iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawed 2500 bdft and don't know what it was!

Started by Chuck White, September 03, 2013, 10:17:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck White

Not for sure anyway.

It's and ornamental tree, grows real tall, 80ft + in height and a very slender tree, largest butt log I sawed was around 22 inches.

It's soft with growth rings of 1/2 inch and sometimes more.

The limbs are high and grow vertical rather than outword.

Leaves resembling Poplar.

The owner thought they might be a type of Lombardy Poplar, but the pics I find on-line don't match.

The sawdust resembled fluff, rather than the normal type sawdust.

I just gave up searching!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

grweldon

Pictures would help the experts determine the species...
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

WDH

Could it have been cottonwood?  Did the leaves (a little less than the size of your hand) have coarse teeth and a straight flat base
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Chuck White

The owner did say that the trees were a cross with cottonwood!

The leaves were larger than Poplar, but pretty-much the same shape!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

chevytaHOE5674

pmcgover

Yes, pics would help.  You mentioned that the branches grew upward rather than out, suggesting a columnar or fastigate form like the Lombardy proposed in the above comment.  Another candidate could be the Populus alba cultivar, 'Pyramidalis' or simply "bolleana".  The leaves are the big difference as they have white leaf undersides - very distinctive in the wind.

JoshEvans

Could be Hybrid poplar they grow real fast slender and tall.
Groundsman for Snell Tree Experts LLC in N.C.

Thank You Sponsors!