iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I want to buy a saw mill

Started by Oldskool56, September 11, 2013, 10:17:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldskool56

I want to buy a sawmill is a Hud-Son a good start ? I want to cut lumber for my own use .

drobertson

Yep, this one will work for you,  they are all good for this type of work, it boils down to how much cash is available for the buy.    david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Magicman

Hello Oldskool56, and Welcome to the Forestry Forum.

Now that you are here, how about sharing more about your sawing and woodworking/lumber interest.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

dgdrls

Good morning Oldskool56,
welcome to the FF,  great group here.
Take a look at all the builders to the left.
Lots of great info to search/ask here on the forum.

DGDrls

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Oldskool56
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

dboyt

Quote from: dgdrls on September 12, 2013, 06:06:21 AM
Good morning Oldskool56,
welcome to the FF,  great group here.
Take a look at all the builders to the left.
Lots of great info to search/ask here on the forum.

DGDrls

smiley_thumbsup

Welcome to the forum!  What kind of logs, how big?  What do you have in mind for your own use?  The manufacturers on the left side of the screen are sponsors of the forum.  Check 'em out!
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Sound like you're getting the sawdust fever.

After sawing a WHACK or TWO.....if you need advice on stacking and stickering it, you've come to the right place.  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

justallan1

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Oldskool56.
I have the Hudson hfe21 and love it. I saw a lot of cedar power poles and some pine and it does the job just fine.
I have never even seen another mill so have nothing to compare it with, but do lots of research and figure out the most you will ever do with a mill and go from there.
For what I do I would buy another Hudson. If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

Allan

thecfarm

Oldskool56,welcome to the forum. Don't rush into buying a mill without seeing,in person,other mills. Hudson mills are fine.but look around and the fever might really get you. I bet I looked for 20 years before I bought one. This was before the internet and lack of money kept the fever down too. I have no idea what is in your area. But it's worth a 2-3 hour drive to see sawmills in motion at a fair or a woods expo. How are you going to get the logs to the mill? Good luck.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

MRowsh

Greeting Oldskool56. Welcome to the FF, And thanks for joining. Now I am not the newest greenhorn member!!

And I agree with good people who said; getting a lot of research done by yourself before investing in a purchase. Educate yourself, and look at the entire picture, not just few areas of it.  There are many experienced sawyers here, who are actually honest and good human beings who will send you honest response to your questions.

And of course, your budget got the last word!!
LogMaster LM2 with Kubota V1305 Diesel conversion.
There is a price for everything in life!!!  No free lunches!
Retired US Army.

GAB

Mr Rowsh said - "And of course, your budget got the last word!!"
And I thought it was the financial advisor and/or spouse. Oh silly me.
Mr Skool: As the others have said take your time and do some investigative research.
If you are near, or can make it, try going to the Paul Bunyan show in Ohio in early Oct. this would give you an opportunity to see and observe quite a few different models and manufacturers all in one spot.  The best one for you will depend on what you desire to do.  Oh, by the way - welcome to the forum.  Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Thank You Sponsors!