iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

chainsaw addiction

Started by barak, August 29, 2013, 03:00:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

barak

since I bought my first chainsaw only a year ago I got addicted to this machine.
I have upgraded it twice already (from an old Stihl MS 180 :-\ to a new Falcon 4580 :-[ to a new Stihl MS 201 ;)). I go to cut wood every spare hour I have, and I search youtube every night for movies.
anyone knows that feeling? do I need to go to a shrink or am I only a typical male? ???

thecfarm

There is only one cure. Pack your chainsaw,come to Chesterville Maine,follow The C Farm signs,long driveway on left,gray house,the boss of the Chainsaw Addiction Program,CAP for short,will be wearing suspenders. He will show you what trees need to be cut. He will drive the tractor,you are not addicted to tractors too? The trees will be brought up and whatever needs to be split must be split. Food and lodging will be provided by CAP. This is a slow process to be cured. Could take years.  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

AdkStihl

I used to live in South Paris when I was younger. Dad worked @ Maine Machine.
I went to Wells Beach for 5 days last week on vacation ;)
J.Miller Photography

ladylake

Everyone likes running a chainsaw I think, has to be the most relaxing hard work there is.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Hilltop366

There is only one cure. Pack your chainsaw,come to Dayton Nova Scotia, long driveway on right, gray house, the boss of the Chainsaw Addiction Program, CAP for short, will be wearing suspenders. He will show you what trees need to be cut. He will drive the tractor, you are not addicted to tractors too? The trees will be brought up and whatever needs to be split must be split. Food and lodging will be provided by CAP. This is a slow process to be cured. Could take years.  :D

You beat me to it cfarm ! (except the suspenders, but I would if I have to )

It's kind of funny because I was just saying to my wife an hour ago that I should start a chainsaw retreat where people would pay to stay with us and I would let them cut and block wood, kind of like a dude ranch for wannabe loggers.

JohnG28

Quote from: ladylake on August 29, 2013, 05:35:18 PM

Everyone likes running a chainsaw I think, has to be the most relaxing hard work there is.   Steve

This about sums it up. It is my, strangely, quiet calm place, if you will. Wife thinks I'm nuts, maybe she's on to something, but I don't care a bit. Not a better place to be than the woods with a good saw.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

bandmiller2

Anyone that has cut wood with a buck saw will flat a$$ worship a chain saw.I know of no outher machine that saves so much work and uses so little fuel. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

sawdusty1

You have chainsaw Fever.  A very expensive disease.  I know the feeling.
Woodmizer LT15
Husqvarna 550xp
Husqvarna 372xp
Husqvarna 350
Husqvarna 55 Rancher
Husqvarna 181se
Kubota L4701

Knute

I have the disease too. Makes me feel uneasy since  I'm the only one in my area.

JohnW

Using a good saw in good condition definitely does something to your brain.

barak

thanks for all the thoughts.
I got an unexpected help today.
some friends that saw me cutting a lot, asked to buy fire woods from me instead of the local wood dealer this year. that will force me to cut more and I will make some extra money... 8)

CaptainBigWood

Quote from: barak on August 29, 2013, 03:00:19 PM
since I bought my first chainsaw only a year ago I got addicted to this machine.
I have upgraded it twice already (from an old Stihl MS 180 :-\ to a new Falcon 4580 :-[ to a new Stihl MS 201 ;)). I go to cut wood every spare hour I have, and I search youtube every night for movies.
anyone knows that feeling? do I need to go to a shrink or am I only a typical male? ???

CaptainBigWood

You are just doing what God commanded in Genesis, "Subdue the earth".  We just happen to like to do it with chainsaws.

