iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Breakdowns cost more than Parts

Started by Magicman, August 31, 2013, 04:41:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

My recent breakdowns cost me a sawing job.  I have been calling customers and scheduling jobs as the names filter to the top of the list.  A call this morning confirmed that a customer had already gotten his logs sawed because when he called I told him that it could be a couple of weeks because I had an engine failure.  He assured me that I had not lost a customer, just a job.

I guess that I am greedy because I hate to loose anything.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

rasman57

After lurking here for some time and often reading your posts, you are not at all greedy.  You are very attentive to your customers and craft!  Should be more folks just like you out there in the world sir.   Good luck getting up and running soon.

drobertson

this sounds like a good thing to me, sounds like he was under a time constraint, that was out of your control. If he is good to his word then you will surely get him back,  and with a new engine!   david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Kingcha

a Wood-mizer LT15 10hp Electric, 45hp Kioti tractor, electric smoker, wood-fired brick oven & yes a custom built Solar Kiln

T Welsh

Magic, It happens to the best of us! Last job I was on,I lost all hydraulics due to a bad solenoid. I was able to finish the job,but it embarrassed me in front of the customer. I check the operation of the mill before leaving for the job so I do not have any problems on the job site and on the customers time. But break downs happen,and if you have my kind of luck it happens at the worst time and place >:(. I take pride in my work and like everything to go as planned. But we all know about (Murphy s Law) Tim

Magicman

When you combine the engine failure, Pig Roast, and then the hydraulic motor, this was my longest down time ever.

This customer's name/job was not at the top of the list and I explained my situation to him when he called.  I knew that he might have to get another sawyer, but I was hoping that he had not.  We are OK for future jobs.

I will admit to it......it is a pride thing.   ;)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WoodenHead

Quote from: Magicman on September 01, 2013, 02:35:08 PM
I will admit to it......it is a pride thing.   ;)

Loosing one job (and likely keeping the customer) is nothing to be ashamed about.   :)

logboy

Unfortunately it happens. I've had carb issues that shut me down for hours on a job. A nose sprocket that welded itself solid.  Etc. If you're working all the time stuff is going to break, period. The best we can do is stay on top of the maintenance and bring along a tool kit and spare parts.
I like Lucas Mills and big wood.  www.logboy.com

Thank You Sponsors!