iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Look how this Forestry Forum works! Very nice project report!

Started by rasman57, September 11, 2013, 11:47:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rasman57

This is such a great forum and source for information!  I came here seeking info on turning my dead Oaks and Ash into board lumber for a barn and cabin project.  I can cut firewood and build with lumber but like most folks had never seen a tree turned into beautiful boards with a portable mill.  Based on the research and support I found here, I decided to do the project.  I was thrilled to find another forum member, Pete (Sawyer Brown) who travels with his SUPER NICE WOODMIZER and help out guys just like me.

I did my part and got em down and bucked, cleaned them up and moved them into a pile.  Pete shows up with this cool rig and before long we are into the pile and the lumber is just amazing.  Red Oak and Ash that is really nice!  I have a couple helpers and based on what I gathered from the collective wisdom on the site, we sweep and blow off the sawdust, sticker and stack and in a day and a half I put up about 1600 board feet of really beautiful useful wood for the project! The photo shows about 2/3rds of the stack as the rest got put up after dark.   Pete worked in 90 degree heat and humidity here in Illinois and never missed a beat.  He kept sawin and smiling with the rest of us.  It was a long second day but 1200 feet later we were done.. Pete warmed us up the first half day with 400 ft. as he took the questions and explained the process and started us rookies off nice and easy.   the full day was a lot of well organized sweating and carrying but well worth the effort.

That Woodmizer drew a crowd!  Quite a mill and it impressed all of us.  Watching it work was enjoyable and instructive.   Pete explained the process and took the time to get me the best wood we could from the logs and the results were great!  And no metal!  I used my cheapo detector that I use for finding tractor pins and hardware in the grass and it said we were good but I was still worried as the trees were here before we built nearly 30 years ago.  I got lucky all the way around! 

Many thanks to the FF and all of you.  Great source and interesting, instructional information and helped me with my project.  You know how this goes... now my neighbor the farmer wants Petes card as he didn't know anything like that machine was around........  :D

GAmillworker

Thank the Lord for second chances

amgont75

Andrew From Arizona

WmFritz

Welcome to the Forestry Forum. Thanks for the photo's and look forward to see your projects come together.
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

drobertson

Nice to see a happy person, nothing like making your own lumber,   david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

MRowsh

LogMaster LM2 with Kubota V1305 Diesel conversion.
There is a price for everything in life!!!  No free lunches!
Retired US Army.

thecfarm

Now you are almost ready for the building. Take pictures as you go and show them to us.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

dboyt

Outstanding!  Just about everyone on the forum is an instant friend, and it is always a pleasure to meet a member in person.  One concern is about the circulation of air through your lumber stacks.  On the other hand, I can see the logic of leaving room in the carport for your sawmill, when you get one.  You can't tell me you haven't been bitten by the bug!
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

rasman57

Quote from: dboyt on September 12, 2013, 09:00:28 AM
Outstanding!  Just about everyone on the forum is an instant friend, and it is always a pleasure to meet a member in person.  One concern is about the circulation of air through your lumber stacks.  On the other hand, I can see the logic of leaving room in the carport for your sawmill, when you get one.  You can't tell me you haven't been bitten by the bug!

You sir, are correct,  and one of the main enablers for me moving forward with this project.  Back in the 70's, we called you the pusherman...... :D      I have a couple fans going 24/7 and left room around the stacks.  I was bitten hard;  but Nancy Reagan was right about dangerous drugs...."Just Say NO!  Just say NO....

I built a homemade log arch from some misc stuff I had tucked away and it fits right in the middle by the wood it hauled..

SawyerBrown

OK, just a word about rasman57 and his crew ... had to have been the best organized, hardest working, fun bunch I've had the pleasure to do business with.  Sure kept me humpin'!  And he did end up with some gorgeous lumber.  Yet another reminder about why I (and probably many of us in FF) got into this in the first place ... saving urban logs from the fireplace, making new friends, working outdoors, sweating my butt off ... (well, maybe not that last part  ;D )

Ras, I know this is the "forestry" forum, but some of the guys might be interested in seeing the project(s) in your garage ... if you'd care to share.  And your old tractors.
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

Jemclimber

Tractors and projects??  Absolutely. Lets see them.   ;D
lt15

customsawyer

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

morgoon

Homemade bandsaw, made by my mentor and dear friend Unto...who turned 85 this year

And I just made my first longbow...awesome

Nomad

Sounds like a good time was had by all.  And I'll bet he was grinning while he was sweating that butt off, too! :D
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

rasman57

Well I had an excuse to use my 1939 Allis Chalmers B for mowing where the WOOD-MIZER was gonna be setup to mill.  Then, I needed the 1956 Case 310 Roundnose  loader tractor to push logs to the mill and transport lumber to be stacked and stickered.   Pete threw all the flitches and sawdust and bark in my 1959 Chevy Apache Pickup and somehow they became an Ash bed and Oak sideboards.. ;)    I like restoring and using the old working iron.   They all earn their keep but the old Chevy mostly shows off now.  But that old straight 6 cylinder and 4 speed gearbox with granny gear low would pull a log or two if I brought it out of retirement.

downsouth

WOW!!!
  That's some really nice old iron.
Congrats on all the projects and good luck with the future ones,

thecfarm

Nice looking old stuff and than some!!!!!  Really like those pictures of that Chevy truck. Almost looks like a commericial. No snow on the tires. That last picture with the house in the background should be framed. It all just kinda blends in together.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Planman1954

A man next to my own heart! I love restoring old items. Most are better than ANYTHING you can get today due to heavier construction. The wood on the pickup looks great. Good job.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 / Solar Dry Kiln /1943 Ford 9n tractor

isawlogs

A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

rasman57

Quote from: thecfarm on September 14, 2013, 10:36:56 AM
Nice looking old stuff and than some!!!!!  Really like those pictures of that Chevy truck. Almost looks like a commericial. No snow on the tires. That last picture with the house in the background should be framed. It all just kinda blends in together.

I got lucky on that photo.  We wanted to use it for a Christmas card and boy did it turn out nice.  Was a perfect cold day with hard pack snow on the ground and in the street.   My favorite shot of Old Blue. :snowball:

mad murdock

Having to clean the drool off my screen after those pics!  Nice job on the restores, and great job on getting all you did out of those trees!   8)
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

slider

al glenn

terrifictimbersllc

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Magicman

Wowser for sure.  That is a fine collection.

Thanks SawyerBrown for flushing rasman57 out and making him expose the goods.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!