iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hello from Maine

Started by PostandDream, August 31, 2013, 09:25:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PostandDream

Hello All,

Just registered, but have been lurking for a couple of years.   I found the site looking for a few quick answers about sawmills and soon learned I have dozens more questions I need answered and much learning to do!   For now I'll hold the questions and just say hello, and thanks for the info so far!

Jeff

Magicman

Hello Jeff and Welcome to the Forestry Forum.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

nk14zp

Belsaw 36/18 duplex mill.
Belsaw 802 edger.
http://belsawsawmills.freeforums.org/

dgdrls

P&D,

welcome aboard,  best darn place on the web!!

DGDrls

drobertson

Howdy PD,  start sawing and keep your notes!   david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

dgdrls

Should have asked earlier
band or circle tickle your fancy??

DGDrls

Skoalbandit78

Welcome Jeff, there is a huge wealth of knowledge on here. But I am one of those who is dirt poor in the knowledge department, but I am working hard to to learn though.

PostandDream

I'm going for a band saw.  Most likely a Wood Mizer as they have a dealer fairly local and a reputation I like.    My family is looking to build a new home on our land  and the possibility of doing some of the building is pretty good.   My wife want's lots of beams in the house.... and board and batten siding.   Along with a couple of out building, chicken coop, and some day a small barn,  I was thinking a sawmill (LT15?) may be a good investment.    But as with everything else in my life,  sometimes theory and practicality are not the same :)

drobertson

theory and practice could not be farther apart!   hope your search and choice work out,  david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

WmFritz

Hi Jeff. I agree... you won't be sorry about your investment and will find all the hard work satisfying.
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

scully

Welcome ! So ..you from the "County" or just one of them southerners?
I bleed orange  .

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Jeff !
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Andy White

Jeff
Welcome to the forum, You can get your questions answered here. The idea of your own sawmill is the next
logical step in your building process! The LT15 will do everything you would need for supplying your building materials. Have fun, and be careful .          Andy
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

bandmiller2

Welcome Jeff,what part of Maine are you from.?Do you have any log handling equipment.?We have a lot of members from Maine surely some close enough to help a little. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

thecfarm

PostandDream,welcome to the forum. If WM,Ross,is local to ya,you can't be too far from me. Check out the codes before building. Some towns and banks won't let you use lumber that is that grade-inspected.  ::) Must have land too? bandmiller is right about the support equipment.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Gasawyer

Welcome to the forum Jeff.
Woodmizer LT-40hdd super hyd.,Lucas 618,Lucas 823dsm,Alaskian chainsaw mill 6',many chainsaws large and small,NH L555 skidsteer, Int. TD-9,JD500 backhoe, and International grapple truck.

PostandDream

Quote from: scully on August 31, 2013, 11:30:58 PM
Welcome ! So ..you from the "County" or just one of them southerners?

We'll be building about 20 minutes west of Bangor on my wifes families land.    But I'm originally from the Western Mountain area. 

PostandDream

Quote from: bandmiller2 on September 01, 2013, 07:20:28 AM
Welcome Jeff,what part of Maine are you from.?Do you have any log handling equipment.?We have a lot of members from Maine surely some close enough to help a little. Frank C.

We have a 25 hp tractor, but no bucket on it.  Not really sure what we'll do yet for moving logs.

PostandDream

Quote from: thecfarm on September 01, 2013, 07:49:32 AM
PostandDream,welcome to the forum. If WM,Ross,is local to ya,you can't be too far from me. Check out the codes before building. Some towns and banks won't let you use lumber that is that grade-inspected.  ::) Must have land too? bandmiller is right about the support equipment.

I'm about and hour from Chesterville.   I went to the open house this summer .   And we camp in Weld every summer, so we drive pretty close to those Wood Mizers !   I made just swing in there some time and leave the camper and bring home a mill....    I'm not to worried about codes, but will check them.   I'm just looking for lumber for some decorative beams and outside sheathing.   Other than that I'd use the lumber for out buildings.

Magicman

Quote from: PostandDream on September 01, 2013, 03:31:26 PMWe have a 25 hp tractor, but no bucket on it.  Not really sure what we'll do yet for moving logs.
Your situation sounds like a perfect candidate for a LogRite Arch.  LogRite Arches

LogRite is one of the Forestry Forum Sponsors found listed on the left.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

slider

Welcome Jeff what took you so long.I started with a lift boom on a bigger tractor but a log arch would be nice on a smaller tractor.
al glenn

Bill Gaiche

Welcome aboard. Dreams do come true and you can make it happen. bg

customsawyer

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Dewey

Hey Jeff Good to see another Mainah on here  I have been sawing for 18 years I would be happy to talk "shop "with you. Also I have a set of forks you maybe able to use if your interested send me a P.M

GDinMaine

Welcome to the forum, Jeff.   I live 20 minutes East of Bangor, so we are very close. Sounds like a lot of fun and stories are in the future for your family.  I'm in the middle of a sawing job where a family is building and I'm sawing sheathing and flooring for their new home.  I think it's a great way to use the trees from ones' own land. 
It's the going that counts not the distance!

WM LT-40HD-D42

PostandDream

Thanks for the welcome all.  This forum must be the most positive on the internet!   Nothing but optimism and encouragement :)

I'll be posting some questions early next week, and already look forward to the insight here.

