iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Where to buy pine seedlings in East TX

Started by dablack, September 06, 2013, 03:07:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dablack

Ok guys.  We bought 30 acres near Rusk a couple of years ago.  We are finally living there.  We have lots of nice pines but I would like to put many more along the FM road and between me and the nearest neighbor.  I have zero idea how much seedlings cost or where to buy them.  I'm thinking loblolly pine.  How far apart should they be?  How far from the larger mature pines? 

thanks
Austin
Building my own house in East TX

Texas Ranger

Texas Forest Service sells seedlings in the fall, order now, go by and talk with one of their foresters as to how to plant, where, when, etc.  I think you can buy them by the 100, or 1ooo per package.

Looks like you should have natural seedlings.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

ely

I planted a stand of them years ago, 2 steps between trees and 3 steps between rows.... over 12 years with no thinning and there is little room for much else. I was intent on cutting every other tree for a post but I failed miserably. only lost about six trees over the years.
my idea is plant them thick and thin to your personal liking, imo the thicker plantings do better if you get the occaisional ice storm.

Texas Ranger

Steps, or paces?  2 steps is about 5 feet or so, 3 steps 7.5 or so, mite close.

ely

paces, and when you short like me, yes they are a mite close.

Texas Ranger

I would go minimum 8x10. 10 foot between rows for access later.  My 2x3 paces would be 10x15, under right circumstances, would plant that spacing.

curdog

In cutovers I plant 8x10 and if it's too steep to get thinned I'll go 10x10 .in open fields I plant 8x12. But I'd get some recommendations from the Texas Forest service or a consultant that could give you a better idea for your area.;

Thank You Sponsors!