iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Price question

Started by Raider Bill, September 10, 2013, 06:04:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raider Bill

Roughly what would a truck load like this sell for?

Loblolly pine S.E. Tenn

Doesn't have to be exact just curious.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Raider Bill

I guess if I attached the picture it would be a lot easier to guess.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

NWP

$200 on the stump or at the mill?

1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

WDH

Stumpage, or the value of the trees only.  Delivered including logging and hauling would be more like $675.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

mesquite buckeye

Them are some skinny trees. Going for utility poles, roundwood uses?
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

WDH

Pulpwood to make cardboard or packaging most likely. 

mesquite buckeye

Thinnings or grown for that?
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

NWP

Thanks WDH. I figured that must be stumpage. At $675 per load, you'd have to move volume to make money.
1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

WDH

Most SYP plantations are thinned to select out the smaller, poorer performing trees in order to select and leave the best trees to grow into sawlogs.  This happens usually between the ages of 12 - 17.  At this age, the thinned trees only have value as pulpwood because of size and because the stem has a high percentage of juvenile core to the total volume of wood.

My estimate is about right if the picture came from Tennessee.  If it came from North Florida or South Georgia, the value would be higher.  The stumapge would be more like $350 and the total delivered load including logging and hauling would be more like $800.

grweldon

I thought I needed some land cleared about 5 years ago and I know log prices fluctuate quite a bit.  The logger was offering me $150 for each truckload like the one shown with 3" tops.  I almost took it but since I would not be there to count the truckloads and the logger couldn't convince me he wouldn't short me, I declined.
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

Raider Bill

65 acres across the Co Rd from me sold effective Sept 1st. [124k] The new owners had a logging crew there last Friday clear cutting. This was planted the same time as my land and actually was attached to mine but I didn't want to own land across the road.
Rumors are that they are paying the land off with this wood but I think they are going to be a bit short at those prices. Supposedly they are only cutting 1/2 and using the land for cattle grazing and building a house on top of the nob. The nob is tough to get up in dry conditions with a ATV so I'm not sure what their thoughts are about that.
I'm also thinking they will have a lot of stump work to do before cattle can graze there.

grweldon

Beautiful land Bill!  Is your place just as pretty?
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

Kemper

I've never had a land owner watch or count loads coming out, at least to my knowledge. We are a small community and most of us know one another, but if someone told me they needed to count the loads I would probably pass on the job. No offense to you, but I would think that land owner may become a head ache. There has to be trust in our business, I've had land owners that I held their checks for over six months before they came and got them. Sometimes even good wood isn't worth putting up with the head aches some land owners can cause.

Quote from: grweldon on September 11, 2013, 08:14:46 AM
I thought I needed some land cleared about 5 years ago and I know log prices fluctuate quite a bit.  The logger was offering me $150 for each truckload like the one shown with 3" tops.  I almost took it but since I would not be there to count the truckloads and the logger couldn't convince me he wouldn't short me, I declined.

Raider Bill

Quote from: grweldon on September 11, 2013, 10:01:04 AM
Beautiful land Bill!  Is your place just as pretty?

I think mine has more views and workable land otherwise it's the same. The nob on this land does have a spectacular view of the cherahola skyway but that's about it unless you doze everything off the top.
I can't imagine driving to the top as a driveway though. It's steep and narrow.

Just found out it's a couple from atlanta wanting to escape the big city. Wonder where I've heard that before....

I heard they were going to cut their own trees, buy a sawmill and build a timber frame house and move in within 18 months ;D ;D

thecfarm

I wonder what thier user name will be when they find the FF.  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Corley5

I had a job a couple years ago that the land owner counted each load, made his own estimate of what was on each load and what the material was (pulp, sawlogs etc) including the date and time of day each load left.  I keep good records and don't cheat and am glad I didn't make a mistake on that job.  In the end he wasn't happy with what I did anyway.  He was thinking I was a landscaper too I guess.  I didn't get invited back to cut the rest of the job.  Didn't hurt my feelings a bit  8) 8) 8)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

CCC4

Quote from: Raider Bill on September 10, 2013, 08:25:30 PM
I guess if I attached the picture it would be a lot easier to guess.

If those butts were 8" and under you would get $41 a ton here at the pole yard.

Kemper

That's exactly what I'm talking about.

Quote from: Corley5 on September 11, 2013, 07:20:29 PM
I had a job a couple years ago that the land owner counted each load, made his own estimate of what was on each load and what the material was (pulp, sawlogs etc) including the date and time of day each load left.  I keep good records and don't cheat and am glad I didn't make a mistake on that job.  In the end he wasn't happy with what I did anyway.  He was thinking I was a landscaper too I guess.  I didn't get invited back to cut the rest of the job.  Didn't hurt my feelings a bit  8) 8) 8)

Thank You Sponsors!