iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

would you go to the ER?

Started by m wood, September 09, 2013, 06:38:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

m wood

had to work last Saturday cuz of Labor Day and we run a mandatory 5 day route.  Working with a skeleton crew, I had an industrial dump hopper come unlocked while on my tow motor, so I manually had to lock it back in place, something I've done 500 times.  oopsy, the hopper part had skipped a tooth back on its roller track leaving zero clearance for where I ALWAYS keep my right hand! 

this is 2 days later right out of the shower

Within 2 seconds I had the glove off, within 5 seconds I knew it wasn't broke and within 30 seconds I was certain there was no nerve damage.

Am I crazy for not having time for hospitals.  Mind you, I will go if I feel its necessary, but my version of "need", and others version seem to differ.  This might have taken stitches but in my opinion it was iffy on the stitching.  skin heals.  My boss finally came out of his sequestered office and said go, I said no (you'd have to know our relationship, actually pretty good), then he said will you at least go home?

"OHHH, heck yeah, I got 250 hrs of PT and 600 feet of flooring to lay in our new house before we move in at end of month". 

He just smiled and shook his head and got on my forklift for the last 3 hrs of the day
mark
I am Mark
80 acre woodlot lots of hard and soft
modified nissan 4x4/welding rig
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
"her" wildthing limber saw
ALL the rustic furniture  woodworking stuff
check out FB

POSTON WIDEHEAD

DanG Mark.....I feel for ya Buddy!
I have a friend that would just rub Silicone or Super Glue over it......but he's an Idiot!
Not trying to give you any ideas but yep.....ya might wanna see the Doc.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

beenthere

Just looks like a scratch. You are tough, so no problem. 

What outfit do you work for?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Compensation

Well I was going to say a lot of alcohol and super glue, but after reading Poston's post I think the doc might might make me sound smarter. Haha But the biggest problem would be infection. Some old timers say to just dunk it in diesel fuel.... yeah the doc sounds like a good idea. :D
D4D caterpillar, lt10 Woodmizer, 8x12 solar kiln, enough Stihl's to make my garages smell like their factory :) Ohh and built Ford tough baby!

Brad_S.

Too late now.
I cut my finger pretty badly on a planer knife. Slapped some paper towel and electrical tape on it and called it good. Later I decided maybe a pro should take a look at it. By then, stitches were out of the question, the window on sutures had closed. So they slapped some guaze and a wrap on it. Same thing I did but maybe a touch more sterile!
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

m wood

You shouda heard the wife when I got home David.  Shes with you, see the doc.  But I just got too much to do.  OK, so I'm on the forum right now, whats my excuse :D.  I'm multi tasking!  It needs some oxygen for a while as I type to yall.  At work today, I cut the thumb off my glove so the bandage would fit.  Jee wiz thumbs got a lot of blood flow!  It finally stopped soaking the surgical sponges this morning.  Yes, I have a first aid box at home that has it all, except for the portable defibrillator, probly gonna need one of those soon :).
Beenthere, I manage a recycle plant and supervise a workforce of developmentally disabled adults. Genesee County ARC.  Thankfully they weren't all there, or I would have to set the example and go.  I hate setting double standards (my pet peeve).  If it had happened to one of them the state would mandate I rush them to the ER, and of course I would have   
I am Mark
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
check out FB

m wood

Compensation, infection scares me BAAAD too. But I scrub and disinfect aggressively each day. DanG near hurts worse than the incident itself :o
I am Mark
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
check out FB

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: m wood on September 09, 2013, 07:28:56 PM
You shouda heard the wife when I got home David.  Shes with you, see the doc.  But I just got too much to do.  OK, so I'm on the forum right now, whats my excuse :D.  I'm multi tasking!  It needs some oxygen for a while as I type to yall.  At work today, I cut the thumb off my glove so the bandage would fit.  Jee wiz thumbs got a lot of blood flow!  It finally stopped soaking the surgical sponges this morning.  Yes, I have a first aid box at home that has it all, except for the portable defibrillator, probly gonna need one of those soon :).
Beenthere, I manage a recycle plant and supervise a workforce of developmentally disabled adults. Genesee County ARC.  Thankfully they weren't all there, or I would have to set the example and go.  I hate setting double standards (my pet peeve).  If it had happened to one of them the state would mandate I rush them to the ER, and of course I would have   

After reading this.....I see you don't use your thumb to type.  :D So you're gonna be OK.  :D

And oh...by the way.....BRAD_S....you made my skin crawl talking about the planer knife!!!!  electricuted-smiley

thecfarm

I saw the title and said,Now what did Magicman do this time??  :D  Yes,scrub that critter. Some guy at work did something and boy he told me didn't they scrub it. I forgot what it was,finger???? Said it hurt more afterwards. But they said it will hurt alot worse later if we don't get it clean now.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

red oaks lumber

if there is a bone sticking out or i cant stop the bleeding i'll seek medical, otherwise tape,glue, fish line, and a can of foul language are on the ready :D way to be strong!!!!
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: red oaks lumber on September 09, 2013, 08:15:41 PM
if there is a bone sticking out or i cant stop the bleeding i'll seek medical, otherwise tape,glue, fish line, and a can of foul language are on the ready :D way to be strong!!!!

