iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

timber cruising

Started by keppoch, September 08, 2013, 11:19:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

keppoch

doing a point sample cruise on 100 acre block,what is the best formula for calculations,I am using a 3 BAF prism,and what would you suggest the sample size should be,(1 pt./acre) be OK
Thanks
Keppoch

Clark

You're going to have to give us more information.  Where are you located, is this timber fairly homogenous, is your BAF in metric, what's the purpose of the cruise, what magnitude of error are you comfortable with?

Around here, pulp country, 1.6 plots/acre with a 10 factor will get you adequate to very good results.

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

WDH

One question.  Why a 3 BAF prism?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Pullinchips

I think the 3 Factor prism is an error?  Maybe he meant 5?
Resident Forester
US Army Corps of Engineers: Savannah District

Clemson Forestry Grad 2004
MFR Clemson University 2006
Stihl MS 390

Clark

I was thinking it was one of them thar metric measurements. Except for the US Government, who would ever use a 5?

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

keppoch

I live in nova scotia,the prism is 3factor metric, I typed out all the stands and am putting in 1 pt.per acre,trying to find out cds/acre in each stand

Pullinchips

I work for the US govement and we dont even use a 5.
Resident Forester
US Army Corps of Engineers: Savannah District

Clemson Forestry Grad 2004
MFR Clemson University 2006
Stihl MS 390

Ryan D

2 BAF is the more common prism to use in NS. I've only ever used a 3 when sampling old growth.

Thank You Sponsors!