iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Moving logs from log pile to sawmill

Started by Rod, May 09, 2004, 09:10:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rod

So what do you think is the best way to move logs from the log pile and load them on a manual sawmill without using a tractor.

Percy

Hey Rod.
When I got my first mill, I used to buck them, one piece at a time and roll them to the mill. If you use a good cant hook/peavey, and roll the log onto a 4X4 that has one end ramped, you can turn  and AIM the log at the mill quite easily. By the time you get real good at it , youll look like Arnold Swarzzenager(You know the guy...govner) :D :D :D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Plowboy

If you have a portable mill move your mill close to the pile and set your ramps up and carefully roll the logs off the pile and up the ramps.  Thats how we do it.

Fla._Deadheader

What a bunch of wimps ::) When we had the "Swamp Shenanigan", the DanGster dug a big old Sweet Gum outta the local Dozer Pile, and dragged it ½ a ¼ to the mill. He then professed, There ya go, saw that up. ::) ::) ::) ;D :D :D :D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

shopteacher

Using DanG to pull them for ya would be OK, but I rather have one of them big buxem Swedish girls draging mine. :D ;D :D
Swede: you got any volunteers over there. ???
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

Tom

I have a picture of nifty log loader around here somewhere. ;D

rbarshaw

I made a log arch that I use to carry the log to the mill, then a couple of i-beams and a comealong and chain to roll the log onto the mill.
Been doing so much with so little for so long I can now do anything with nothing, except help from y'all!
By the way rbarshaw is short for Robert Barshaw.
My Second Mill Is Shopbuilt 64HP,37" wheels, still a work in progress.

DanG

FDH, ya gotta admit, having a Ford Dooley with a winch made that a lot easier! :D :D :D

I got along without equipment for a while, myself. I found that it ain't hard to drag a pretty big log with an ordinary truck. Just choke the log with a chain, and tie it up close to the trailer hitch. The shorter the chain, the more it will lift the front end of the log, and the easier it is to drag. I've moved some 30"x20' pine logs, this way, using a 2wd truck. You'll leave some skid marks in the grass, and get some dirt on the logs. but you'll get'em there. :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Bigdogpc

I've got a boom welded into the back of an old Ford Bronco and I drag logs to the mill with it.  I drop the log in front of the loading ramps and cant hook it onto the mill.

At least that is how I was doing it.  I have access to a Bobcat now and use it instead.

Rod

Well I made a log deck using 8''X8''X16',then on the back of it I nailed boards across the 8X8's for a deck,with a ramp on the sibe,then I hooked a pulley to a tree.

I drag the logs to the side of the log deck,hook the logs or to a cable that runs though the pulley that is hooked to a tree on the other side of the log deck,then I hook the truck to the other end of the cable and and pull the logs upon the log deck.

The log deck is sloped down to the mill so now all you have to do is give in a kick with your foot and the log is on the mill.

Maybe I should patent the idea

Maybe I should of used  Percy idea and the I might of became a govener some day.

raycon

How far from the log pile to the mill? The last few weeks I've been using the manual winch & ramps (log loading package on a woodmizer manual mill) and its been working out better than expected. I'm milling timbers and the logs I've been loading have been 16-24' in length and up to 24" in diameter (tops) white pine & spruce. I've stopped using the tractor for the time being to load the mill. I spend more time leveling the heart on the mill then loading the logs.
If your mills on wheels bring the  mill to the log pile.

Lot of stuff..

Rod

Ray,I'm about 150 feet away from the log pile.and most the time I pull 2 to  4 logs on the deck at one time.If they were 30'' by 16 feet long I'd just pull one at a time then.most of my logs are 2 foot and under.and 8,10,12 foot long.

Rod

jimbo

i just use the hillside and setup below the logpile, with a canthook roll them onto the mill

Swede

shopteacher;

If I find any girl who wants to load logs I´ll find anyting for her to do around Amerika-Sågen.  Swedish girls do NOT load logs, for the moment I don´t even know any girl who wants to talk to anyone loading logs.
Why do You think I spend all that time and money for design  and making log lifter on my saw mill if I could find a nice girl loading them for me?  :D :D :D JUST for the risk of  wrong  measures and sawing log stops, heh?

Swede.
Had a mobile band sawmill, All hydraulics  for logs 30\"x19´, remote control. (sold it 2009-04-13)
Monkey Blades.Sold them too)
Jonsered 535/15\". Just cut firewood now.

Tom

Things can be different in the USA.  Here in Florida,
I was proud to have Tammy off-bearing my mill for a
little over a year.  She finally took over the LT40 and
did onsite sawing until getting a job with the railroad.

Tam-i-am

The first time I ever turned a log I broke the dang Peavey handle. I then told Kevin if he wanted my help I needed better equipment. ;)  

I will be in Richmond if you want to see a girl turn a log.

TamIam
Get Stuff Moving Today!  www.bluecreeper.com  www.facebook.com/Bluecreeper

Tom

Welcome to the forum   Great first post.  I see you have one of those new,  high-tech, cant hooks. :D

Tam-i-am

Thanks I think they are pretty slick!  Except the color I was hoping for hot pink but then no man would use it. :D

TamIam
Get Stuff Moving Today!  www.bluecreeper.com  www.facebook.com/Bluecreeper

Pete J

Hmmmmnnn, maybe we should make some "Hot Pink" LogRite shirts to sell?

Not!!!!!

Swede

I use to offer my customers to break my "Swede made" cant hook for free. They just look at it and then give me an eye  ::).
No high tec! Just some iron pieces laying in the workshop.

Swede.
Had a mobile band sawmill, All hydraulics  for logs 30\"x19´, remote control. (sold it 2009-04-13)

Tom

I've got some Farmer's sons around here that could just pick the logs up and put them where you want. :D

Farmer says "Boy!  Go get that log."

Boy says, "Yes Papa.".  .........and he doesn't even walk toward the tractor. :D

Swede

:D :D :D :D :D

Tom, me and shopteacher are NOT talking about BOYS moving logs! There is a difference............. ;D

But the farmer boys around there are also welcome to thy to breake the Swede hook. For free!  ;D

Swede.

Tom

Shamus

Tom that last post was a real devilish milestone. You've put some heavy mileage on your post-ometer, keep on truckin'...

Who's got the most posts on this forum?
D&L Doublecut Synchro sawmill, Procut chainsaw mill, John Deere crawler loader,  F350 4x4 flatdeck, 20 ton logsplitter, running Stihls

Thank You Sponsors!