iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Kinda a burl

Started by thecfarm, September 11, 2013, 09:11:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thecfarm

We took a 4 hour ride and saw this in Lincoln. I saw this and I had to turn around to check it out. The guy claimed he saved it from a dead yellow birch.

$1000 and it could be on Gordon Hill right now.

Pictures did not come out too good,no matter what side I was on. I said kinda a burl. It was only about a foot thick. Almost like taking a pancake and wrapping it around a small tree.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

In the first picture, that must be the burl on the right.  :o  Looks gnarly.   :D :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

They come in pairs,where's Poston???   :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WDH

Never saw a burl with a hat. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

Or that good looking.  8)  8)

Farmerjw

I'd hate to be the one cutting that open.  Wonder if there is a big ole RR spike in the center or an old workhorse shoe. 
Premier Bovine Scatologist

grweldon

Quote from: WDH on September 11, 2013, 10:07:34 PM
Never saw a burl with a hat.

You don't remember Burl Ives as the snowman in "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Raindeer"?  He had a hat!
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: thecfarm on September 11, 2013, 10:03:06 PM
They come in pairs,where's Poston???   :D

Here I am. I saw that Burl last night before I went to bed and had bad dreams. That thing looks like the "BLOB" in that old 50's scary movie......but the one in the movie didn't wear a hat.  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

thecfarm

Poston,I posted this in the Frick mill setup starts thread,ddcunning thread
A working museum piece. I would be smiling too. NC is probably about a 24 hour drive from Maine,DanG. I would enjoy seeing and hearing that wonderful mill sawmiil.

Roadtrip or better yet I'll tell the wife we are going on a Mystery Ride. She'll never figure this ride out.  ;D  I'll stop at your place,won't pull into the yard.I don't want a flat tire,  :D and I will show you what a Northern "BLOB" that wears a hat thinks of that remark.  :D  You will be a "BLOB" when I get done with ya.  :D  Than onto to hearing a wonderful looking sawmill ran. I'm packing my toothbrush now.   :D 

mesquite buckeye

Maybe he can keep it for sale until it cracks to pieces and degrades to being worth nothing. :snowball:
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

hackberry jake

My first thought was lifesized corn pop. Ya know "pops" the cereal. Now we have "jake flakes" poston puffs" and "thecfarm pops". Im getting hungry!
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

thecfarm

I remember thecfarm grits from a few years back.  :D  :D   :D   :D  I know Jeff does too.  :D  :D   :D      :D 
but you are right about it looking like a pop.

Thank You Sponsors!