iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Interesting morning on the schoolbus

Started by Wildflower, September 12, 2013, 10:24:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildflower

Well this morning started out like any other day until I got to one of my stops and could not figure out why my student was laughing and pointing to the bus tire. I asked him what was so funny and he said you hit a porcupine and the quills are in your tire, I said I will look when I get to school. When I got to school this is what I found.

Co-owner of The Forestry Forum.

thecfarm

I wonder if those quills will draw into the tire? No matter what,one less of them things.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

drobertson

Mercy sakes! I never would have thought this, those rascals must be bad news,     david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

WH_Conley

I wouldn't have thought of it either. Will they work deeper with the movement of the tire?
Bill

DaleK

Quote from: WH_Conley on September 12, 2013, 11:52:43 AM
I wouldn't have thought of it either. Will they work deeper with the movement of the tire?

Yes. Get them out and hope for the best (probably even better, take the tire off, take them out and put a boot inside that spot)
Hud-Son Oscar 330
Wallenstein FX110
Echo chainsaws and a whole bunch of tractors

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

thecfarm

I see them things dead in the road quite often around here. I try very hard not to hit one with a car,dead or alive. I always wondered if the tire is no good after the hit. But I suppose it does matter how they are hit too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Tim Lea

Billyboy

Yes I have seen that before.... and dad always told us never to run over them and that the tire will just keep going flat in time after you fix it.. tho I have never proven that.

I only hit one once and just chucked the tire cos I hate fixing the things...
Mitchell

Den Socling

By design, those quills go in one direction. Ever try to pull them out of a dog? It's a bloody, nasty job.

thecfarm

I pulled them out of 2 dogs I had. One dog got into a baby porcupine. Those quills are just as fine as the hair on your head,but the quills still have the barbs in them. I had to take him to the vet and they put him under. I got out most of them,about 20-30. I could see those fine ones inside his month,but as soon as the plier touched them,he would jerk his head just a little. I even had to carry one dog out of the woods. He had touched the porcupine with his paw.

m wood

had 2 german shepherds that got a taste for them.  I've been told, and seen it first hand, that ceratain dogs keep going after them because they cant get the best of them.  I pulled every quill i could through the inside of their mouths then off to the vet we went.  Those tree killers get the 22 whenever I see them.  That was in Oregon, I never see them in my area of NY.
I am Mark
80 acre woodlot lots of hard and soft
modified nissan 4x4/welding rig
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
"her" wildthing limber saw
ALL the rustic furniture  woodworking stuff
check out FB

Chuck White

On my brothers 300 acre parcel, they took care of 45 quilly pigs last year!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

:D  That is one way to generate "show and tell" interest with the students.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

easymoney

i do not remember seeing any porkies around here but we have plenty of armadillos. they are road kill a lot. i think they followed the mexicans to this area. :D

Wildflower

The kids were very interested in the picture I took. I have the quills, I am going to try and use them in a project.  ;D
Co-owner of The Forestry Forum.

Philmo

Wow, that looks kind of strange. I wonder how it happened that the porcupine touched the wheel and not the front of the bus. Maybe the porcupine crashed into the bus and not the other way around.

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum Philmo.  How about an intro thread and sharing some of your sawing/lumber interest  ???   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

r.man

Porcupines will try to eat a tire. They will not eat much of any one tire but we once had one get into a storage area that held tires good enough for tractors or wagons and the porc ate part of every sidewall in the room. Had to throw out over ten tires. I have adopted my fathers stance on porcupines, kill any around civilization and leave the ones in the bush alone. I have known them to eat both tires and the siding on a cottage.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

Cedarman

With all those quills, it is a wonder they make babies.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

barbender

I've read that researchers have found that most porcupines have healed fractured bones, presumably from falling out of trees. I usually don't bug them as long as they stay away from the house, I don't want the dogs getting into them. They can damage a lot of timber sometimes, it seems some years they do more bark eating than others. Oh, the researchers I mentioned said that porcupines breed just like you would expect- very carefully ::)
Too many irons in the fire

barbender

A crazy story, I had a great uncle that had a tame pet porky, Uncle would watch TV and the thing would come crawl on his LAP. I guess it would even make a purring noise when he pet it :o I am not making this up, I never saw it myself but many family members saw him with that crazy thing (or maybe Uncle was the crazy thing). The porcupine was free to come and go as it pleased, and after it had been absent for a while Uncle saw porky  in the yard one day, Uncle got porky in the house, but porky seemed not quite himself. Then Uncle saw another porky outside, it turned out to be his pet one. The more the merrier I guess ::) As you can imagine, my uncle was quite a character- even the porcupines didn't quite know how to deal with him :)
Too many irons in the fire

Thank You Sponsors!