iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Dogging spikes

Started by davefrommd, May 08, 2004, 07:19:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

davefrommd

Where can I get dogging spikes for my discontinued mcculloch pm1000/Partner P100. It looks set up to hold two spikes. Has anyone ever made them before. Dave

Preston

hey dave
Check with www.madsens1.com  they are very helpful when it comes to after market and brand name parts! Just e-mail Dan and he will help you! I love working with those guys they are professionals when it comes to any kind of saw!
Preston

davefrommd

I'll go check them out. Could I also get my bar and chain from them. I was looking to buy a 36" bar for this saw. Thanks for your help.   Dave

Preston

Yes I do believe they can help you there and they sell some of the cheapest oregon chain I know of! There good ole guys to work with I been doing business with them for nine years and my father been doing business withem for almost 30!
Preston

woodsie

hey, i have made them before.  ya made a small set for my pals 42special and a set for my old as dirt mcculloch.  made them out of stainlesssteel and then heat treated them just like the real ones in a toaster oven for a whole day!
it's good to run once in a while, you never know when you'll need to for real...

davefrommd

How do you heat treat steel or stainless steel. I do have a nice piece of stainless steel set aside. Could I set it in the fireplace and heat it up. Dave

Stan

Every toaster oven I left on for more than a couple of hours, quit.  :-/
I may have been born on a turnip truck, but I didn't just fall off.

woodsie

not sure if this is how you respond to a respond to a post that i left a response too!  make the actual spike before you treat it.  do you know what kind of stainless it is? if you can get you hands on 304 that'd work best.  if you heat it in your fireplace, cook on top of cherry red coals un til it turns kinda of whitish. the key to a good heat treat is that you have decent quenching oil. if you have any machine shops in your town go and ask nicely for a large coffee can full of oil. oh yaeh make sure you dip the spike outside of you house the stuff is nasty. this job will probably take 4-6 beers!
it's good to run once in a while, you never know when you'll need to for real...

slowzuki

Heres a little tip, you can quench it in almost any oil!  Water works best but can cause cracks if the metal is thick.  The oil is to slow down the cooling rate so it doesn't crack.  If it goes too slow like air cooling it won't get the heat treat effects.
Ken

Quotenot sure if this is how you respond to a respond to a post that i left a response too!  make the actual spike before you treat it.  do you know what kind of stainless it is? if you can get you hands on 304 that'd work best.  if you heat it in your fireplace, cook on top of cherry red coals un til it turns kinda of whitish. the key to a good heat treat is that you have decent quenching oil. if you have any machine shops in your town go and ask nicely for a large coffee can full of oil. oh yaeh make sure you dip the spike outside of you house the stuff is nasty. this job will probably take 4-6 beers!

woodsie

water does not work, "best." this will make the material too brittle with very little elasticity.  this is not what you want for dogging spikes.  you need a liquid that will slowly cool the material down, but it has to be faster than air?  oh yeah like quenching oil!

davefrommd

Well, I sure received lots of good information. After using dogging spikes if that's the correct term for them, I really like having them on my chainsaws. I don't know what kind of stainless steel I have. Thanks everyone for your help.  Dave

incognitive

Only since you now brought it up specifically:

either "bumper", "bumper spike", or "bucking spike" would be preferable to "dawg", "dog", or "dogging spike".

Thank You Sponsors!