iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Metal, Metal, who's got the metal

Started by Qweaver, September 10, 2013, 08:26:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Qweaver

Now where did these come from?  I sawed three really nice poplars yesterday and found a few really big nails in each one.  These were 1/4" x 6" nails... two in each butt log.  The trees were cut within 50' of the old home place and Dad must have put them there but I can't figure out why.  No real damage to the blades...just a re-sharp... so that's lucky.  Isn't the zing of metal a real downer!
We made some good B&B lumber for closing in another shed tho'. 

We made an offer on a 63 acre farm and it was accepted...so I guess there are more sheds in my future.
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

petefrom bearswamp

Zing then ouch.
Congrats on the new land.
Pete
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

thecfarm

53 acre farm? Is it a working farm? Buildings? Close to you? Trees for the sawmill?  ;D Good for you.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Qweaver

The "farm" is just 63 acres of land that was strip mined and that left almost 1/2 of the land flat...which is rare in WV.  It was also timbered a few years ago, so not much large timber left.  The owner built a nice 2 story building with garage space downstairs and a finished open room living area up-stairs.  Perfect as a hunting cabin.  I will have to run power and a water catchment system.  Also need a septic system.  All things that I can easily do at low cost.  We may consider a well but I'm comfortable with catchment.
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

ET

Qweaver, my mom was born in the mountains 10 miles east of Buckhannon. We still have 125 ac of wilderness that my grt grt grt grandfather homestedded from Ireland in the 1800's. how far are you from Buckhannon?  I go through Weston on my way to hunting each November, love to stop by and chat.
Ernie
Lucas 1030, Slabber attachment, Husky 550XP, Ford 555B hoe, Blaze King Ultra, Vermeer chipper, 70 acres with 40 acres Woods.

Weekend_Sawyer

I was re sawing some Douglas Fir 12x 12s down to 8x8's when I hit these 5 nails, looks like a face that is smirking! You can see where the blade took a dive right after I hit them.

Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Banjo picker

Nails are like Lays potato chips... nobody can drive just one.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

This was yesterday. One Water Oak, one SYP.

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

WDH

Pretty nice surgical job, Dr. Poston. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on September 10, 2013, 09:11:47 PM
Pretty nice surgical job, Dr. Poston.

I went to school 8 years to learn that procedure.  ban_smiley

Qweaver

Hey ET, the farm is about 6 miles north of Buckhannon.  Plan to stop by our Weston location when you are in the area.

kelLOGg

Quote from: Weekend_Sawyer on September 10, 2013, 09:49:12 AM
I was re sawing some Douglas Fir 12x 12s down to 8x8's when I hit these 5 nails, looks like a face that is smirking! You can see where the blade took a dive right after I hit them.

I had much rather hit a nail at a right angle - I can usually keep sawing. But a glancing blow - never. You showed the effect very nicely.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Banjo picker

Nail that thing on to a tree.  Hang a plant off of it. And let someone else hit it in 20 years.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

Poston did the same thing with a walnut today. He's running out of trees.  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

drobertson

there will always be metal, some you can see ahead of time, other times are a not so pleasant (surprise) ;D  david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

WDH

We will have to start calling him Metal Man. 

drobertson

IRON MAN ;D ;D ;D  HERE TO SAVE US ALL!
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on September 11, 2013, 10:05:06 PM
We will have to start calling him Metal Man.

You can call me BLADELESS.  :o

thecfarm

I can think of a better "LESS" than that.  :D

POSTON WIDEHEAD

julio

If you put your finger in your ear and scratch, it sounds like PacMan.

WDH

You have just been nicely insulted by thecfarm  :D.

ET

Qweaver, you bet we'll try to stop for a spell down in ur holler. We normally get down there sometime between the last week of Oct and the first week of Nov. we,re down there for maybe 3-5 days depending on success.   Ernie
Lucas 1030, Slabber attachment, Husky 550XP, Ford 555B hoe, Blaze King Ultra, Vermeer chipper, 70 acres with 40 acres Woods.

Thank You Sponsors!