You're killing me Steve!  :D :D :D :D :D

LeeB

You should have gone, but I wouldn't have either.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

isawlogs

gauze and duct tape it...  You'll be ok   :)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

clww

Keep it clean, keep it covered, Neosporin and hydrogen peroxide.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

dgdrls

Ewww  !!!   :D

you better keep it clean, get some liquid skin and close it up.

No really keep it clean!!!!

DGDrls

nk14zp

Belsaw 36/18 duplex mill.
Belsaw 802 edger.
http://belsawsawmills.freeforums.org/

drobertson

Sorry about your smash/cut.  that hurts,  but on the ER topic, spent 3 hrs here in town, two hours later went to the big city, possible appendicitis on Nathan, major pain for over 12 hours,  6:30 to 12:30 am waiting, all walks, colors, economics, the whole boot.  Got home at 5 this morning, 23 hours of awake, with visions of objects crossing the road on the way home, been awhile since we've pulled one of these, Nathan is fine for now, issues that will surely arise again,  main point, lots of hurting, struggling folks in big cities,  almost resembles what we see on the tube of third world countries,   brutal,   thank God for a smashed finger and another day!   A scoop of dirt on the head is nothing more than something to  shake off, stand on and gain ground with another step,   david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

m wood

David, how's Nathan right now? Have they ruled out appendix yet?  Its toughest when they cant say for sure, and even tougher when its your kid.  Nothin hurts worse than when you feel for your hurting children.  My oldest had appendix out when he was 8.  The fear in his face...

Prayers and well wishing you David
mark   
I am Mark
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
check out FB

Delawhere Jack

DANG! I HATE when that happens............. :(  Happy to say it's been a long time since it's happened to me..

Tough call on going to the ER or not. If it cut all the way through the skin, then absolutely see a doc.

ND rancher

I did my leg in last week and didn't even know it.Had to stand on a bench in the shop to reach a used belt hanging near the ceiling and lost my balance,grabbed the chain hoist to break the fall and it was the wrong chain and down I went just slower.I bang into my power hacksaw and grumbled about the road rash and resumed working on the combine about 4 hr. later I sat down to answer a call from my son and noticed a little blood on my pants(no tear or rip) so I dropped my drawers and found I had 3 in. gash about 3/8 deep.To swollen for stitches, so cleaned it and sterri striped it together then used some pacemaker tape as backup to make sure it stayed closed(thanks to my wife). It should heal ok if I stop bumping it!!!!
TimberKing B-20.  Have been bitten by the bug! Loving life !

beenthere

Quotepossible appendicitis on Nathan, major pain for over 12 hours

And Nathan is ?? 

Wish him well.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Left Coast Chris

Hydrogen Peroxide is your friend.
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

kderby

Nope on the ER.

I damaged my hand to a similar degree.  I have insurance and I figured if I went to the ER it would heal faster and leave less of a scar.  When it is bleeding it is hard to determine the damage done.  I thought I would be back up to full speed sooner if I just went to the doctor.  The drive to town, the ER wait the Doctor wait and the entire day was toast.  The bill was substantial ($800).  Insurance has a funny way of making you think you are in good shape, until the hospital bill comes to your mailbox >:(.  I do have less of a scar but it was not a good experience.

Now, I have more peroxide, gauze and superglue at home and at work.  If it is "just a flesh wound," ice is about as technical as I am going to get.  I have found that a disposable white cotton glove helps hold the bandage in place, lets things breath and keeps the wound and dressing cleaner.  Sometimes I use a nitrile/latex glove to protect the area as well.  Healing is a miracle!

Knock on Wood, that was years ago.  I hope It is a while before any of us need to make that choice.  Like the saying goes..."You cant be a mechanic if you don't have bruised knuckles."  We work with objects that crush and cut.  These injuries are reminders to be careful.     

KDerby

sandhills

I'm with the majority here (but I'm an idiot, and that would be my disclaimer) tape it up, glue it, what ever holds it together.  Last time I went to the ER it cost me $600 for 16 stitches, only reason I went was mom having a fit that I hadn't had a tetnus shot for who knows how long, I had the bleeding stopped the night before  ::).

Thank You Sponsors!