iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

square peg

Started by r.man, August 29, 2013, 10:32:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

r.man

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukfD09Rh7KY

It's not a Chomper and it's not splitter either, a hybrid? I am thinking that for those of us who have owbs and access to reasonably sized wood that this machine would fit the bill as a processor. Could use some refinements, like any prototype but workable just the way it is.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

leonz

The chomper is much less work but,
I guess they have a  lot of surplus
steel and huge supply of birch to
work with.

r.man

I expect the large size is to accommodate the long cylinder. In the comments he says he built it out of stuff that he had on hand. Shearing thick steel is old tech so shearing wood should be straightforward. To me that machine would mostly need an increase in shear speed to be very usable, maybe from a two stage pump, and a conveyor to take away blocks because I work alone. Cut to length and split once, perfect for a owb.

DDDfarmer

He was interviewed on the prairie farm report.  Had lots of free dirty wood available and needed something to cut it up.  6" cylinder, hydraulic motor to run the feed apron and a valve bank hooked up to a tractor can't get much simpler.
Treefarmer C5C with cancar 20 (gearmatic 119) winch, Husky 562xp 576xp chainsaws

Ivan49

I made some brackets for a guys tractor and he came over today to pay me. He gave me the whole hyd system off a logging trailer they tore apart. There are 2 control valves that has 3 spools each and several 6 inch bore 14 in stroke cylinders and 2- 8 inch bore by 60 inch long stroke cylinders. Plus a trailer load of heavy  sg tube. Any ideas what I may make 8)

leonz

Quote from: Ivan49 on August 30, 2013, 05:56:45 PM
I made some brackets for a guys tractor and he came over today to pay me. He gave me the whole hyd system off a logging trailer they tore apart. There are 2 control valves that has 3 spools each and several 6 inch bore 14 in stroke cylinders and 2- 8 inch bore by 60 inch long stroke cylinders. Plus a trailer load of heavy  sg tube. Any ideas what I may make 8)

What ever it is I would strongly, very strongly take all the valves and cylinders to a hydraulic repair shop to have them tested and I would venture to say sure that they are all shot/worn out.

Hydraulic cylinders can be rebuilt for a certain number of times BUT the cylinder rods will wear out.

Control valves are an over the shoulder item and no amount of boring repairs the valve spools no matter what any one says as the castings are a one trip pony.

This is because the NEW and I mean NEW valve spools are hand fit by letting them drop by gravity into the NEW VALVE SPOOL CASTING after they have been smoothed by crocus cloth until the spool passes into the casting by gravity only. 

r.man

Personally I think having a shop go over a bunch of stuff takes all the fun out of free. I would give everything the once over visually and then use anything that is not obviously worn out and I mean worn out not worn. These are not aircraft or the space shuttle. If I had that stuff I think I would try a chomper type. The one in the video needs a bit of tweaking to split every time but overall it seemed to work well.

Al_Smith

:D Yeah it's not like building a 4 lane bridge over the Mississippi river .It's just a bunch of junk a guy cobbled together that processes wood .Crudely granted but it gets the job done .

Logging logginglogging

Yeah I would love to see that thing try and do some of the 3 foot diameter rock maple I cut lol.....It also looks dangerous slow, and messy...

Thank You Sponsors!