iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Uses for Basswood? stickers?

Started by etroup10, September 10, 2013, 01:23:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

etroup10

Hey, I was just wondering what you guys do with any basswood you mill? I don't think there is too much of a market for it in my area. I was thinking it might make good stickers since it is pretty straight grained and I don't think it would stain easily?
NHLA 187th class, lumber inspector. EZ Boardwalk 40 with homemade hydraulics; Gafner Hydraloader; custom built edger, Massey Ferguson 50E, American Sawmill 20" Pony Planer; Husqvarna 55 Rancher

Bibbyman

It's used by wood carvers to make things like duck decoys.   My son Chris traps all manor of fur bearing critters and makes drying boards out of basswood.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

ladylake

Works good for stickers but it doesn't take much to make a lot of stickers.  It makes really nice wall covering, T@G or board and batten.  The dark heartwood contrasts with the white outside wood real nice, also carvers love it.    Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

mesquite buckeye

Another underutilized hardwood. Would be great for any kind of painted millwork not requiring strength. Takes up stain well and has a subtle figure. Some is fiddleback or curly. ;D 8) 8) 8)
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

NMFP

Fur Stretchers.  I saw alot of 5/8" baswood 9" and wider for guys to make stretchers.  Only requirement is to hold a pin and be solid.  Can have knots, pith and so on.

Probably sawn 10-12mbf over the past few years.

Tends to get stringy though on the outfeed side of the band though.

red oaks lumber

many many uses. we still use over 100,000 bf per yr. carving stock, wall paneling, fur boards, fillet boards, pine wood derby blocks. when all else fails i suppose you could burn them up into stickers.
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

hamish

There is a very large market for Basswood in high end custom moldings/trim.   
Norwood ML26, Jonsered 2152, Husqvarna 353, 346,555,372,576

etroup10

Thanks for the replies! When we timber our property I should have about 3,000 bdft of basswood to play with. What is the best way to cut for carving stock? maybe as big of a cant as possible, store it then resaw it to whatever a customer specifies? Also, are the markets for carving stock and fur boards pretty strong? I know there is a far amount of trappers in my area but not sure about carvers.
NHLA 187th class, lumber inspector. EZ Boardwalk 40 with homemade hydraulics; Gafner Hydraloader; custom built edger, Massey Ferguson 50E, American Sawmill 20" Pony Planer; Husqvarna 55 Rancher

DaleK

Depending how many Amish you might have locally they usually like whatever basswood you don't mill for firewood to use for summer cooking.
Hud-Son Oscar 330
Wallenstein FX110
Echo chainsaws and a whole bunch of tractors

mesquite buckeye

Any pieces that have pith running through it will split. I would recommend either boxing it out or putting it between two pieces or 4 pieces, depending upon the log size.

They also use basswood to manufacture shutters. ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

red oaks lumber

you sure about that buckeye? the splitting part.
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

WoodenHead

A few of the old timers around here say that basswood was often used in place of pine for covering old barns.

mesquite buckeye

We cut a bunch for carving wood, up to 8 X 10" by 8' pieces. pretty much every one that had the pith in it cracked. Less if it was near one edge. This was some pretty big, old stuff from S Minnesota, about 3000bf.

Larry

The model airplane guys use basswood.  The pros will use different cuts for different parts of the plane.  We would call it plane, rift, and quarter sawn.  They call it something else.  If one of these model guys is trying to set a world speed record they will weigh the wood and test it for strength.  Think $20/bf if you have the equipment to slice it.

Carvers will specify the size they want.  I think the most I shipped at one time was 10 pallets like these.

I had a decoy carver that wanted a certain big size of block and was willing to pay well for that size...he couldn't find it in the usual places.

Takes time to develop a market and quality is foremost.  Run a add on craigslist and you might sell a piece or two....a year.

I'm out of the basswood market since moving to Arkansas.  Plenty of basswood here, just not the good stuff.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

mesquite buckeye

Super nice stuff, Larry. ;D 8) 8) 8)

etroup10

Larry, we've got some nice, tall, straight stuff up here in PA. I would bet a couple of them on our property have 4-16' logs in them.  :) just have to find a market I guess. Anyone ever sell any on ebay? I see it go for carving and electric guitar body blanks. Pretty good price and shipping is usually paid by the buyer. Bad thing is you have a lot of competition. But I guess there is a good chance to make connections to future customers.

Larry

Selling on eBay is how I got started.  I would sell 1-20 carving blocks.  Never made much money and it was a lot of work.  After about a year one of those buyers asked if I could ship him 2,000 blocks.  Within a month he placed another, bigger order.  He also gave my name to another carver.  Just a lucky break.

I also tried the guitar thing but never made it there.  If you had a cnc guy for the inletting...
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

etroup10

Yeah, I was looking at the sold listings on ebay for guitar bodies. Only 23 have been sold since June, but they ranged in prices anywhere from $15-$30 + probably $20 in shipping. I just checked out sold listings for carving blocks. Roughly 25 listings sold so far this month. Definitely seems like there is more of a market in the carving blocks.

Ron Wenrich

I cut some for a wood carver who was making duck and goose decoys.  He used 4x6 and 6x8 as well as 2" stock.  His big deal was it couldn't have any pith. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Clark

If you've got any local carving clubs you could ask them if you could show up with some product at their next meeting. Most people would rather buy something like that local and not pay shipping on it.  A limited, local market would, I think, be easy to develop but also probably easy to saturate.  But once you are in with one club other clubs would likely hear about you.

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Basswood is a bit too soft for stickers.  If originally 3/4", they will lose 1/8" after one or two uses due to compression of the wood.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

The most important use for basswood is for Ra[ala lures.

Basswood is also used for blinds, but the key is proper drying and stress relief.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

GAB

I was told by a forester 30+/- years ago that basswood was good for building bee hives as the basswood did not impart a taste to the honey.  I can't vouch for it.
I sawed a basswood tree a few years ago into the largest pieces I could handle.  The piece lenghts were determined by the location of the branches.  After roughly a year of air drying I put it back on the saw and resquared the pieces.
Out of the blue in the past 2 weeks I've gotten two calls for basswood.  One fellow was seeking 5" x 8" x ? pieces to carve out large birds.  I did not have any 5" x 8" stock on hand.  Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

etroup10

Gene, if you were to use basswood as stickers could you cut them a little thicker to compensate for compression? Or would they compress at different rates, which could possibly lead to one side of the stack being significantly lower than the other and not having straight boards?

Keystone31

I have a few Basswood trees that I have girdled, just waiting to have space on the ground before I fall them. My original intention was just cutting them into various block sizes to sell on eBay for carving. I see them going in packs of five 2x2x6" and various other sizes. Sell what's common on there, or come up with your own dimensions; someone may want something of that specific size. Here's an site that sells it for carving. $10.50/bf seems like a great deal - if you're on the selling end.

(forgive me if posting this link is a no-no)
http://www.treelineusa.com/materials/basswood
Kubota LM3800, '64 Workmaster 601, Norwood LM2000, Stihl MS270.

Thank You Sponsors!