iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

shortage of amunition

Started by tgalbraith, August 31, 2013, 11:05:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raider Bill

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

DR Buck

Just went to the gun show in Northern VA last weekend specifically to get ammo.   There was lots of ammo to be had of all manufacturers and size.  Picked up 500 rounds each .223 and .45 acp like I planned.  The .223 was 24¢ a round and the 45 acp cost me 40¢.    I saw lots of .22 LR, but still $50 - $80 for a 500 round box.   No way will I pay that price.    I still have a few 500 round boxes from Walmart that have price stickers on them.   One is marked $9.95 and tone is marked $7.95.    ;D
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Bibbyman

Looks like the "tactical" market has finally flooded and ammo for same.   I get email messages from MidwayUSA nearly daily with big sales on black rifle assemblies and ammo, etc.  Was in a small gunshop and the guy had a pallet load of 223 on display.   Said he had it for a long time and now the prices have dropped to where he can't sale it.  Said Colt AR 15s that once sold for $1,800 can now be bought new for $500.

A week or so back I bought a case of 250 Federal target load 12 gauge for $64 including tax.  I plopped it down on the table and remarked to Mary that it was indeed odd I could buy this big box of of ammo for $64 and can't buy a brick of 22 when the basic components are the same.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Chuck White

Quote from: Bibbyman on September 29, 2014, 08:31:43 AM
Looks like the "tactical" market has finally flooded and ammo for same.   I get email messages from MidwayUSA nearly daily with big sales on black rifle assemblies and ammo, etc.  Was in a small gunshop and the guy had a pallet load of 223 on display.   Said he had it for a long time and now the prices have dropped to where he can't sale it.  Said Colt AR 15s that once sold for $1,800 can now be bought new for $500.

A week or so back I bought a case of 250 Federal target load 12 gauge for $64 including tax.  I plopped it down on the table and remarked to Mary that it was indeed odd I could buy this big box of of ammo for $64 and can't buy a brick of 22 when the basic components are the same.

Sure is, I can't remember what store I was in, but about a month ago I saw 50-round boxes of 22LR for $8.00+.

It's really wierd when the big stuff sells for less than the 22LR's.

Around the house for rodent control (Red Squirrels & Chipmunks), I reload 410 shells, better chance of hitting them and it's a lot cheaper!  ;)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

luvmexfood

I purchased ammo for 20+ years for a police dept. It became scarce and expensive twice. Once was when Bill Clinton was president. When George Bush was in office it came back down in price. Then when Obama went into office it skyrocketed.

Now I am not saying anything political. Just the hard facts. Believe it or not.

Eight years ago did you have any trouble getting ammo? Just a form of gun control. Can't regulate guns ok. What good is a gun without ammo?
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

goose63

Quote from: luvmexfood on September 29, 2014, 05:29:23 PM
I purchased ammo for 20+ years for a police dept. It became scarce and expensive twice. Once was when Bill Clinton was president. When George Bush was in office it came back down in price. Then when Obama went into office it skyrocketed.

Now I am not saying anything political. Just the hard facts. Believe it or not.

Eight years ago did you have any trouble getting ammo? Just a form of gun control. Can't regulate guns ok. What good is a gun without ammo?
That's what I like a bought black powder I have 1000s of caps 500 lbs of lead and if you are careful you can make the powder

my new 36 cal in soft pine 

did I mention I like black powder 6 shooters

one36 fore 44s one 45
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Skioutty

I recently bought a new Ruger 22 Takedown.
At one of the stores I went to look at them, the guy told me that he could sell me the rifle but he had no ammo in the store and no idea when he would.

Bibbyman

http://youtu.be/yNGw6hGN83U

It's just a short step from cap guns to cartridge using black powder.   Here I'm shooting a Cattleman in 45 Colt loaded with 2F Graf & Sons black powder. A full load with 255 grain bullet is pretty powerful - surpassing standard factory loads.   These I'm shooting in this video are loaded in a special case the same length as a 45 ACP and with 200g bullet so they are somewhat tamer.

The only drawback to black powder is cleaning the guns and cases after shooting.  Also, black powder is not going to work in automatic guns - especially gas operated.   But I'll bet an old 1911 would shoot a bunch without stopping. 
Sawing since '94

goose63

Yup bibbyman cleaning the gun is a pain. I do it in the sink dawn dish washing soap a good brush put in oven to dry a bit and lots oil when done.
but I do like shooting black powder the 6 in the picture are cap and ball but I can shoot b p in my 41mag and 45 long colt 
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Bibbyman

I hear talk that caps are hard to find.   As were primers a year ago.   I found the primers I like - Winchester - at a good price and bought 5,000 small and large pistol.    Powder and brass is still in short supply.

I wash my guns out with almost scalding hot water.  Easiest is double barrel as I can just pop the barrels off and run water through the tubes from a kittle with a spout.  By they time they've been brushed out and patched, they are too hot to hold in bare hands.  They dry quickly on their own. I finish up with a dab of Thompson Bore Butter on a paper towel patch.
Sawing since '94

Corley5

In hindsight I should have sold my AR collection a couple years ago and rebuilt it now  ;) ;D
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Thank You Sponsors!