iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

JD 540D stiff steering issues. Any ideas???

Started by lumberjill, September 11, 2013, 12:03:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lumberjill

I run an 88 JD 540D and my steering gets really stiff after running a few hours and the winch gets tight too. Replaced the hydraulic pump and all the filters but it seems like it is worse now. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Compensation

Welcome to the forum. I don't know the layout or components of your machine but i will take a shot. Pressure control valve gets hot and sticks open maybe? Just a guess
D4D caterpillar, lt10 Woodmizer, 8x12 solar kiln, enough Stihl's to make my garages smell like their factory :) Ohh and built Ford tough baby!

beenthere

Welcome to the Forestry Forum.

We'd be interested in the work you are doing with the JD 540D. Been running this one long?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

lumberjill

@Compensation I will check that out, thank you. And @beenthere, we are a 2 man manual felling crew. We have been cutting for a mill here in Norwestern Pa and have been running the 540 for 6yrs.

snowstorm

was the stand by pressure set on the pump? or did you just bolt one on? its a closed center system. find someone local that works on them everyday has the test gear and have him look at it. it will be cheaper in the long run

PaYoungBuck

I'm also here in nw pa about an hour south of Erie. We are fortunate enough to have a very good independent jd mechanic in town. If I would have to guess a valve is sticking. Does the blade work as it should?

cutter88

I have a 1988 640d... ide say the valve or mabie  problem with that small accumulator up by the rad
Romans 10 vs 9 
650G lgp Deere , 640D deere, 644B deere loader, 247B cat, 4290 spit fire , home made fire wood processor, 2008 dodge diesel  and a bunch of huskys and jonsereds (IN MEMORY OF BARRY ROGERSON)

Thank You Sponsors!