iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Squaring the flipper clamp

Started by Chuck White, September 09, 2013, 01:38:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck White

Does anyone familiar with the flipper style log clamp on the LT40's know if there is an adjustment that can be made to square it up.

It's not square with the tube that it rides on, when I'm clamped onto a log or cant, there is about an 1/8" inch gap at the top of the flipper!  I checked it with a carpenters square and come up with the 1/8" gap.

I've looked it over and cannot see an adjustment.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

drobertson

Is it a worn bushing?  I'm not sure of your year and model,  I've seen some newer ones that have slop in the clamp and a gap like you are describing,     david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

WH_Conley

If you flip the clamp up you will see 3 bolts under it. They push down on a steel plate that has some sort of composite material attached to it. Mine got worn on the back side. I took it out and turned it around and readjusted.
Bill

woodmills1

It has a plastic slider and a few adjustment set screws, though I never quite got it square back then
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

sawmillhand

Yeah I found mine out the hard way today :) I swear I read that Manuel 20 times lol and I about pulled my hair out. Today was the day to replace everything roller guides brake strap drive belt . Had to use my phone a friend option and call woodmizer with a couple questions, after getting everything set I went to saw some logs first log done great I had a little dive in one board didn't think nothing about it. Well flipped a big log on the mill and start cutting I notice the blade diving away from the roller I am like what in the world. Re set the rollers with the deflection and all and put new blade on cuts like a champ who know maybe I forgot to tighten something knowing me that's probably what happened but good luck.
1990 woodmizer LT40 Hyd  2004 Ford F350 Flatbed. Plenty of tractors.

Chuck White

Quote from: woodmills1 on September 09, 2013, 07:25:18 PM
It has a plastic slider and a few adjustment set screws, though I never quite got it square back then

I'll try the 3 allen screws and see what happens.  :-[

I changed the top plastic slide last winter and should have realized they were adjustment screw, not just something to hold the clamp in place.

I should have been able to figure that out myself, but it's easy to overlook the obvious!  ::)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

johnjbc

Chuck you might take a look at this thread. I had to replace the slide plates and both the large and small bushings on my mill to get it to stay square when clamping.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,3014.msg40300.html#msg40300
LT40HDG24, Case VAC, Kubota L48, Case 580B, Cat 977H, Bobcat 773

Chuck White

I replaced the large brass bushings that are on the sides of the clamp itself.

I just sprung the slide arm just a little and picked the old bushings off and set the new ones in place, only took 2-3 minutes.

I have a bad bushing in the part that flips up and holds the clamp upright!

Be ordering that soon.

It is obvious to me now that the 3 allen screws and not for adjusting the tilt of the clamp, only for adjusting the tension on the slide pads.

Thank You Sponsors!