iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My Favorite Size Job

Started by Magicman, September 04, 2013, 10:59:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

I'll admit it.  I really like a 10-20 log job that I can move in and saw it in one or two days and then move on to the next.  I realize that you make more $$$ the longer that you stay in one location, but there is just something about new jobs, new challenges, and different customers.

I'll finish this 10 log SYP job tomorrow and then move on to another about the same size.

I am sawing mostly 1X12's, but these 1X22's with one live edge were eye popping pretty.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

giant splinter

That is a whack of awfully nice Pine Magicman that grain jumps out at you, how long had the logs been there ? I don't see any blue stain there.
I think your right the smaller jobs are nice and you get a break from grinding out a mountain of logs.
Nice work Majicman and great looking material for siding and other projects.
roll with it

5quarter

Try going to home depot and asking for one of those and watch the clerks head explode... ;) ;D
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

schakey

Quote from: 5quarter on September 05, 2013, 12:35:47 AM
Try going to home depot and asking for one of those and watch the clerks head explode... ;) ;D

The clerk would have to ask the department manager,who will call store manager,who will call district manger..........
Think-Dream-Plan-Do

Magicman

Quote from: giant splinter on September 04, 2013, 11:36:51 PMhow long had the logs been there ? I don't see any blue stain there. 
These two trees were in jeopardy of falling on the power line and a line clearance crew removed them several months ago so all of the bark has loosened.  No blue stain on any of them.

They are unusually pitchy making the heartwood really pop.  The widest "one side live edge" were 26" sawed 2" thick for a table top.

I talked with next week's customer last night.  He is skidding and will be ready Monday.  I think about a dozen logs.   smiley_thumbsup 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Chuck White

I like those type of jobs too Lynn.

Always seem to have more enthusiasm on the small to medium jobs!

A few years back, I had one job that had between 150 & 200 logs avg. about 18 - 20 inch diameter!

I was there a while!  :o
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

drobertson

I agree too,  shorter runs are enjoyable, so long as the footage is there,   david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

sawmillhand

I like those kind of jobs also 20 logs would be nice. Those are very nice looking pine
1990 woodmizer LT40 Hyd  2004 Ford F350 Flatbed. Plenty of tractors.

dboyt

Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

drobertson

Wow, Dave,  did you say PITA?  I reckon this would qualify ;D   david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Finn1903

MM, I always enjoy your posts, you have a good business set up and the jobs always look fun.  I am sure you can post some not so good moments also, such as the new engine.  Glad to see you back to milling.
WM LT40HDD47, bunch of saws, tractor, backhoe, and a loving wife.

Magicman

I finished that 1½ day job at noon today totaling 2552bf.  I guess not too bad production considering that it was all 1".  There were many 22", 24" & 26" one side live edge boards.

The unusual thing about this was the amount of pitch and the figure around the knots.

The trees had grown extremely fast during the first ~25 years with the growth rings ½" to ¾" apart.  Then the growth slowed down to finally 1/8".   These boards will make some awesome wall paneling.

woodNthings

MM, you never fail to impress me! I respect your business model and the service you provide. Safe to assume the constant change and challenge has fueled your wealth of knowledge and experience. The finished product always seems to turn out well.
I have several SYP logs similar to these that are staged ready to saw, though I've struggled to get good results. What blade do you use on pines like these? The hard sappy knots always seem to deflect my blade upward and put a bad wave in the boards, I've been using 10's(resharp by WM) and was thinking of trying 7's.
Curious as well how may blades you went through cutting that much 4/4?
'10 WM LT33 Hyd.
'80s Case rough terrain forklift
'54 Farmall Super A
'01 Duramax

Magicman

Thanks.  I use 10° blades and used 2½ blades on this job.  OK, ½ blade because with two logs left on the ground to saw, I had a slight "knot wave" and replaced the blade.  Since that blade only finished sawing one and sawed two more logs, it is good to go for a couple of hours Monday morning.

The Debarker is the life of the blades. Also any buildup on the blade is too much.  They have gotta stay clean.   I use WM Resharp program.

