iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Looking for Butternuts to start

Started by RPowers, August 30, 2013, 08:41:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RPowers

I'm hoping to populate my little woodlot with some new-to-it species that are missing but will grow here, with Butternut being one of them. I'm looking for someone who can get a few nuts to me this fall. Anyone? I'm also wanting Beech. Thanks.

RP
2013 Woodmizer LT28G25 (sold 2016)
2015 Woodmizer LT50HDD47

thecfarm

Swampdonkey is the man with them. I have one big tree and 2 small ones that are not bearing nuts. I really need to gather the nuts up too and plant some. I really need to do alot of other things too.  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

HiTech

What is your address? I may be able to help you out. I have some butternut and black walnut trees. If i can get the nuts before the squirrels do I could probably send you some.

HiTech

I may have lied to you. lol I seem to have all kinds of walnuts but the butternut trees I checked didn't produce nuts this year. I still have some more to check. I got your address so if I do come up with some I will send them off to you.

RPowers

2015 Woodmizer LT50HDD47

SwampDonkey

In my area the butternut curculio (a snout weevil), has hit the butternut real bad, killing the nut flowers and terminal shoots. Hardly had a nut for 3 years now.  ::)

But I have sunk quite  few in the ground over the years. They are easy to grow. Sink'm and forget it. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

RPowers

I have come to hate all versions of the curculio, Swamp. They ruin all my stone fruit here if I don't spray early and often. If you find any spare butternuts, keep me in mind. I'd love to have a few on our place.
2015 Woodmizer LT50HDD47

SwampDonkey

I have discovered in the last little bit that there are actually some butternut orchards, like some would grow black walnut in orchards. No one does this around here, but I think in Ontario or Quebec and maybe some in the US. Apparently there has been some work on butternut oil.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

GAB

RPowers:
I've picked approx. a bushel of them in the past 2 weeks.  If you still want some PM me your address with how many you desire and how you desire to receive them.  Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Thank You Sponsors!