iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

It's not the size of a mill, well in this case, yeah it kinda is.

Started by SW_IOWA_SAWYER, September 08, 2013, 01:58:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SW_IOWA_SAWYER

Hello All

I don't post to often but really enjoy reading and looking at everyone's pictures. I currently have a Lumbermate 2000 mill, but am thinking of getting a new mill. I don't mill for a living and as I age I am finding the manual mill more work then I remember it being several years ago :D I enjoy cutting logs still and I was thinking about upgrading to a hydraulic mill. I was looking at TK1600 or maybe a Woodmizer as both have good solid designs. So I saw a TK1600 in use on a drive with my wife so I stopped and talked to the owner, The trouble I see with it is the thing is huge!!! it will cut a 20' log which I never have cut or would cut. I checked the woodmizer site and theirs will cut a 21' log. That is really great if that is a feature you need but my saw is housed in my barn and the barn is only 30' wide so that is a problem for me. So after all this my question is, what mill is out there that has the hydraulics that I really want but a smaller footprint that I need. I never cut logs longer that 10' most 8' or under. I just am not sure what is out there that will foot that bill. So I thought I would ask all of you since you folks have the knowledge of what is out there that I lack. Thanks George
I owe I owe so its off to work I go....

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I have the WM LT 40 with hydraulics. I HAVE sawn a 21 foot beam and I have sawn a slab 26 7/8" wide.
I am HAPPY, HAPPY, HAPPY!
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Red Good

If you do decide to buy another mill and sell yours , let me know , I am interested in at least talking about it . No interest in milling commercially just for myself so a manual mill will work for me . Thanks Red   
Stihl 211C saw
Massey 135 deisel tractor with a front loader
Can Am 800 max quad
2001 Chev S10 pick me up
Home made log arch

ladylake

A older B16 TK would have all the hyd but only cut a 16' log plus it's a little narrower than some .. Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Dave Shepard

The LT30 Wood Mizer cuts 16' and a bit with full hydraulics.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

drobertson

only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Larry

You have a hacksaw don't cha? :D :D

I chopped the tongue off my TK-2000 and now it measures 26' 10" with the console swung to the side.  I looked and it wouldn't be hard to shorten it up some more so long as one didn't get carried away. :D

I suppose we could modify your barn with one of those Wild Thing chainsaws. ;D
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

SW_IOWA_SAWYER

I will check into the suggestions on the older mills. I was hoping to find one that was 16' long or less and have log loading hydraulics. I do have a hacksaw and a sawzall but I am not sure I would start hacking into a brand new sawmill except when I forgot to lower the log dogs. I have already done that on my lumbermate so I am a expert on that. The barn idea I like but I am limited as the barns sits on dirt pad that is raised so I am at the limit size wise without out some major dirt work. I have two friends with big woodmizers and they do love them too but in my application size is a major factor. If I upgrade I will keep you in mind I love my Lumbermate it is a great mill and has worked flawlessly. I just thought the hydraulics would be a major improvement course anytime you can justify the purchase of a new mill all the better
I owe I owe so its off to work I go....

Nomad

The stock LM2000 was only good for about 13'.  I don't know what length the newer ones with available hydraulics are made to cut stock, but you might want to ask.  Norwood makes a fine mill.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Ga Mtn Man

"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

bandmiller2

I would be inclined to put a small addition at one end of the barn, being able to cut long is desirable. My homebuilt will cut to 16' with a tail wind and I'd like more.I agree with the hydraulics, repair parts for old sawyers are hard to find. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

barbender

WM might still build you a new LT30 hydraulic, even though they don't show them in their catalog anymore. It's the same mill as an LT40HD, just 5' shorter.
Too many irons in the fire

5quarter

The major builders (Cooks, WM, TK et al) I'll bet would gladly build you a shorter bed for your saw. I know for sure that Cooks would custom build whatever you need, perhaps the others will too. Check with several Cos. and see what they can do for you. Hydraulics will make you wonder how you ever managed to cut a board without them. you will certainly saw more lumber with much less work and of course the fun index jumps to the next level... ;) Sadly, I know all of this from running  mills other than my own.  smiley_crying  Violin_smiley
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Banjo picker

I doubt you will be able to get full hyd's  in a mill much under 16'.. It takes room to get the functions you want under the mill bed...Cooks made mine 4' longer ... to 24' . I don't think it would be a problem to get it all in 16'.  A little 16' full hyd. would be a good mill to be mobile with... Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Magicman

Except when you drive up to a job like I did this morning and there are two 18' logs.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

dboyt

I've played a little with the Norwood hydraulic mill.  Same size bed as their standard (12' 6" log), but can be extended.  Very smooth, and you can get just the hydraulics you need, so you don't need to pay for a log loader if you have a deck set up.  I'd love to have a hydraulic turner & clamps on mine.  You probably won't have a problem selling your old mill.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

schmism

what hydrulic features are you wanting?   just log loading?   chain roller?  hydraulic toe board?  hydraulic dogs?

if you currently only want 1 or 2 of those it was my understanding that they could be added to most any mill that didnt have them.  espeically the log loading. 
039 Stihl 010AV  NH TC33D FEL, with toys

Will_Johnson

Hi George:

Thanks so much for your kind words regarding the TK1600. We can indeed build it in a shorter configuration for you -- we can also build it with a removable tongue.

The only real drawback is that this would be a custom mill and so would not be eligible for our 30 Day No Question-Asked Money-Back Guarantee. Also even though we would be using a bit less steel it creates additional costs in other ways so there would not, unfortunately, be any appreciable price difference from the standard configuration.

In any case we'd be glad to help you with it if, as we would hope, you choose TimberKing!

Best,

Will (Chief Bottle Washer @ TimberKing)

dgdrls

Thank You Sponsors!