iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

clean saw

Started by skeetsman, August 28, 2013, 11:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skeetsman

getting ready to tear down a saw have always used brake cleaner. someone told me carb/choke cleaner was better. never had a problem. any suggestions
cs8000, 702evl, 365sp, 32 ton splitter 350husk, cs6700

beenthere

I'd consider cleaning with "Simple Green". It cleans up my saw real well... including the carbon from the exhaust.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

bandmiller2

Skeets,brake clean is a good product but be carefull it will desolve some plastics.The new eco-friendly brake clean is close to worthless.The good old chlorinated stuff be sure you don't put it in with drain oil it will turn it all into hazardous waste.Your probably better off with the auto store spray cans you can hose off. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

jd2007

Usually I'll use an air compressor to take off as much dirt & crud as I can then spray everything down with Purple Power degreaser & let it soak for a bit then hose it off then use air compressor again to dry everything off.  Some lucky people have access to a parts wash which would be great too.
Stihl 029S/039, MS280, MS250
Craftsman 4218

AKDoug

Non-Cholorinated CRC Brakleen is perfect for saws. It's all I use in my shop. It will not hurt the plastic and washes off bar oil and 2-stroke oil instantly.

bandmiller2

A little tip the old chlorinated brake clean is none outher than dry cleaning solvent  if you track grease on mommys carpet it will save the day,just be sure to open the window. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Pullinchips

Quote from: jd2007 on September 02, 2013, 07:42:45 PM
Usually I'll use an air compressor to take off as much dirt & crud as I can then spray everything down with Purple Power degreaser & let it soak for a bit then hose it off then use air compressor again to dry everything off.  Some lucky people have access to a parts wash which would be great too.

I do this as well
Resident Forester
US Army Corps of Engineers: Savannah District

Clemson Forestry Grad 2004
MFR Clemson University 2006
Stihl MS 390

AdkStihl

Quote from: jd2007 on September 02, 2013, 07:42:45 PM

Yup.
Just make sure not to get water in the exhaust or intake
J.Miller Photography

Thank You Sponsors!