iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bell Not cutting right.

Started by Nemologger, August 28, 2013, 08:23:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nemologger

A guy I know has a Bell super T he wants to sell. Only thing is it don't cut well. On small stuff it does ok but on larger stuff it will only cut in about halfway and bind up. Anyone have any ideas? Is there shims that need replaced? Bent bar? Or could the problem be in the pump?
Clean and Sober

snowstorm

dangle saw i assume. have you tried picking up a stick of wood and sawing it? if it saws ok then try putting a little pressure against the tree when cutting

Nemologger

Thanks Snowstorm, when a person grabs the tree and lifts the rear tire off the ground is that correct? Then cut it.
Clean and Sober

oldseabee

Have you checked the pressure when the saw stalls out? Should be 2600 PSI. If it's low check the skid link bottom out pressure, if it's low, and the boom lift is normal could be the double pump on the side of the engine. if it's normal and the boom lift is low it could be the main pump. If they are both normal probably the saw motor. Assuming that the saw feed has been set right. that's the knob on the side of the left dash panel. Try backing the feed off a little. The other feed control on some machines is an orfice fitting in the outlet of the main pump that may be too large and trying to feed to fast. There were 3 orfice sizes available 5.0 MM, 5.5 MM and 6.0 mm. If the machine had been cutting normally and has degraded to poor cutting, run the hydraulic checks above. Obviously you have to look at the bar and chain and the chain lube to make sure it's not causing a drag.

Nemologger

Oldseabee...seems like you know a lot about one of these. The guy said he put a  new bar and chain on it, it has a new saw motor. He said it still wont cut..It will cut the first cut ok but only cut about halfway in  or about 5 inches on the second cut. He said the pump on the side of the motor leaks pretty bad. Do you think it is this pump? If so how much does that pump cost?
Clean and Sober

barbender

I think oldseabee was a Bell mechanic or something if I remember right.
Too many irons in the fire

amberwood

check the raker heights on the chain, even on a new one.
DTR
MS460 Magnum
MS250
DAF CF85-430
ASV RC-85 track loader

kiko

Oldsebea was the factory man. I attended training seminars he put on when I was a bell mechanic for a dealership. He knows his stuff.  I assume two levers are being pulled when working the saw.

Thank You Sponsors!