iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

MIRACLES DO HAPPEN!!!!!!

Started by etat, May 09, 2004, 12:45:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

etat

My youngest son Jeremy Tate is 16 years old.  He is a miracle in his self.  He was born at 26 and 1/2 weeks premature. In the emergency room.  I was there.

When Dr. Creekmore delivered him he grabbed him up and ran out the room.  I thought the baby was dead.  I had seen two more born but this was different.  Nothing that small could survive.

I found out later he ran out of the room, and up to the third floor to get the baby on life support. Didn't take time for the Elevator.  

I didn't know this until three hours later.  Dr Creekmore came in the room and said the baby was alive.  I asked how could that be.  He said he didn't' know, but there was a helicopter on the way from Jackson.  He wanted to get the baby into an intensive care neonatal unit.  Chances of survival said I, and don't lie.  He said one in a hundred.  My wife was still asleep, sedated.  The baby weighted two pounds four ounces.  Later he got worse, lost down to less than two pounds.

Gonna skip a lot.  Three and one half months in intensive
care.     Clothes when we brought him home.: Doll Clothes, name of the doll, my buddy.  Preemie clothes swallowed him whole. Kept him on a monitor the whole time.  He'd stop breathing and you'd have to jar him a bit. First surgery at 8 months. Successful. At that time he only weighed 7 pounds.  It was temporary repair surgery to the heart.

Second open heart surgery at two years. Said they fixed it permanent with, and their words, 'military raincoat material'.  Surgery successful.

The docs told me I could make a cripple out of him, or a useful citizen.  He's always been weak on his right side.  Took him years to learn to tie his shoes.  I was always hard on him, he never seemed to mind.

Finally got up the money when he was 8 to buy him a three wheeled bicycle. He's wore two of them out.  Never could ride a two wheeler, couldn't balance it.  He did learn to drive a straight shift her recently.

I didn't know this.  His buddies at church been teaching him to ride a two wheeled bicycle on the sly.   TODAY HE INSISTED HE RIDE IT HOME FROM CHURCH. NINE MILES!!!!!!!!!!!!  Rode and pedaled it all the way.  I've got pictures, to excited to resize em right now.  He wouldn't let us follow him all the way, said he'd be OK.

YOU CAN'T TELL ME THERE AIN'T MIRACLES, I'VE SEEN A LOT OF EM.  I'VE ALWAYS BELIEVED IN EM.

Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

hiya

It's times like this we have to trust in God to work things out.Even though we don't understand why it happens.
PTL for your son.
Richard
RichardinMd.

J_T

Great Ck proud for you and your son . Don't get rid them outher bikes though you may can ride em ;D
Jim Holloway

shopteacher

Glad to here Jeremy is doing so well. Came a long way from such a shaky start. You Know CK, I think your a miracle. God bless you and yours.
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

Norm

Dang it CK, that has to be the best mother's day present ever.  :)

I'll bet he had a smile from ear to ear....bet you and Mrs CK did too.

Patty

Wow CK, there you went and made me cry. What a great story!
I'm real proud of Jeremy, please tell him so.

Happy days to you and your lovely wife!   :)

Patty
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Stump Jumper

had to clear my eyes :'(  just  to say awesome  8)
Jeff
May God Bless.
WM LT 40 SuperHDD42 HP Kubota walk & ride, WM Edger, JD Skidsteer 250, Farmi winch, Bri-Mar Dump Box Trailer, Black Powder

etat

Affected me pretty much the same.  Jeremy, unlike me, has never met a stranger.  I have to think about and study what I say, it doesn't happen fast.  Not so with Jeremy.  He makes EVERYBODY laugh.  About something all the time. And thinks fast.  You oughta seen him bossin around my employees when he was younger, It'd make it hard for me to work for laughing at em.  
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

Fla._Deadheader

I was one of the first to view this thread, earlier, and STILL can't think of anything to say. ::) 8) 8) 8)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

DanG

I believe in miracles, but I don't think that was one. I think it was a result of good, honest hard work and determination! Congratulate that lad for me, would you?

The miracle came when you were fortunate enough to have a Doctor who knew immediately that he needed to get that kid to the proper facility, without one second's delay!  But, no, maybe it came a lot earlier, when God gave our species the power to learn to produce our own miracles.  8) 8)  We should celebrate that!

CK, I don't know about you using one of them 3-wheelers. ::)  You know, the knees, and all that. Maybe you could turn it upside down and pedal it with your hands!   :D :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Duane_Moore

Cats got me. same way  Don't know how to say anything, eyes all wet  Duh---Duane
village Idiot---   the cat fixers----  I am not a complete Idiot. some parts missing.

rebocardo

With a birth weight under 3 pounds and two months early, it certainly is a miracle he survived. You have a precious gift that kings would have given kingdoms to have, some such as King Henry killed his wives instead.

I bet he had a big grin on his face when he reached home  :)

etat

Wanna clarify one thing.  My wife carried him 26 and 1/2 weeks.  That made him come over 3 months early.  While in jackson he lost down to less than a pound and a half.  We couldn't stay there, but we did go down each and every weekend.  He was in a ward with lots of other babies.  Stuff ya don't wanna see.  At about two months old they were still feeding him through IV, couldn't take milk of any kind.  They called us one day and said he was getting worse, if such a thing was possible.  We rushed to jackson, three hour drive.  When we arrived they said they had changed his medicine.  He had stabilized.  After that they started with 1/4 drop of milk, every thirty minutes.  Then 1/2 drop, then more, and more, and more.  Now ya can't keep the kid fed!!!  They ain't NO bottom to his stomach!!!! ;D   I DON"T MIND AT ALL!!!!!!

