iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

oak prices ?

Started by board, September 10, 2013, 08:26:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

board

Want to buy some white oak and red oak saw logs here in illinois.  I was going to put an add in the paper but I want to be fair about the pricing ,so I was wondering if anybody knew what to pay per mbf ?
paul

drobertson

board, it will depend on the grade of the logs. around here the avg, is 300/ths.  Finding a logger is the trick, small orders will cost more, you will have to do some work to get them,  hope it works out for you,  david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

beenthere

What grade of log are you looking for? Or what is your requirement for quality?
Maybe you want to buy veneer logs for sawing, or sawlogs with 1 to 4 clear faces (that would be four grades), or tie logs with limits on quality and size, or pallet logs.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

board

Thanks David, thats about what I was thinking , I just wanted to make sure I was in the ballpark.
paul

hackberry jake

Around here the big boys get em for bout 230/1000. These are tie grade logs mainly.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

board

That does not sound to bad ,I was thinking about offering 300 to 350/1000 I am not looking at getting veneer logs.
paul

Banjo picker

Around here its hard to get loggers to sell by the mbf.  Several buyers in the area that pay by the ton.  Makes it hard on the little guy with no scales.  Don't know how it is in your area.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

board

I dont  have scales but I was just wondering when you say they pay by the ton , dose that average out about the same as by the board foot.
paul

beenthere

If buying by weight, best have a good handle on the bf scale of the logs purchased and keep track of the yield of lumber from these logs. That way one can better relate to the value of the purchase.
i.e buy a load of logs and scale each log before sawing, and tally the lumber after sawing.

Decide if weight-buying is fair to your operation, or not. Try to adjust as you go along, or at least figure out where you stand on the money side of things.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

drobertson

best I can remember, 26 bucks a ton is around .15 a bdft,  the deviser is 12,   12lbs per bdft in the log.  Not a bad way to go except for junk centers on many of the logs,   david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Thank You Sponsors!