iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

If this Walnut job was a Fishing Trip......I lost my Bass!

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, September 11, 2013, 05:00:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Sometimes its hard to give someone a price on a job. A customer brought in a 12 foot, straight Walnut log, a smaller straight Walnut log and a crotch to be sawn.
He says the tree had been hit by lightning in the middle of a field. The logs look like a no brainer to me.
I said I would saw them 6/4 x wide per his order and 4 inch gun stock slabs from the crotch.

I figured 3 hours @ $50 per hour plus $10 for a little chainsawing for a total of $160.00. He said fine. Then I explained about the metal factor at $25 per blade.....Oh....no problem Dave....there are no nails in this tree, it came out of the middle of a field.  ::)

Short story Long.....6 hours later after hitting 9 nails, digging what I could out, sending pics to him and numerous text messages, try to balance a huge crotch on the mill to be sawn, waiting on him to call his wife to get her opinion on what she wanted done......I STILL AIN'T FINISHED!!! Waiting on the Guy and his wife to look at the 10 x 9 x 9 foot cant, full of nails, to see if they want me to continue sawing. I have already damaged 5 blades on this job and sat waiting on a response from him by text every time I hit a nail......that's not suppose to be in there because the tree came out of the middle of a field!!!!!

Started out as a beautiful Walnut Log, 12 foot long.

Then it hit the fan!

So I saw off 2-3 feet of the log where the nails were LOADED in the wood.

Now I figure I have at least a 9 foot cant to get some pretty lumber out of.....Oh no....it just ain't my day!
Right dead in the center of the cant more GOLD.  8)

So I just take the cant off and they will be here around 6pm to look at it.

The 2nd logs sawed really nice.....good looking boards.

So now, let's put the crotch on the mill and saw some gun stock material.
I try to load it on the bed and get it all hung up every which way but loose. Its only 30 inches long and by my estimate weighs 30,000 pounds!!!! :D You gotta understand, its 92 degrees out there but feels like 98 with NO breeze.
So I turn the back hoe around, get the crotch out from being wedged between the bed rails.

Now I take it around to the other door and use the backhoe like a crane. But I can only get the crotch barely on the mill.
Oh...no problem, I've seen other people on the forum solve this problem. So I put chains and straps around it and I'm a gonna drag it back to the clamp using the head of the mill.

Please DO NOT try this.  :D :D :D Breakers will start kicking off.  electricuted-smiley electricuted-smiley electricuted-smiley
So now I let everything cool down for a second and turn the breakers back on.

Plan B......get the jack, Jack!
Using my railroad jack as a come along, I get the crotch in position and saw it up. Beautiful wood.

Like I said before, Now I'm just waiting on the customer and his Boss wife to see if they want the naily cant sawn.

They are paying for 4 blades.....but that ain't nothing for the time I lost.

I thing we both lost out today. He lost a lot of good Walnut and I lost valuable time. Sometimes ya just cannot figures things.  say_what
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

thecfarm

Tires and beams is where the money is.  :D  Kick a man when he's down.  ;D
Ain't you learned by now the,"There's no way there is metal in that log" is right up there with a walnut log that is worth $1000 and I have some trees that are 3 feet in size.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

calw1izl

I see you had a day in paradise  ::)  Things can only get better !
Cal  W1IZL
Cook Saw HD3238, Case 584CK, Cats Claw Sharpener, Setter, way too many misc woodworking tools and equipment

fishpharmer

Thanks for taking time to share that David.  This is a good lesson for those contemplating custom milling.   Some day's you catch the limit.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

mesquite buckeye

I think one day like that and I would be in search of metal detector. :-\
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

rmack

Quote from: thecfarm on September 11, 2013, 05:20:34 PM
Tires and beams is where the money is.  :D  Kick a man when he's down.  ;D
Ain't you learned by now the,"There's no way there is metal in that log" is right up there with a walnut log that is worth $1000 and I have some trees that are 3 feet in size.

