iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tire Chains

Started by ET, September 06, 2013, 06:51:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ET

The tread on my 4x4 tires is half gone and I dont want to purchase new rubber just yet. I head to upshur county and also wirt county in west va for deer season every year. Our camps at both locations are high in the mountains on logging roads and we have a better than 50% chance of getting heavy snow. Ive never purchased truck tire chains before and have seen alot of junk chains. I could use some help in selecting a good set that will last me a long time. Any suggestions?  Thanks

Ernie
Lucas 1030, Slabber attachment, Husky 550XP, Ford 555B hoe, Blaze King Ultra, Vermeer chipper, 70 acres with 40 acres Woods.

chevytaHOE5674

I've had good luck with chains from http://tirechain.com/TRUCK-SUV-CHAINS.HTM.

I have two sets of the alloy square chains that I keep in my work truck for if I get stuck out in the woods. Don't use them very often but when needed they work good.

On my plow truck I run the heavy duty chains and haven't had any trouble with them.

ST Ranch

I have 2 sets of heavy duty V-BAR truck chains. They run rough when on compact snow and ice, especially over top of pavement, but they have incredible traction.  I find 2 sets are often needed, espcially if pulling a trailer or to assist in downhill steering [again very important with 20000 lbs of traiiler behind me ]. Cost me 165 bucks a set, but well worth the money. {tried a set of cable chains once and they lasted about 10 miles and then fell apart.  Tom
LT40G28 with mods,  Komatsu D37E crawler,
873 Bobcat with CWS log grapple,

ET

Thanks fellas for the info; I also have a Boss plow setup on that truck, here in the upper Ohio flatlands Ive never been stuck, YET.  Theres rumors of an upcoming bad winter so i want to be ready with chains too. Thanks again.

Ernie
Lucas 1030, Slabber attachment, Husky 550XP, Ford 555B hoe, Blaze King Ultra, Vermeer chipper, 70 acres with 40 acres Woods.

isawlogs

Heavy Duty ice chains is the way to go, they are the ones with the ''V'' bar welded to the links of the crossers. I have two sets for my pick-up and I often put them on to plow. Having them on the front sure helps with steering  :)

Do you have the V-plow, that is my next plow, the V-plow is so nice to push snow with.
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

ET

No i did not get the V plow. Its been at least 5 years ago but believe the V is rated to be installed on a 3500 series. It weighs i think 500 lbs more and cost 1000 bucks more too. Im really happy with my standard blade on my 2500 truck. Wearing my burmuda shorts sucking down hot cocoa when its snowing a foot an hour, just love it. Best investment i ever made besides my mill!

chevytaHOE5674

I only run chains on the rear of my plow truck and don't have any trouble pushing lots of snow. Often times I don't run any chains on the plow truck so that I can "legally" drive down the roads to get to all corners of the farm...

Also be careful with chains up front as you can break parts in a hurry....

fuzzybear

I've pushed a lot of snow breaking trail in the bush, Most times with just the bumper. Never once have I had to chain the front tires.  I always run heavy duty chains and have never been stuck.  I would recommend getting a pair of chain pliers and some extra cross links. It only takes about 3 min to replace a broken link. 
  The key to running chains is to keep them tight. When I set chains I run the tires down to 10PSI fit the chains as tight as I can then bring the pressure back up to 20ish. They stay tight and will only come off if you hit something hard.  Most times when I have to run chains here it's for over 50 miles at a time, so I try not to have things come off.  The bush truck has had the same set on for over 5 years and I've never had to re-adjust them.
FB
I never met a tree I didn't like!!

ET

When Im in the WVa mountains i have a 3000 lb truck camper in the bed and rounding some of those hairpin turns on those logging roads im wondering if front chains would keep steering from breaking loose. Its pretty scary when it does. 

Woodhauler

Quote from: ET on September 07, 2013, 02:41:03 PM
When Im in the WVa mountains i have a 3000 lb truck camper in the bed and rounding some of those hairpin turns on those logging roads im wondering if front chains would keep steering from breaking loose. Its pretty scary when it does.
What part of wirt county are you hunting? I worked down there in 1998! Lived in Elizebeth, cut wood in burning springs!
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

Al_Smith

It's been years since I ran chains on my pick up truck but every year I chain up the Ferguson tractor I plow my driveway with .A farm type tractor especially a little one is nearly worthless in deep snow without them .

