Previous topic - Next topic

Harry George

American Elm slab table w/hard Maple trestle
the slab is 10' long x 46" wide x 10/4"
This slab was hand planed flat, ......

four days later
"Life is a participation sport, get in the game"

Hilltop366

Looks very nice. Certainly not a light weight.

WmFritz

~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

thecfarm

That does look good. Did you did the slabbing yourself? Selling it? Gift?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Axe Handle Hound

Beautiful work....the design for the legs is very elegant.  I like the way the space between the feet mirrors the vertical space in the legs.  Any chance we can get a good picture of the top itself?  Can you give us some of the details on what you used to plane it?  I find elm to be troublesome at best when it comes to handplaning and would love to hear how you managed it.  One more question, how does the tusk tenon for the stretcher stay in place with that horizontal orientation?

mesquite buckeye

I like it! ;D 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

beenthere

Excellent workmanship and final piece.
Thanks for posting.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

mesquite buckeye

Makes me wish I had a slabbing mill. :(
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Seaman

Beautiful! I hope to do something half that nice with my slabs.
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

Nomad

Outstanding workmanship! 8)
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Ianab

Nice  :)

I've got a piece of cypress in the shed that's similar, just waiting on time and inspiration to make it into a table. That's the sort of thing I want to make(inspiration) , just need the time now....

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Harry George

I will take some close ups of the table today and post them
Yes the table is for sale, had a few people looking at it. Last weekend I worked a Fall Fair with my mill and had the table there, it was a hit. I was cutting a few Black Walnut logs and booked matched some large boards. I must have had about 50 people ask if they could just belt sand & oil the boards to get a table. ..... I had a few chuckles .
The take is that so many people really have no understanding. There were a few woodworkers there and they were looking under the table,  checking the trestles joints and seeing how the top was fastened.

thecfarm

I bet that table was a hit at the fair.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Harry George

Here are a few more photos

Harry George

And a few more

There was a hole in the slab and I left it. I call it the "Dog Hole"

fishpharmer

There's nothing doggie about that table.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Axe Handle Hound

Thanks for the additional pics!  That really is a beautiful piece of work and your design elements are thoughtfully planned. 

Looks like a Lie-Nielson and Lee Valley jack and scraping planes.  I have the same Lee Valley jack plane and love it.  I like the pic of all the saws in your avatar as well.  Looks like some Disstons as well as others. 

Stephen1

A beautifull peice of work. Thank you for the pics
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

SPIKER

I have some doing a bit of drying now and after seeing your table I think I know what I should do with it!   It was dentin for a bridge re-decking job but not sure now...

Had some Slippery Elm dead in the woods and took the trees down and had them milled to 1.5" x what ever they could get.   Most of them were cut to 9ft, 11ft, 13ft and 15ft with the widest boards about 14" the one pic below 4 boards are 4 feet wide so will make great table & bench seating.

I got some great cherry boards too that are 14' and 4 boards to 4 feet wide..

Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

mesquite buckeye

American elm, another underappreciated and beautiful wood. Hard to get big ones since they die of Dutch Elm Disease. We have a large number of native woods considered "junk" that never get looked at as furniture wood. This is a great place to show them at their best.  ;D 8) 8) 8)

Harry George

Mark
I'm looking forward to seeing your project.
I have some Chinese Elm that is load with birds eye, I think that will be my next wood I start to work with. But I did quart saw some sycamore and that has been calling me, Will see. Black Walnut table is just being completed today

Monte Pittman

I am glad to see someone feature elm. Maybe a little harder to work with, but it's beautiful and worth the effort. Beautiful table.

beenthere

Welcome to the Forestry Forum.
Two identical posts... ??  Are you into elm?  ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SPIKER

Quote from: Harry George on October 16, 2013, 06:04:05 AM
Mark
I'm looking forward to seeing your project.
I have some Chinese Elm that is load with birds eye, I think that will be my next wood I start to work with. But I did quart saw some sycamore and that has been calling me, Will see. Black Walnut table is just being completed today

I have a CUT tractor so the Butt Logs had to be cut to 9 feet or so otherwise my tractor would not have been able to load them.   I have a trailer full of Red Oak waiting for my Amish Neighbor to finish one heck of a wack of White Oak logs someone dropped off to him.   

His boys are going to have some fun with them as I think most of the Butt Logs are 3~4feet pretty big for his Norwood mill.   He has worked it pretty good and had some breakdowns and issues just prior to milling my wood.    The pile of oak has not moved in 2 weeks so must have had more breakdowns...  :(   

I still have 1 butt log of Red Oak in the woods that is 9' but my 3500 lb tractor can't lift it and was hardly dragging it.   Ended up wedging each end up off the ground and parking it in woods for now.   Spalt was only part way thru the other butt log and 2nd logs so this Butt log has a additional winter to get a bit deeper.

The Elm and other Oak/Cherry I had done are under my lean to on the barn out of rain/sun but on north side of building where it stays a bit damp so not sure it will DRY very well till winter low humidity.   It gets plenty of wind there so should be ready to plane this spring (should I get time.)

Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

Deese

Harry--Beautiful Table Dude!!! :o :o :o :o
Thank you for sharing.
2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

Thank You Sponsors!