Magicman

This week is another favorite sized job again.  Eighteen logs up to 26" diameter and 18'.  SYP, ERC, and White Oak for siding, paneling, and framing lumber.

The 95° heat got the best of my customer by 2:30 this afternoon and we had to quit.  We will finish tomorrow.

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

dboyt

Nice to have them decked out like that.  How do you bring the ones farther back up to the mill?
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Magicman

The customer has a tractor with forks on the back.

Magicman

It was a hot 96° today but we finished.  2832 bf of framing lumber and siding.  I have finished my "catchup" jobs and should be back to the large job that I was on before the engine failure.

I know that he has much ERC, some Pine, & a few Oak logs.  I completed the Cypress before the engine failed.

red oaks lumber

not a very good job of piling and stickering!  you should try to educate your customers on the finer points of stickering.i am very very anal about caring for green lumber. :)
please dont say they are going to be moving the pile and redoing it?
side note: lynn i'm not pointing the blame your direction! :) unless you want it :D
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Magicman

Yes, the lumber will be moved (has already been moved) to a barn and restacked/stickered.  The 2832 bf job that I finished today will be hauled about 30 miles and restacked/stickered in the customer's barn.

It is very normal for me to saw where the logs are and the lumber rough stacked.  It is then moved from the woods to the customer's home, barn, or whatever and restacked. 

beenthere

Quote from: red oaks lumber on September 10, 2013, 08:58:02 PM
not a very good job of piling and stickering!  you should try to educate your customers on the finer points of stickering.i am very very anal about caring for green lumber. :)
please dont say they are going to be moving the pile and redoing it?
side note: lynn i'm not pointing the blame your direction! :) unless you want it :D

I'm a bit puzzled where and why-for this comment comes from.   ::) ::)

Whose piling job is being downgraded here?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

red oaks lumber

beenthere   
i'm going to say the picture that shows a stickered pile :(
why do people go thru thr extra work of stickering a pile just to relocate it.? why not pile it on a trailer and save some handling. but i am a little bit on the lazy side :)

jcbrotz

Quote from: red oaks lumber on September 10, 2013, 10:30:12 PM
why do people go thru thr extra work of stickering a pile just to relocate it.? why not pile it on a trailer and save some handling. but i am a little bit on the lazy side :)

Uhm magicman lives in the south and unfortunately for me just like here its in the 90 and humid, Smarter to do a quick sticker job than not to do one at all with pine, unless of coarse you like blue, green and black on your lumber.
2004 woodmizer lt40hd 33hp kubota, Cat 262B skidsteer and way to many tractors to list. www.Brotzmanswoodworks.com and www.Brotzmanscenturyfarm.com

red oaks lumber

i guess i look at things from a cost standpoint.the least amount of labor to produce lumber.
handling lumber mulitiple times is a big labor waster ;) or anything for that matter.

Magicman

ROL,  I agree with you in a perfect world, but on my last two jobs above, it was only me and the customer.  The customer has one trailer, neither of which would even come close to hauling the lumber sawed.  In both cases, it was all that the customer could do to keep the lumber pulled as I sawed.  On those jobs it was 2552 and 2832 bf of lumber in less than two days sawing. 

A question was asked in another thread last week about dead stacking Pine on a trailer.  Even a week of dead stacking Pine would/could cause mildew to start growing and bad things happening.  That same week with the lumber loosely stacked/stickered will allow the lumber to begin drying and without any ill effects. 

I do not charge for sawing stickers, so in both cases, the customer has plenty of stickers.  He can now spend the next week hauling the lumber to his barn and properly caring for it while I am off sawing for someone else.   :)

Kingcha

I have a spot with great airflow and a storm came in and blew down a tarp onto the end of my pine boards.  In less then 36 hours I had some mold and mildew. 

matt
a Wood-mizer LT15 10hp Electric, 45hp Kioti tractor, electric smoker, wood-fired brick oven & yes a custom built Solar Kiln

red oaks lumber

to see people double handle things just kills me :)what a waste of good energy! ;D

beenthere

ROL
Quoteto see people double handle things just kills me

Sorry for your untimely demise.  ::)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

red oaks lumber

Thank You Sponsors!