iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Milling and selling RR ties

Started by RPowers, August 28, 2013, 07:32:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RPowers

I tried the search feature and it returned 0 results, so I hope this isn't a repeat....

I have a WM LT28 coming around Oct, and am wondering if milling and selling ties would be a good use for my mill, among other things. For anyone in this part of the world doing it I have a couple q's. How do I locate a tie buyer, or do you know of one in the AR-OK-MO area? What species will they accept for ties? What standard sizes are ties cut to lxwxh ? I am assuming that for larger logs getting better grade lumber on the outside and then boxing the heart would be a good way to get a tie and some good boards from a single log. Any info about your own experiences would be helpful.

RP
2013 Woodmizer LT28G25 (sold 2016)
2015 Woodmizer LT50HDD47

dgdrls

http://www.rta.org/

follow the link,  this is probably the source for what the RR wants in their ties
There are posts here related to RR ties just search a bit.

I will say RR tie work looks like heavy work on a manual mill,
if you can find a local yard and saw a load over time you will
probably be O.K. you can do it but you will be working!!

I love this video and I suspect this is how the majority of ties are sawn. (vid. 2 changed)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rkzm5N5UQW8

DGDrls

WDH

I suspect that you will starve cutting ties on a manual mill unless the logs are free.  A very competitive commodity business. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

drobertson

RP, this is not a bad option for you, just remember it is a volume base market.  If you have a tie buyer near by and can move the ties and one inch then I would say go for it.  The only draw back is getting the grade for the 1" lumber, many times you will spend more for a tie log than the tie will bring.  This is a tricky market,  In my opinion, if you can supplement your custom work and cutting ties and lumber for $250 a thousand then I would go for it. otherwise It could be a brutal proposition.  The market for flooring is up so this would be the time to try it.  Just saying you need to have a buyer for the 1" and ties relatively close, unless you have a trucking company.  Don't forsake the slabs and dust, this is a clear profit if you can move it, otherwise you will wind up with a pile of debris that builds up quickly.    david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

GAmillworker

Thank the Lord for second chances

beenthere

In addition to the other posts, do a search on "ties" under the member name "bibbyman" and you will get a lot of great information about tie markets and tie production methods, plus several "ins and outs" to read about.
You will get about 4 pages of results (not sure what you searched to get "0" results ;) )
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

RPowers

Thanks for the replies, guys!  A co-worker is select timbering a piece of land he just bought in order to help make the payments. He is selling his highest grade sawlogs to a guy out of Joplin, MO and then taking the smaller logs (minimum 12" DIB) to a local man who mills them into pallet/packing material and ties. He said he is getting 200-250MBF for the tie/pallet logs. I have 28 acres that needs serious thinning and stand improvement, so taking smaller or misshapen trees and getting some free tie/pallet material was what I had in mind, plus I know guys with tree services that I can probably get alot of free logs from, or near free anyway. I'm mostly interested in building a custom-sawing business for the mill, but in the meanwhile I don't want to just twiddle my thumbs.

What is a good slab/dust market? I was thinking firewood for the slabs, but sawdust leaves me guessing, other than as mulch for my garden, :).

Thanks again, RP
2013 Woodmizer LT28G25 (sold 2016)
2015 Woodmizer LT50HDD47

thecfarm

Sawdust,horses. Or in my area it is.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

Sawdust needs to compost before garden use.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

grweldon

WOW!  That video was an eye opener for me!  How could anybody with a bandmill compete with that?  Thanks for the link DGDRIS!
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

drobertson

this is a good video for sure, and shows just how fast these circle mills can process a log. These logs shown were the perfect scenario for tie cutting.  And this sawyer was clearly very experienced, this said, after my experience last winter running an Lt-70, I can testify that most tie logs of this size can be processed within a two min time frame, with the right set up an personnel.  The only question is where are the ties going, where is the lumber going, and is the lumber bringing a higher price,  and what is the cost of the logs.  There are so many logs sold for tie prices, $300/th.  where in fact only a 4x6 and some 1" is produced.  This is not very profitable,  david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Thank You Sponsors!