iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Graphite blade guides

Started by EZ, May 09, 2004, 05:22:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EZ

Down at the shop, we use these graphite stools one time and then they throw them away. There 4 inch dia, 1 inch thick solid. I've been thinking about using them for a bottom blade guide but would like a little input with you guys. What do you all think.
EZ

Fla._Deadheader

We took off the bottom guides that we put on the Cooks. If the blade is kept clean, (wiper brush) the blade doesn't dive, unless it is dull or has hit something.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

EZ

Got a picture of your wiper brush. ;D
EZ

Fla._Deadheader

First, it is ridiculed;

EZ

Thanks for the picture, FD.
Do you run water threw the brush also and what type of bristles do you use.
Not that I'm having any problems sawing, I would just like to get a little more BF out of a blade when sawing the knotty stuff. ;D
EZ

Fla._Deadheader

We use straight water, a little or a lot, depending on the situation. The brush is Brass or Stainless. Harbor Freight, 3 for a buck, or so. Just be sure ALL the bristles make contact across the width of the blade, NOT including the gullet and teeth. Also, if you watch the blade, you can see the build-up start to occur, and do something immediately. I also run a steel edge on the blade while it is turning, BUT, it's NOT recommended. ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

D._Frederick

EZ,

The carbon disks would be too soft to use under your roller guides for blade support. The sawmill mfg's use carbite or ceramics under the rollers, Tom's blue mill has tool steel guides.

I made a guide set-up like Tom's mill and have it as the moveable quide,  it sure has made a difference in sawing when hitting a hard, dry knot.

Thank You Sponsors!