iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

eastern red cedar

Started by brooksmill, August 28, 2013, 06:35:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brooksmill

anyone have a feel what its worth per bdf.  had a call today wanting some.  have no idea what to charge

beenthere

Quoteanyone have a feel what its worth per bdf.  had a call today wanting some.  have no idea what to charge

Not enough info about where you are getting the trees, or what your costs are for furnishing whatever... is it logs, cants, cedar siding, fence boards. Help us out.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

drobertson

Bottom line is $650 a thousand, no one needs to know if you are buying the stock, it can go for an avg. of $420 a thousand at mills that produce a cedar product.   I try to figure $250 a thousand and up for about every sawing job, and this can equate to close to $84 bucks and hour in any given situation. This is your decision, what you charge is dependent on your overhead.   david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Cedarman

I have an extensive price list at www.cedarusa.com.  High or low this is what we charge.  Others have their own prices.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

WDH

Go to Cedarman's website if you want to see prices for cedar lumber.  He has them posted there.  cedarusa.com

I sell air dried cedar boards for $2.00/BF to woodworkers.  Probably not enough, though. 

Uh oh, I see Cedarman beat me to his own punch  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Tripp

$1.60 per board foot here. Rough sawn air dried. Seem to have no trouble selling all I can get my hands on.

Tripp

francismilker

Quote from: WDH on August 28, 2013, 08:38:22 PM
Go to Cedarman's website if you want to see prices for cedar lumber.  He has them posted there.  cedarusa.com

I sell air dried cedar boards for $2.00/BF to woodworkers.  Probably not enough, though. 

Uh oh, I see Cedarman beat me to his own punch  :).

I'm the same as WDH.  $2 per bdft might not be enough, but it's working for me.  I don't sale an abundance of it but enjoy having pink boogers so it's worth it! ;D
"whatsoever thy hands finds to do; do it with thy might" Ecc. 9:10

WM LT-10supergo, MF-271 w/FEL, Honda 500 Foreman, Husq 550, Stihl 026, and lots of baling wire!

Cedarman

When we ship lumber by LTL it increases the price by about 30% or more, so the prices mentioned are not out of line by any means.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

MattJ

I don't mill it but buy probably 500-1000bf /yr for outdoor projects.  The places around here are typically near $2 a bf air dried (Raleigh).  I buy from a sawyer that charges $1bf for 4/4, $1.5/bf anything thicker, green right off the mill.  He sells everything he has and I always have to place an order and get in line.  Great rot resistant lumber and air dries in weeks.  Watch the dust while sawing though, it will get to you.

Matt

WDH

Sold 100 BF of 4/4 today (but I raised the price.  It is hard to get around here  :)).   
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!