Cedar Savage

I always thought it was the 2 cycle exaust fumes that made me love to run a chainsaw..
"They fried the fish with bacon and were astonished, for no fish had ever seemed so delicious before."         Mark Twain

mkjones32

Nothing better than busting your butt on a cool bug free day with a chainsaw. If you buy lots of chainsaws your wife will never know if you buy a new one :-)

Dave VH

so does anyone else line up their saws and get kinda antsy trying to decide which one to play with today?  My wife says I have a problem, and I'm not allowed to buy any more saws this year.
I cut it twice and it's still too short

beenthere

I have one go-to MS361. 20" bar and does all I need it to do, be it large trees, limbing, or bucking for firewood.

An old 044 hasn't been run in several years but ran fine last time I needed it.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

barak

Quote from: Dave VH on September 05, 2013, 09:55:10 PM
so does anyone else line up their saws and get kinda antsy trying to decide which one to play with today?  My wife says I have a problem, and I'm not allowed to buy any more saws this year.
One good chain saw is more than enough for my needs, but I think I will buy another one any way  ;D

sawguy21

I have to get a saw running and go look for some wood. I really miss working in the woods.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

NCFarmboy

You don't have it yet that is Chainsaw addiction (CAD for short) you only have one saw :laugh:.  Seriously tho it is always a good idea to carry 2 or more saws to the woods.  You never know when you will NEED another saw.  Friend of mine was making a trip from NC to Kentucky to cut a trailer load of cedar stopped by to pick up 5 chains i had sharpened for him.  Told me about the trip.  He told me he was taking 1 saw MS390.  Talked him into taking a 261 Husky of mine for backup as the nearest town was 60 mi. and on a weekend.  Got there, pulled his 390 to start and starter cord broke.  Last count I was over 125 saws that IS addiction for sure. ;D
Shep
Lots & Lots of Saws

sawguy21

I have more than one saw but none have run for some time.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

barak

Quote from: NCFarmboy on September 07, 2013, 07:02:14 AM
You don't have it yet that is Chainsaw addiction (CAD for short) you only have one saw :laugh:.  Seriously tho it is always a good idea to carry 2 or more saws to the woods.  You never know when you will NEED another saw.  Friend of mine was making a trip from NC to Kentucky to cut a trailer load of cedar stopped by to pick up 5 chains i had sharpened for him.  Told me about the trip.  He told me he was taking 1 saw MS390.  Talked him into taking a 261 Husky of mine for backup as the nearest town was 60 mi. and on a weekend.  Got there, pulled his 390 to start and starter cord broke.  Last count I was over 125 saws that IS addiction for sure. ;D
Shep
I had a used MS 180. a friend called me to come and cut a big apple tree that fell on a yard that he was working at (about an hour drive from my place). I took a day off and went to do the job. after 20 minutes the saw stopped working. we had to continue the job with a hand saw. I bought a new good saw (the MS 201), in order not to get stuck again in a similar situation. also, when I go to a big cutting job, I try to take a friend that has also a saw. for safety and to have at least 2 saws. but anyway you have convinced me that I really need another saw. I just have to save some money for it cause this equipment is very expensive here in Israel. maybe I will buy a cheap saw just to have a backup. but then, where is the fun?

Digging Fool

Quote from: Dave VH on September 05, 2013, 09:55:10 PM
I have several new saws, but always come home with a saw or 2 from somewhere else. When I go to cut wood, I always seem to take the crappy ones to see what they will do. Meanwhile, the new ones are sitting in the building not being used much.  ???

sparky

You don't have an addiction problem until you have more chainsaws than teeth! My saws run from 10" to 60" although the Stihl 84 with a 60" bar does not see much use.

Sparky
I'tnl 2050 with Prentrice 110, Custom built 48" left-hand circular and 52" Bellsaw right-hand circular mills, Jonsered 2171, Stihl 084, and too many other chainsaws. John Deere 3020 and Oliver 1800 with FELs. 20" 4-sided planer and misc.

Icehouse

I have to many saws, can't use more than 1 at a time, (working on that) will undoubtedly get more, probably wont sell any, chainsaw smoke smells good,(bean oil) and my wife says I'm sick. I'm just fine. coocoo_clock
Favorite Stihl ms361 ms064 Favorite Husky 242xp 262xp

Thank You Sponsors!