iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My Mill

Started by rvrdivr, May 09, 2004, 11:14:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rvrdivr

Just thought I'd show you all a few pictures of my mill. It is located in Branford FL.

I built this shed to protect the saw from rain and vandals. The wood I used is cypress from and old house. It was given to me for free.

I have 26 feet of usable track.

Here's my friend Randy enjoying a beer while singing "Green acres is the place to be". He was a big help when it came time to build my shed since I have a buldged disk in my lower back that is messing with my sciatic nerve. Ouch!

This is a picture of my buddy Joe sitting on a big red oak log. This log was 33 feet long 20 inches on the small end and 40 on the big end. My tractor wouldn't budge it until I cut it in half. I skidded it from my neighbor who is cutting all shorts of large trees to make pasture for his cows.

Fla._Deadheader

HEY, them Oaks is straight ::) ::) Are they imported ??? NICE logs fer Fl.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Jeff

Thats a cool way to protect the mill at a minimum expense.

As for the example of safety practices from the bud with the beer on the tractor... After a ton of years working in and around mills and logs and logging I have learned one beer can be to much if the bucket aint on the ground and the work over.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

rvrdivr

I hear what your saying Jeff and all the work was done for the day. We can put are share of beer down but we all know not to play with sharp knives while doing it!  :D

Plowboy

That's a neat little set up.  I like the house for the mill.  I bet your dog is jealous, if you have one.  

Kevin

Is that a Cment slab under the mill?

DanG

Nice setup, Brian. :)  I like the idea of the little mill-house. That's some pretty wood it's made from, too.

Glad you got some pics of the concrete slab before it gets covered up with sawdust. :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

rvrdivr

Thanks ya'll. That is 33 feet of concrete eight feet wide 5 inches deep. I put the tracks on 2x6's so I can blow out the dust. Will that work? or should I set the tracks higher?

Kevin

It should be ok,  most of the dust should be outside the bed.

RacinRex

I have been talking with the guys over at Hud-Son Mills and was wondering from an owner perspective...

How are these mills?

Are they well built?

Do they saw good Lumber with minimal setup/effort?

Underpowered?

I'd really like to get into sawing for stuff in the house and building my garage and for my hardwood floors... my hobby of building furniture. Is this the mill for me. One reason for me looking into the Hud-son mill is that they are manufactured 2 hours from my house. I can drive my Ram 2500 up there to pickup the mill and develop a repoir with them.

Please let me know, this is my first post but this board looks first rate.
81 Massey Ferguson 275 W/ loader
Stihl 046
Simplicity Bandmill
04 Dodge 2500 4x4 Quad Cab CTD
A whole shop full of wood working tools
and this is my hobby :)

T_in_SC

Great setup you have there.  I really like the mill house.

arj

RacinRex
 I have an Oscar II know an Oscar 36 for 4yrs in sept. Started out as a hobby!!  I`ve cut over 50,000 bd.ft and going stong. I love the mill no major problems, and any problems or questions quickly taken care of by hud-son. The only thing I would like is a hyd. log turner. I use my bucket loader, works great but a little slow.

travelr64

rvrdivr

Hey for the back pain, have ya ever tried an inversion table?  I have two screwed up disks and a bone spur, and it has done wonders for me where wedicine and chiropractic totally failed.  Mine is a pretty good one.  Made by Teeters Hangups.  You can do a web search and find 'em.  Might be worth looking into.

By the way nice millhouse.  Good thinkin'.

Good Luck
Coop
""Now look what you've gotten us into ! ! !

rvrdivr

RacinRex, I haven't had enough experience to give you much feed back on the Hud-Son. I cut for the first time just the day. It seems to be doing good. I almost cut my first log dog! :D
I will say it was cheaper than some of the other one's out there on the market. I paid $8k. I got the 23hp just to make sure I had enough power. I primarily got this to cut for myself as I will be building a house and a few barns soon. If I totally get into it, I would look into a nice portable with all the bells and whistles. I could always keep the ground unit for long stuff.

Travelr64, Thanks I will look into that. I have so much to do but not the back to do it with. I am a very active person and it kills me not to be busy. My next step was the steriod shot directly into the bulged disk.

Brian

rvrdivr

Here's a second load of free pine I got from my neighbor. After we finished loading, he asked me if it would be alright if I would cut him enough 2x6's to make a picinic table. Of course! ;) That was monday. Wednesday I cut and Thursday delivered him 12, 2x6's cut from the logs from his property.

Norwiscutter

I am just getting finished with the trailer modification that I am doing with my Hudson.  Have the exact same saw as you got.  You will be happy with the 23 horse... I can't really compare it to the 16 or 21 horse but when you are cutting wide logs, it is nice to have as much power as possible.  When I finish the conversion of the saw to portable I will show some pictures.  I built the same type of shed for mine while I had it on the ground... although not as pretty as yours.  One thing I noticed with that kind of shed is that if the saw head is up and you are cutting a loge close to the shed, the scale will hit on the roof.  One time I forgot that I was still in the shed and tried to raise the scale with the winch... well the scale lifted the whole shed off the ground. ;D ;D  You being set up with 30 foot of track should make it less of a problem... I only had 21 ft so the 16 foot logs were a hassel.  The trailer that I built has 30 foot of track so I can cut longer stuff.  I will tell the complete story of the trailer conversion when I post the pictures next week when I finish it. ( Like it will ever be finished.
Si vis pacem, para bellum.

Thank You Sponsors!