Peter Drouin

Wellcome to the FF
Ross and Maureen are good people
all I can say is new or use buy all the mill you can
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

PostandDream

Yeah,   I've read many times here about buy bigger than you think you'll need.   I was going towards an LT10,  but my wife and thinks I should go LT15.   And I'm sure all of you guys will agree with my wife!

Just waiting on finalizing the house plans and loans before I buy one,  so I don't bite off more than I can chew.

customsawyer

I don't think I have ever heard some one say "I should have bought a smaller mill with less HP" ;D.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

goose63

What part of western Montana? St Regis is where I started out in this life welcome to the forum goose
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Nomad

Quote from: PostandDream on September 08, 2013, 03:29:05 PM
Yeah,   I've read many times here about buy bigger than you think you'll need.   I was going towards an LT10,  but my wife and thinks I should go LT15.   And I'm sure all of you guys will agree with my wife!

Just waiting on finalizing the house plans and loans before I buy one,  so I don't bite off more than I can chew.

Sometimes it's better to take a little bit bigger bite than you think you want, rather then to walk away hungry.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

GDinMaine

I think it's a bad idea to discount your wife's suggestion especially if she wants you to get a larger machine. 
It's the going that counts not the distance!

WM LT-40HD-D42

Okrafarmer

Quote from: goose63 on September 08, 2013, 06:21:56 PM
What part of western Montana? St Regis is where I started out in this life welcome to the forum goose

When he said "Western Mountain area" I took him to mean the western mountains of Maine. But I could be wrong.

Welcome to the Forum, P+D! I used to live in central Maine. By "20 minutes west of Bangor" I'm guessing that's around Newport somewhere. I grew up in Clinton, old exit 37, new exit 138.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

mesquite buckeye

Welcome and good luck with the mill. ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

dboyt

P&D, welcome to the forum!  I built out post and beam home over 30 years ago with lumber milled from our property.  Lots of good sawmills out there.  Check the sponsors link to the left.  No doubt the time will come when you will wish you had a bigger mill.  Same with tractors.  I've been using a 22 hp 8N Ford with front end loader for years.  With a log arch and PTO winch, it does fine.  You find ways to get things done with limited power, though it takes more time.  It is also important to have provisions for stacking and storing the lumber until you are ready to use it.  Good luck, and let us know  how things progress.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

PostandDream

Quote from: Okrafarmer on September 08, 2013, 09:51:26 PM

When he said "Western Mountain area" I took him to mean the western mountains of Maine. But I could be wrong.

Welcome to the Forum, P+D! I used to live in central Maine. By "20 minutes west of Bangor" I'm guessing that's around Newport somewhere. I grew up in Clinton, old exit 37, new exit 138.

Correct,  the western mountains of Maine!   And yes I'm VERY close to Newport,  right now I'm living off the Newport exit,  but the new house and land is off the Plymouth exit :)

nk14zp

Belsaw 802 edger.

mesquite buckeye

Or the 40 with the accuset and debarker. ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Woodhauler

Quote from: PostandDream on September 11, 2013, 05:02:57 PM

Correct,  the western mountains of Maine!   And yes I'm VERY close to Newport,  right now I'm living off the Newport exit,  but the new house and land is off the Plymouth exit :)
Ok were abouts off the plymouth exit? I am close to there!
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

thecfarm

I was just up there on route 2 heading for Smyrna  Mills last weekend. A 4 hour ride. A very nice drive.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Mooseherder

Welcome to the Forestry Forum. :)
There was a detour off I-95 northbound about a month ago that dumped us into Route 2.  I sure was happy that happened.  It was a beautiful ride.  Did you see the guy who had the 20 or so refurbished Plow trucks along with the Skidder set up on the pedestal south of Houlton?

PostandDream

Quote from: Mooseherder on September 11, 2013, 07:58:07 PM
Welcome to the Forestry Forum. :)
There was a detour off I-95 northbound about a month ago that dumped us into Route 2.  I sure was happy that happened.  It was a beautiful ride.  Did you see the guy who had the 20 or so refurbished Plow trucks along with the Skidder set up on the pedestal south of Houlton?

No I didn't!   Sounds like quite a display.

PostandDream

Quote from: nk14zp on September 11, 2013, 06:30:19 PM
I'd get the lt28.

When I went to the open house I brought my father in law.   I walked right up to the 10 and 15 to show him what they looked like, and his first words were "Those are stupid!   You need one like that!"  And pointed to the lt28...  If only money weren't an option.

PostandDream

Quote from: Woodhauler on September 11, 2013, 07:11:04 PM
Quote from: PostandDream on September 11, 2013, 05:02:57 PM

Ok were abouts off the plymouth exit? I am close to there!

I'm west of the exit in Etna.    I never knew there was a Jackson, Maine!   And we looked at land in Dixmont, Troy, Plymouth, Detroit, and pretty much everywhere around you.

thecfarm

PostandDream,Was that at Chesterville open house this year? Seem like April? I forgot. I was there with 2 other FF members. We was busy looking too. Those LT10 and 15 will saw nice lumber. FF members have both.

PostandDream

Yes this year,  I've already forgotten the date as well!   I remember it was sunny and cool.   And lots of orange  ;D

nk14zp

The lt28 is on sale and not much more than the lt15go.
Belsaw 802 edger.

Thank You Sponsors!