iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Forwarding-A good day?

Started by MUDDY, September 08, 2013, 07:15:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MUDDY

Just curious how much wood other operators try to get decked on the landing each day. Processed wood vs. hand cut. I know there are lots of variables( terrain, size of wood, number of sorts, length of skid, etc) but what do you guys average in a day?

barbender

10-15 loads, 5 cord loads on a Ponsse Buffalo. 99% 100" wood, if it was long wood you could get a lot more, I would think. I'm fairly new to the job yet, I've been at it for a year and a half. There are a few guys in the company that can bury me, 20-25 loads a day. I think my best day was 19 loads, a little short of the magic 100 cord mark. I think it's a mental barrier for me ::) BTW, welcome to the forum, Muddy.
Too many irons in the fire

PaYoungBuck

I hand cut with a cable skidder. If I'm by myself 1 load a day or a little over if I have help 2 loads min. Our loads are a tri axle truck 3500 ft average. 

Nemologger

By myself I try to get out a load a day, I just cut and skid and cut up no trucking. Hand cut, sometime a fairly long skid. The loads average 4300 or so doyle scale. In good timber I will get a load and a half.
Clean and Sober

CCC4

Like you said..."Lot's of variables". I would really like to give you an answer that is based on averages but it is nearly impossible. Also, are you talking hauled timber or decked out, daily cut or processed and skid or forwarded to the landing?

Jamie_C

A forwarder following a harvester/processor should average a load an hour as a minimum. That being said i have seen load times vary from just under 20 minutes a trip to over 2 hours ... all depends on distance traveled and how big the piles of wood are and how well they are sorted.

wannaergo

There are tons of variables in skid times, but I try to average at least 30-40 cords a day on average. I run a ponsse caribou, which is around a 4 cord load.  I've had some loads that take 20 minutes, and some loads that are upwards of an hour and a half, just depending on terrain, how long of a skid, how nice harvester piles are, etc.. A load an hour is a good goal to shoot for though.
2016 Ponsse ergo 8w
2014 Cat 564
Husky 385

CTL logger

I try to get 10 trips a day I'm not sure of the cords we chip our material we usually end up with 650 tons and 25000 bd ft of saw logs a week. I agree with everyone else length of skid has a lot to do with it, I always seem to get a large acre job with one landing 250 acres with one or even two landings sooner or later your going to be going a long ways.

Thank You Sponsors!