iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

shortage of amunition

Started by tgalbraith, August 31, 2013, 11:05:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tgalbraith

:'(What is happening in this country? You can't find a box of .22 shells for love or money.
The normally fully stocked shelves at Walmart or the big sporting goods stores are empty.
I don't know if people think the end of the world is coming or what. I do know that a nice
bunch of squirrels would taste good this fall.  Let me know if this happening in the country
as a whole or if it's just around here.  >:( :( ::)
M Belsaw, 46" insert blade, Oliver 88 power  plant

beenthere

Happening here as well.
If anyone smells a shortage, then there is a buying frenzy. May be other reasons (some say the Gov't is involved as a roundabout way to control gun ownership/use), but I think it is from panic buying.

I have a good supply for my normal plinking/varmint use, but still will buy a block of 22's if I find them available.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Chuck White

Same thing going on here too.

At the gunshop where I usually would buy 22LR, they say "we just can't get any".

I do have enough for a good while for my common pest control.

edit: I've looked in places on-line and there are some entities that have bricks of 22LR for sale at $50.00 and up!   :snowball:
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

bama20a

Been like that for around a year now here,(Alabama). :(
It is better to ask forgiveness than permission

Magicman

It is an artificial shortage caused by panic buying.  I could happen with toothpaste if everyone rushed to the stores and bought a dozen tubes.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Kansas

Back in high school, there was a sugar shortage. Good friend of mine's mom did a fair amount of baking. She found a place to buy a bunch of it. There were packages of sugar everywhere in her house. Her reasoning was, I need to buy all I can before the hoarders get here. Saw the same thing with a coffee shortage.

ron barnes

I worked in NY during the spring.  I looked for 22 LR in NY, RI, MA and all the stores around home here in GA and SC.  They are getting more common in Walmart and Academy.  Everyone is just hoarding the ammo.  I am as bad as the next person when it comes to the guns and ammo.

Autocar

Its been here for over a year and not any better yet. I told my  friend in Canada a few months back what was going on here so he ran out and bought a bunch of reloading stuff plus ammo and now he tells me its the same way up there.
Bill

isawlogs

No shortage on this side of the boarder in Québec, all the stores a go too that sell amo are stocked up of a very good variaty and of quantities. And alot of it is made in the US...  Go figure.  :)

Wheres your friend at... 
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

thecfarm

I like to keep 22 shells on hand. They are cheap and as I say,the first one may not kill them,but it will slow them down enough so the next one will. A brick of 500 has more than doubled around here,IF you can find them.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

pigman

I suppose I caused the shortage. I bought a box of fifty 22LR twenty years ago. I still have about twenty five left.
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Banjo picker

No 22's to be had around here either....I have heard that when the truck runs that brings them to the Wal -Mart...folks are lined up and buy all they will let them have .....I am getting low...guess I will cut back on the 3 or 4 shot burst when I dispatch the possums and coons that frequent the front porch in the middle of the night...maybe I will cut down to just two...Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

beenthere

I haven't used any .22's for dispatching since I started using the "koolaid" offering to the coons.

But still will add a few rounds when and if I can find any.

Wonder how the folks lined up at Walmart learn about the truck delivering?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

terry f

No shortage at a gun show I went to a couple weeks ago, but price gouging is a different story. $60 and up for bricks, $15 for 50 stingers, I'll just wait a few more weeks. No shortage in Canada, friends went to Vancouver last week, and anything you want, most made in America, go figure.

Bibbyman

Son up near Minneapolis area says local hardware store sales at $5.00/box of 50.  Gunshop down the road had 22 for $20/brick.

I talked with the local gunshop owner earlier this week and he said people were bringing in ammo to sale.   He said sales of tactical guns had fell. I noticed the rack of guns at the local Walmart had about a dozen AR15 looking guns in their racks. About half of what they had on display.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

DR_Buck

This weekend I am Virgina's largest yardsale and gun show in Hillsville VA  (google Hillsville Va sale) .  10's of thousands of guns  for sale.  Almost no ammo and what can be found is off the charts.    Average price for a brick of 22lr is over $60.  I saw some at $80 per brick.

So far all I bought is a conceled carry holster.  I'm still dealing with sticker shock on guns and ammo.
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Banjo picker

Quote from: beenthere on August 31, 2013, 10:47:58 PM

Wonder how the folks lined up at Walmart learn about the truck delivering?

Small town.  People that work there tell a few buddies and the word is out..My oldest son told me it runs the same time each week...Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Leigh Family Farm

Ammo shortage is caused by federal law enforcement agencies buying in bulk. DHS bought a 4-year supply of ammo ($3 billion worth) this year. Federal/Speer has an ongoing contract that gives the feds the first crack at all the ammo they need, then its state/local agencies, then the public. Yes, I know, the feds don't shoot .22cal ammo but if the factory has to reduce production of .22cal to make more .40, 9mm, and .223 then there is a shortage of .22cal.

For a while, you couldn't find .223 rounds anywhere and all the magazines were sold out too.
There are no problems; only solutions we haven't found yet.

terry f

They must be going back to the 45-70, they haven't been available since this started. The gov isn't buying up all the ammo, but that's a story for another place.

Bibbyman

It's just not ammo that is in short supply.  Any components that go into reloading are just as hard to find.  No matter what you load you can't get primers,  powder or bullets.   Brass in any caliber is just as hard to get.  If you go to any major shooting sport distributer's web site and look for product in stock, you'll find the cupboard bare.  You can't tell me that there is that much demand for obscure calibers such as 25/20 Winchester that existing stock would run out.

I read on the website of a bullet casting company in Missouri that they were six weeks behind,  they had put on a second shift, was working six day, buying new equipment to meet demand.

It's hard to believe that the government buying up a the production capacity of a half a dozen cartridges could suck up all other calibers and especially cast lead bullets that would not be used in producing the government ammo.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Banjo picker

Primers is where I am stuck...I got the brass. I can cast my own bullets. I have enough power for a while , but no primers...   I was in Wally world today to get a couple of hinges , I was in need to finish a project. I though I will just ask about 22's ... There was a guy talking to the woman at the desk about buying a 22.  When they took a break , I ask if they had any 22 bullets.. no..... whats the use in buying a 22 if you cant buy bullets for it...you can't even reload them.... maybe that's the angle....  Banjo

isawlogs

Come for a visite and bring all you can take back with you.  :)

What about black powder guns, are you guys having issues with those primers also ???  Man that must suck big time.
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Banjo picker

Oh I plan on taking you up on that one Marcel..  I got plenty of black power primers... don't know if they are in short supply or not...Its large pistol primers I need.... Banjo

sawmilllawyer

Still hard to find 22LR here in OKC, OK. More AR-15's on the shelves at the Bass Pro and Academy stores. Walmart occassionally has ammo but the timing has to be right.
Stihl MS-361, MS-460 mag, Poulan 2150, 2375 Wildthing.

justallan1

I see it as the manufacturers taking full advantage of the internet and the whole gun control thing. I think with the whole idea that has been projected that the government is going to take our guns and discontinue letting some be made caused a rush to buy guns and the manufacturers saw it as a way to increase sales and fed the fire and the ammo manufacturers just followed suite.
I've seen on the news about people boycotting them both with all of the recent shootings in order to put a stop to it. I just wonder how much of that hype is started by these manufacturers themselves to build sales. I know for fact that I've seen things on the internet that they are outlawing high volume magazines, yet the actual add is a company selling these magazines. HMMMM!
So do you pay out the nose for what you can get today or do you wait for this fad to be over and HOPE the price will come back down a bit?
Just my thoughts on it.
Allan

Thank You Sponsors!