Aha ,now a better plan .I inherited the very last Jeep my father owned so this year it's  plow snow with a heater and a radio .It's got chains for all 4 wheels and lights so I can see what I'm doing .;D

isawlogs

I have put and used chains to plow driveways many a time, I don't put chains on for deep snow... you put chains on for the ice under the snow.
Yes a set of chains on front will help you stay on the road, they are not made for racing, but they will keep you on the road if it gets icey out there.   :snowball:
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

ET

I hunt a 7000 ac lease from westvaco outside of mineral wells. We go into Elizabeth to sight our gun at a nice county range. Nice little community. My family is from Buckhannon in Upshur cty.

Al_Smith

The winters of 77 and 78 were brutal in Ohio as well as most of the lake states .I had a 72 Ford F-250 TWD with a 390 .I kept it loaded with firewood and know I ran chains for over a month .You're limited to maybe 25 MPH if that fast .

The 4 wheel drive crowd could not believe how much snow I could go through that they could not .So as far as I'm concerned nothing beats a set of tire chains unless it's a bulldozer track for traction .

isawlogs

Al, I can relate to that very much. Had a 2wd Dodge that fallowed my brother with his chevy 4X4, I only put chains on to even the score..... well having full lock on the back helped and being young and lead footed helped some too.  ::) Those ice chains in a mud hole sure crabed like the dickens.  ;D

Marcel

Magicman

You never actually said what truck/brand/model that you have.  I would read the truck owner's manual and see what it says about chains.  There can be surprises concerning their recommendations.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

isawlogs

I don't think any manifacturer has any recommendation about chains, its one of those things that if you need then you use them.  :-\ 
I know on my F250SD, you need to tie the brake lines back on the front axle.....   :-X  :P

Marcel

Al_Smith

I used to carry a coffee can full of cross chains and two pairs of 440 Channel lock pliers when I had the chains on the truck .You will break cross chains  if you run dry roads  for very long .

I helped out a little bit as a teenager getting logs out of the woods .They took those old ton and half grain trucks and hung a PTO winch with a pipe A-frame lift They would chain up those duals with lengths of log chain and ran them year round .Get a big log hung and come out of the woods with the front end bouncing a foot in the air through mud  a foot deep .They didn't get stuck very often .Beat those old trucks to a pulp .OSHA would have a fit now of days . :D

North River Energy

For plowing the camp roads, OFA and Trygg with ice studs front and back. A bit more aggressive than V-bars, and you wouldn't want to drive far on pavement. 

Not to say you can't, but you might rattle the headliner out of the truck.

Prefer the OFA, but they are harder to find.   Wallingfords (TCR) makes a similar product.

ET

Thanks to everyone who gave tips regarding usage, styles, and brands. Ive now got enough information that i can at least look around and feel somewhat confident on purchasing a set.

Magicman, i have a 2006 2500 Dodge RAM (HEMI Big Horn). Pulled a whole bunch of big logs with it on job sites too. I will look in the manual, thanks.

Ernie

Magicman

Quote from: isawlogs on September 07, 2013, 10:44:42 PM
I don't think any manifacturer has any recommendation about chains, its one of those things that if you need then you use them.  :-\ 
I know on my F250SD, you need to tie the brake lines back on the front axle.....   :-X  :P

Oh yes, my F250 specifies class "S" chains, as did my Toyota Tundra.  The Tundra also disallowed any chains on the front.  Proper clearances are the reason.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

isawlogs

I had to go look up the class S , If I was to put those on my pick-up to plow with, they would be shred to peices before the day was done. I also have a F250 SD and there is no way those would last  :D The ice chains put on nice and tight have all the clearance needed, only the front brake flex needs be pull back a litle for comfort. If you don't move the flex the chains don't touch the line, I just feel better having them away a little.
Of course if a crosser breaks and you don't stop and remedy the issue yous lookin' for trouble, and it will find you.  ;)

Marcel

bandmiller2

The best tire chains I've ever used  were St Pierre roller chains, google it.You can replace cross links without tools and they last longer the wear is spread around the crosslink. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Thank You Sponsors!