iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

It has taken over a year to find a logger for a 60 acre tract in Liberty TN

Started by just_sawing, September 12, 2013, 07:37:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

just_sawing

I am sure glad the economy is so good people don't need work. I have been trying for a year to get someone to cut a good tract of ceder. This is a fairly level 60 acres and no real obstacles just no one needing work that is willing to work.
I own and run a Sawmill operation (20 years) and the only cutters are jack leg pick up and a saw. I want it cut and not durg out over a year and finally have a reputable logger coming to look at it Saturday.
You can follow me at
www.http://haneyfamilysawmill.com

gwilson

What type of cedar is this? I know in our area there isn't a good market for it and most of it gets left in the woods.

Nemologger

Only took a year? Around here you couldn't get someone to cut it in 10 years.
Clean and Sober

Kemper

If I see a few good ones I might grab them for some fence posts, no way I would ever consider even looking at a cedar job. Wouldn't know what to do with it, but it would smell good.

just_sawing

There going $80 dollars a ton and 40 cents on ceder scale. I have quite a few that are more than 20 inches on the stump. Middle Tn has always been a decent place to find good ceder and ceder is fairly low entry cost operation but what you have is a mix of hardwood cutters and then jack leg on the bottom that don't have much more than a chainsaw.
You can follow me at
www.http://haneyfamilysawmill.com

enigmaT120

Wow.  Here cedar prices are back up over a thousand dollars per MBF, though I don't know how much if it is being bought. 

http://www.nwforestryservices.com/_fileCabinet/logs_oregon.PDF

Ed Miller
Falls City, Or

beenthere

enigma
I think your "cedars" are quite different than are being talked about in TN. ;)

You may be talking Western red cedar, and "just sawing" talking Eastern red cedar.

But then both are calling them just cedar (ceder).
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

timberlinetree

We'll be moving soon down south soon. It's getting a little to looney up here! And we  r southers by heart.nice to hear that wood needs to be cut down their. Just not shure if we are going to be bringing our skidder and forwarder or be working at my brother in law's saw mill. He cutting in VA but building a really big high end timber frame in TN. One problem up here is kids these days can.t work untill 18(using a saw) or they are playing video games.wish I lived back when like Tim McGraw sings.
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

crtreedude

Kids working is a sore point with me. By the time a kid is 18, they are just about ruined as far as learning to work. You have to catch them young to teach them the joy of work. Otherwise, they learn the joy of laying around, doing nothing.

I think often we worry about the wrong things, we worry that if we ride a bike, we might get hurt, instead of worrying if we laying around on a couch because EVERYTHING is too dangerous, we are going to die of being fat and out of shape.

So, how did I end up here anyway?

coxy

Quote from: crtreedude on September 15, 2013, 07:20:09 AM
Kids working is a sore point with me. By the time a kid is 18, they are just about ruined as far as learning to work. You have to catch them young to teach them the joy of work. Otherwise, they learn the joy of laying around, doing nothing.

I think often we worry about the wrong things, we worry that if we ride a bike, we might get hurt, instead of worrying if we laying around on a couch because EVERYTHING is too dangerous, we are going to die of being fat and out of shape.
you got that right  :) :) :)

redprospector

Quote from: crtreedude on September 15, 2013, 07:20:09 AM

Yep.

Andy
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

boltbender

I have been"in the woods" for about 44 years and I never used to have any trouble getting experienced and well qualified help but now I will not hire anyone under 40 years old because of the reasons that you fellows have just given.  I feel like we are a dying breed!  Good luck to all   Jerry

shortlogger

I always enjoy working good cedar . Done it every way from a chainsaw and a pickup to a skidder and knuckle boom . I have trouble finding any to buy around here anymore !
1 Corinthians 3:7 So then neither he who plants is anything, nor he who waters, but God who gives the increase . "NKJV"

Thank You Sponsors!