I have logs that are 3 feet in diameter, but I will be milling them myself  ;D

Too bad about the nails, is there such a thing as carbide tipped blades in 1 1/4?
the foundation for a successful life is being able to recognize what to least expect the most... (anonymous)

Welder Bob
2012 LT40HDSD35 Yanmar Diesel Triple
1972 Patrick AR-5
Massey Ferguson GC2410TLB Diesel Triple
Belsaw Boat Anchor

Axe Handle Hound

You're a patient man Poston...I would have had a bonfire going by the 4 hour mark.   ;)

Magicman

David, the end of the first log on the sawmill told you that metal was inside before you ever put a blade into it.   :P
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ron Wenrich

Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

SPIKER

Quote from: Magicman on September 11, 2013, 06:22:41 PM
David, the end of the first log on the sawmill told you that metal was inside before you ever put a blade into it.   :P

Majic  You mean the blue stain on the log cut end is #1 indicator of metal inside the log correct?

Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

mesquite buckeye

Maybe a long series of NO HUNTING/TRESPASSING signs posted over the years. We have a neighbor who likes to post his land on my side of line on walnut trees. I pull the nails as soon as I see them. When they are on his side, I leave them. ;D 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on September 11, 2013, 06:22:41 PM

I did see that Magic but the customer TOLD me there wasn't any metal in that log.  :D :D :D
(Can't help it Lynn.......you got me!  :D)

drobertson

This is a bonified scrap heap, the butt cut shows it, purple is bad, walnut and oak are the best for showing, many others heal over with no sign of iron,  been there and done it, in fact just finished a real nice cedar, " all by itself") in a field :D  one single deck screw,  all said, hills and valleys,  just gotta be on the look out, purple is bad >:(    david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The customers just left and will be back with their trailer on Saturday to pick their Lumber ::) up.
They paid me my $160 plus $100 for 4 blades and gave me another $100 for my time. I really thought that was pretty nice of them.
I found out this tree came off of the Wife's Grand-Fathers land. Their plans are to build a sliding kitchen barn door and to make gun stocks from the crotch.
Pictured is the heart part of the Walnut where I stopped. This will be used as a bench on their stone floor patio in front of their fire pit.

red oaks lumber

the blue end is a dead give away... no sawing, you had time to go fishing.
you can tell a sawyer from s.carolina, you just cant tell them much. :D david i have a heap of slightly metaled cants free for the taking.  :snowball:
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

POSTON WIDEHEAD

JohnM

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on September 11, 2013, 05:00:11 PM
You gotta understand, its 92 degrees out there but feels like 98 with NO breeze.
You know what you oughta try?!!  One of those portable battery thingies and plug a fan into it.  Seems I've seen that someplace on the interwebs, don't recall where. ???  Looked slick though!  ;)

smiley_curtain_peek  smiley_horserider :D

That's a bummer all the way around though, they didn't get what they hoped for and you couldn't help them as much as you tried.  Very nice of them to compensate you for the time!
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

Corley5

Grandpa never sawed many walnut logs because he hit metal in everyone he did so he refused to saw them.  Black walnut isn't native up here but grows well in people's yards.  We've got a pair in the barnyard with a piece of chain hanging out of one.  There aren't as many links showing now as there used to be  ;) ;D
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: JohnM on September 11, 2013, 08:15:42 PM
Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on September 11, 2013, 05:00:11 PM
You gotta understand, its 92 degrees out there but feels like 98 with NO breeze.
You know what you oughta try?!!  One of those portable battery thingies and plug a fan into it.  Seems I've seen that someplace on the interwebs, don't recall where. ???  Looked slick though!  ;)

:D :D :D Good One John!  :D :D :D I saw it somewhere too!  :D :D :D

Peter Drouin

I have a customer stand there and tell me [ no Nails] I go get the metal detector and sweep the log and it goes off. ;D  laugh_at
Saves me a lot of  smiley_furious3
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

julio

If you put your finger in your ear and scratch, it sounds like PacMan.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

WDH

I hate custom sawing  :).  The last walnut that I custom sawed was full of nails and bullets.  I can imagine you there David, sweat running down your face, shirt and pants soaking wet down to your underwear and socks, and a recalcitrant walnut crotchety log.  No POWER BOX and FAN to help you.

That really sucks.  But, you got a $100 tip, so at least you can go out and eat Chinese.   
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Dodgy Loner's log.

Dodgy Loner chopping on Dodgy Loner's log.

Inside of Dodgy Loner's log.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!