them to you in order to install a new belt.

There should be deflection in the belt. Over-tightening of the belts can put too much side-load on the engine which can lead to problems up to and including breaking the crank shaft. So yes, you might get slightly more power transferred to the blade in the short-run at the cost of your engine in the long run.

I don't think anyone doubts how much I admire this forum and everyone on it. There's a huge amount of good will and knowledge here to be gained from the real-life experiences of the members.

But I think I speak for all of the companies out there --  TimberKing, Wood-mizer and all the other brands-- when I say that there are some areas where there's no replacement for contacting the manufacturer.

I have said it before and I will say it again: we have a service department who we pay good salaries to help with questions like this. Use them! 1-800-942-4406 ... service@timberking.com.

Best to all,

Will

Nomad

Quote from: Will_Johnson on September 16, 2013, 11:01:16 AM
Hi Guys:

There is a proper tension for drive belts on all of our machines (and for all machines of all kinds).

TimberKing service can provide this information to you for your specific machine. We also have the gauges to measure belt tension which you can either buy from us or we are glad to loan them to you in order to install a new belt.

There should be deflection in the belt. Over-tightening of the belts can put too much side-load on the engine which can lead to problems up to and including breaking the crank shaft. So yes, you might get slightly more power transferred to the blade in the short-run at the cost of your engine in the long run.

I don't think anyone doubts how much I admire this forum and everyone on it. There's a huge amount of good will and knowledge here to be gained from the real-life experiences of the members.

But I think I speak for all of the companies out there --  TimberKing, Wood-mizer and all the other brands-- when I say that there are some areas where there's no replacement for contacting the manufacturer.

I have said it before and I will say it again: we have a service department who we pay good salaries to help with questions like this. Use them! 1-800-942-4406 ... service@timberking.com.

Best to all,

Will

Bravo Will.  Well said.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Thank You Sponsors!