iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need Help.....Ideas Please

Started by inspectorwoody, May 09, 2004, 01:27:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

inspectorwoody

This is the bare space I am left with after removing all the river rock the previous owners of my new home had there.

I would like to plant strictly perennials and those of which will attract butterflys, hummingbirds etc. The area is very shaded so I need to take this into consideration also.

So I am asking all you good ol' green thumbs out there to throw me your ideas.  ;)

Thanks and I look forward to the help.

Kevin

How about a juniper bush with a cedar rail fence?

shopteacher

Put in a butterfly bush. There great looking come back every year and attract mucho butterflies. Our is just starting to get a little green on it and was cut back to about 6" last fall but will be about 2 feet tall over the summer.
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

Tom

Looks like you have room for a Coconut Palm and some palmetto.

Ron Wenrich

The shade is what is your worst problem  For our shady areas, we have had success with begonias, hosta, and nasturtiums.  The only problem is, they won't attract much wildlife.

For hummingbirds, we have had the most luck with petunias  They like more sunlight.  We also hang a hummingbird feeder.  We usually manage to attract a few.

I've never had too much luck attracting many butterflies.  I've had butterfly bushes, but never attracted too many.

I have some white cedar on my fence row, and that seems to attract bagworms.   :D    And in a few weeks we're supposed to have an onslaught of cicadas.  
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Danny_S

I have lots and lots of alder and thorn bushes that I would let you have absolutely free!! They grow like wildfire and have nice pretty leaves on them.   :D  :D  

Remember, they are free for the taking.......  ;)
Plasma cutting at Craig Manufacturing

DanG

I dunno how it is in your part of the world, but down here, Impatiens is all the rage for shady areas. :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Tom

I was talking with Jeff awhile back and he said that Dandelions did real good. Do they attract butterflies?

You can eat them. ;D

shopteacher

You can make a fine wine from dandelions to go along with the salad. Um good.
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

CHARLIE

Inspectorwoody, take a look at Potentilla. I'm definitely don't have a green thumb and  my Potentilla have done real well and are loaded with yellow flowers each year and they just keep on blooming for a good while. Butterflies like yellow too. I even put a Miracle Grow product on them that is supposed to make them bloom heavier and I think it works good too. I think they'll do OK if they can get a little sun each day. I live in SE Minnesota and mine survive the cold just fine.

Potentilla-Coronation Triump
Potentilla fruticosa 'Coronation Triumph'

Mature Height  3-4 feet  
Soil Type Widely adaptable  
Mature Spread  2-3 feet  
Flower Color Bright yellow  
Mature Form  Rounded  
Foliage Color Dark green  
Growth Rate Slow  
Fall Color Copper  
Sun Exposure Full sun to partial shade  
Zones 2-7  
Soil Moisture Widely adaptable

Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Bigdogpc

Try some Pentas, Butterfly bushes, Mexican Pettunias (they take over a space).  Go to a local nursery and look at the plants they have growing in the shade.  If the nursery is growing it in the shade, then you should be able to grow it in the shade.  Any further input from me will be useless...I can't grow much, and I live in Florida...

For an area that will be mulched but prone to weeds, cut some old burlap backed carpet and install it burlap up under the mulch.  Cut holes in it to plant your flowers.  Covered in mulch, ya never see it, the weed seeds in the ground are blocked by it.  Been working in my yard keeping down the weeds for years...

Mark M

Impatiens, pansies, and violas should all do well in shade.

inspectorwoody

Thanks for all the replys! Sounds like I have myself a good list to take a look see at!

Thanks again and more ideas are welcome!  :)

Thank You Sponsors!