iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log pile Rattlesnake

Started by SAnVA, September 09, 2013, 11:11:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SAnVA

Was cleaning up ( tractor & scraper blade ) around my hunting cabin Saturday and as I was passing by a pile of pine logs which I never got around to sawing I spotted a rattlesnake sunning on top of the log pile. I had a .22 pistol in my truck and after 4-5 quick shots I finally managed to kill it, raked it off into the grass and noticed a baby coming out of a big hole in it's belly! I ended up killing 7 baby rattlers and they were 10 inches to a foot long and crawling and striking! Old log piles attract mice and mice attract snakes, should have sawed those logs a couple years ago when I cut them! Be careful out there!

drobertson

SanVa,, I will just say it like this,  two years ago, my best rat dog was hit by what the vet suspected as a pigmy rattler, in the log deck,  it was a brutal sight, but one that seemly was over a few months later,, we just lost Our Dixie this evening, and although she was close to 13 yrs, she was so vibrant, It was only after this bite that things began to turn against her in regards to her vibrancy and motivation.  Beware of the snakes for you, family and pets, it's no joke,    david   
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

m wood

SanVa, nice to at least find them all in one place at one time, no rattlers around my adopted home anymore.  David, you've had a rough couple of days man.  Good luck buddy.
mark
I am Mark
80 acre woodlot lots of hard and soft
modified nissan 4x4/welding rig
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
"her" wildthing limber saw
ALL the rustic furniture  woodworking stuff
check out FB

dboyt

Dave, sorry to hear about Dixie.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Magicman

Yup, in 13 years they become family.  Sorry for your loss.

I have found one rattler under logs.  Scary.

It was a pigmy rattler with 5 tiny rattles.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I will not take part in this post. I HATES snake!  running-doggy running-doggy running-doggy
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

terrifictimbersllc

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

goose63

No rattlers here but will go out of my way to kill any snake after nam I HATE SNAKES :snowball:
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

MRowsh

The last two years I have killed over 10 snakes. They come and steel the eggs from my chicken coop. One time one of them had 7 eggs in it's body.  None of them was broken. But the 410 shots of the Judge did a job!  Love the Judge with number 8 shots for snakes.
LogMaster LM2 with Kubota V1305 Diesel conversion.
There is a price for everything in life!!!  No free lunches!
Retired US Army.

hackberry jake

Might be careful about who you tell. Rattlers are protected animals in a lot of areas. Of course im sure with all of you guys it was in self defence. Also if you have a livestock issue its a different deal. And if I see a poisonous snake around where my loved ones might be, its a gonner.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

celliott

Man, this is why I'm glad I live up north where it snows and freezes. We don't got poisonous snakes or spiders or pretty much anything natural besides the weather that wants to kill you, and tornadoes are very rare here. Around me, flash floods are probably the most dangerous, we're all used to big snow and ice storms.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

pineywoods

MRoush, put a golf ball in each nest. Snake will die from extreme belly ache  ;D
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: pineywoods on September 10, 2013, 06:53:35 PM
MRoush, put a golf ball in each nest. Snake will die from extreme belly ache  ;D

I play golf. That ain't funny!  But it is a good recommendation.  smiley_sick
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Al_Smith

Actually I like big snakes .They make wonderfull belts and western style boots .

I have nothing against constictors like black snakes.If there were any rattlers around here and I saw one it would be one of those belts and that's the way that would go .

SAnVA

Thanks for all the replies, wish I had my camera with me, she was an average size Timber Rattler, black phase, 36-40 inches and pretty big around till I got all the little ones out! I usually run across 1 or 2 a year and a Copperhead or two. So far this year just one of each, don't like either one but would rather have the rattlers than a stinking old Copperhead! When I was younger I used to kill a lot of each but don't spend as much time in snaky places anymore!

bandmiller2

Thankfully poisonous snakes are rare up here.Biggest we have is a black racer I've seen them 5 and 6' long and their adept at climbing trees.As kids we hunted them with BBguns when hit they would chase us. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

najumcju

Uggh, killed 9 copperheads in month and a half period this summer within 50 feet of front door.  All were yearlings with a couple of two year olds.  Hadn't seen but one in the last few years.  Had to start taking dogs out on leash for their evening walks.

Don't want to run across any mommas or poppas looking for their brood!

maple flats

I also hate snakes. For a long time I thought there were no rattlers near me, but then I saw a nest (?) of baby ones (2 rattles) a few years ago, only about 3 miles from my place. Luckily I didn't see the momma. This year we had loads of snakes (no rattlers) in the garden, paid a girl ( who liked catching snakes) to catch and re-locate them. They seemed to be grass snakes and a few were Northern water snakes,( not poisonous but their bite is real nasty).
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

cutterboy

My father told me a story that happened when he was about 10 years old. (1932)  He and his brother killed a large snake but they didn't know what kind it was. They sent it to the science dept. of a local collage for identification. A few days later they got a note in the mail saying the snake was a milk snake and it was completely harmless. Well, to an adult that note meant the snake wasn't poisonous, but to a kid it meant the snake wouldn't hurt you. Sometime later my dad saw another big milk snake, caught it, picked it up and was shocked when the snake gave him a nasty bite on the hand.           Cutter
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

oklalogdog

You know it's strange but where I live there are no rattle snakes - only copperheads.  Go 50 miles North of me and they have a rattle snake roundup every year.  70 miles west and there are more rattlers than you can shake a stick at.  South 50 miles down around Witchita mountains and it's seething with rattlers.  But, none here - zero...go figure.

I personally think it has to do with the kind of rock around here.  In all the rattler areas mentioned above there is granite rock in the hills and mounds.  Where I live we have red rock or sand rock but no granite rock.  Just something I have always thought.
Amateurs built the Ark - Professionals built the Titanic

TK 2000, TK 1220, Belsaw M14, John Deere 7610 with loader, Ford 9N.

bandmiller2

Cutter,when I was in the navy a bunkmate was from western Ma. and was hopping from stone to stone in a brook as a kid and a copperhead bit him on the ankle.He remembers grabbing the snake and climbing the embankment to the road and he passed out from the venom.He woke up in the hospital said a woman was driving by and took him and the snake to the hospital. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: bandmiller2 on September 15, 2013, 07:49:10 AM
... He woke up in the hospital said a woman was driving by and took him and the snake to the hospital. Frank C.

Frank,

Did he say if the hospital managed to save the snake?

(Sorry, can't help myself...)

Herb

cutterboy

I didn't know there were copperheads in Massachusetts.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

LaserZX

I hate to kill any wildlife but consider the what if    and what this lady endured

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/woman-snake-bite-treatment-costs-55-000-article-1.1424383

A snake gun looks like a good solution.

LeeB

Quote from: Al_Smith on September 10, 2013, 07:04:44 PM
Actually I like big snakes .They make wonderfull belts and western style boots .

I have nothing against constictors like black snakes.If there were any rattlers around here and I saw one it would be one of those belts and that's the way that would go .

Lindy killed two big black snakes a couple months back while I was gone. Pitched em in the trash. I was mighty upset she threw away a couple good pair of boot skins. That big would have made some nice ones and I would have been willing to pay for a custom pair. Need some new boots.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Thank You Sponsors!