Bothy_Loon

Good on you & wish the boy all good health from now on as it seems to me he has had more than enough problems for a young lad.
It was nice to hear of his success as this year when we went back into the mill after the New Year break we found the son of a good friend (our retired saw doctor) hanging from a roof beam. He was in hIs mid 30s & with two young kids & a wife.
I had another young lad of 19 who was having problems took his own life on the 14 April. I had been trying to help him out but I must have not tried hard enough.
Your son must be a real fighter & again good luck to him it gave me a boost just to read about him

Bothy

CHARLIE

CK, you've a right to be mighty proud of your son Jeremy. He has an inner strenghth that will serve him well throughout his life and it also seems he has some pretty DanG good friends too. Two thumbs up for Jeremy!
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Ron Wenrich

Our daughter Bethany is a preemie too.  We adopted her from S Korea 13 years ago, so her condition wasn't as well known as your son.  We do know that she weighed 3 1/2 lbs at birth, and was in an incubator for 6 months.  They call it failure to thrive.  When they get beyond that, they are pretty tough kids.

She didn't have the heart condition, but she does have neurological problems.  She has a mild form of epilepsy, which is pretty well controlled.  She also has ADD (although it isn't apparent when the TV is on) and learning disabilities.  We're raising her to be an independent person, as well.

Our daughter wanted to learn how to ride bike in the worst way.  We have a stone lane, so it isn't the best place to learn.  We had helmets and pads, but she would always come back bleeding after only a 5 minute lesson.

It seemed like she was never going to get it.  Then one day, I was outside talking to my wife.  Bethany went out, hopped on her bike, and rode off.  We were both surprised.  She can get stuff, it just takes longer than most folks.  Sometimes the small things are big victories.

Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

DeepForest

Mireacles do happen indeed!!!
  He is the branch of a strong and tough tree!!!
     My best regards to yours!!!

Jeff

cktate, we have a Jeremy too. He was born one month and one week OVER due. He had what was called  (sp) merchonium stain. He was over mature, passed a stool in the ambiotic fluid then tried to inhale as he was being born. His lungs were coated and he could not get oxegen. They rushed him out the same way. Tammy had severe bleeding and they were pooring blood into her as fast as they could. I was 20 years old and was loosing my wife and my son. The same guy that was watching over your Jeremy had watched over mine. Hes now 22. Smart as a whip, healthy as a horse, and maybe the laziest guy I have ever saw. :D  Tammy did O.K. too. She's tougher then me. I figure I'll prove how tough she is when ya'll come to the piggy roast. I think shes planning on thumpin Kevin for some entertainment. ;D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Kevin_H.

I have delivered two babies in the back of the ambulance in the last two weeks, both 4 weeks premature, The last one was the first of twins, luckly we got to the ER before the second twin made HIS arrival.

Babies and kids are true gift, Give'm an extra hug and let them know how proud you are of them.

CK, I have a picture in my mind of the proud smile you musta had on your face on that drive home.  :)
Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

Haytrader

I was like some of you....speechless. Just couldn't think of the right words to say. CK, I know you are SOOO proud of that boy. He is truly a miracle.

Ron, you have a miracle too. Adoption is one of the kindest things you and your wife could ever do. I have much respect for you. I wish your daughter continued success.

And Jeff, sounds like you and Tammy had a struggle too. I'll bet you thought the world was coming to an end at age 20. You said it all brother, when you said the "man" was watching over all you guys. I am glad you all told your stories.

My only son was full term but his body was full of (sp) Phenobarbital that his mother was on. Why none of his three sisters was affected we don't know. He started losing weight immediately and was lethargic. Could not keep a drop of milk down. The third day we took him in our van to Wichita, Ks. (3 hour drive) cause we couldn't afford the ambulance. He was in intensive care for three weeks. They poked more holes in him than I could stand. We scrubbed every 4 hours and fed him a little more each time. The doctors thought our presence and our voices are what pulled him through.  

Here is a picture of that little boy now. He graduates from HS next week.

Haytrader

redpowerd

these are great happenings, and i am proud to associate with people that appreciate God and the amazing things he does for us.
i thank God for you folks, and for litening heavy hearts thru these beautlful stories. everyday should be thanksgiving ;D
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

Mark M

Ain't it great to have kids!

shopteacher

i agree with redpowered. Where's the turkey?
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

etat

redpowered, sure is nice of ya volunteering to cook turkey for all of us every day!!!!!  B

I once spent a few months in a rehab hospital with my daughter.  Come saturday and sunday everybody would come in the cafeteria.  And play baseball.  With a plastic bat and a nerf ball. Some folks in wheelchairs, some folks with canes, some with walkers. Everybody participated.  Even the ones that were so paralized  that they couldn't move without help.  It was the highlight of the week, every week.  Those folks were truly amazing.  Everytime somebody would get well enough or learn to do everything they could possibly do in  spite of their disabilities and go home there'd be a party. Ages ranged from 2 years old, to folks over eighty. Most people had some type of brain injury or malfuction. Folks that didn't try to learn or get better, were first encouraged, but if they continued not to try they'd be sent somewhere else. It was not a place for loosers, it was a place for winners. Each success was celebrated, by everybody.  Relevatives were required to participate so they could learn the proper ways to help, and teach the patients when they were finally released, and not to feel sorry for them. The hospital was Healthsouth at Memphis TN.  A truly amazing place with the best rehab staff in the world, bar none.

Patty

One of my favorite jobs was working in rehab. Everytime a new goal was reached by a patient, we all would celebrate. It was not a  depressing job at all, it was very rewarding indeed to be a part of a patient's life if even for a short time.  

Most folks have an inner strength that they aren't even aware of until called upon. Those patients proved that everyday.   8)
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Thank You Sponsors!