iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Millwork lumber

Started by Pabsthd, August 28, 2013, 09:04:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pabsthd

Hi Guys a newbie from WI. In the past I worked making furniture in a factory. Now I'm on my own in the Northwoods. ;D Now my question: I don't want to mill my own lumber.There are soooo many guys around here that do. What I want to do is buy millwork/furniture grade lumber and ship it out of state. What are the regulations? Can a small guy like me be allowed to move it?
I would love to help out the local guys sell thier lumber and hire local drivers to ship it.
Now I'm talking millwork /furniture grade NOT construction. I have no interest in competing with the big boys.
Ideas???suggestions??

Ron Wenrich

Are you planning on doing the millwork, or just ship lumber?  There may be a niche in making custom millwork.  As for shipping out of state, we've done it with green lumber.  There may be some restrictions in quarantine areas.  Ash lumber is one that comes to mind.  Check with your state forestry dept.  A kiln does away with a lot of those problems. 

There are quite a few lumber dealers that ship this quality of wood all the time.  They buy from small mills and consolidate the lumber by use.  Its then kiln dried, and often planed before shipping.  This would be some of your competition.

I know of one company that was successful in developing markets that involved making panel stock for cabinet makers.  They kiln dried, planed, ripped and glued up the panels.  They matched the lumber very well. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

beenthere

Pabst
Welcome to the Forestry Forum.

Are you interested in the grading aspects of lumber, i.e. becoming a certified grader?  Or thinking you can buy and sort the lumber into the millwork/furniture grade you then plan to sell ??
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Magicman

Pabsthd, I can not help you with your questions, but Welcome to the Forestry Forum.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

red oaks lumber

welcome
where in wisc. are you ? my thoughts are what are you going to do differnt than what already happens.?
you probably wont be buying in truckload qtys. so you'll be paying a higher per b.f. price, which puts you at a disadvantage. sorry if i didnt paint a good picture :)
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

justallan1

I think it all depends on what state you are trying to ship it into and their policies. I know when I worked in mills in California you couldn't bring in any type of plant or non treated lumber, or kiln dried above a certain %, but you could import "green" cedar from out of state. So I would have to figure it changes from state to state and species of wood also.
If the folks that you plan to supply are of any size or have been in business for any amount of time they should know what the rules are already.
I hope it all works out for you.

Allan

Pabsthd

Thanks guys! I'm in Florence county near the U.P. eh! I was planning on shipping to Nevada. I'm not sure it would work. Such a numbers game. But I'm still looking at it. I was thinking to ship green,and set up shop out there and let the desert dry it. ??? I'd sell mostly hardwoods : Maple,oak and cherry. Maybe cedar and pine...... Custom plane/rip per customer.

red oaks lumber

that kind of thinking i like  :) if the numbers work, i think the plan has great merit.
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

beenthere

QuoteI was thinking to ship green,and set up shop out there and let the desert dry it

Next day delivery?  or how long do you think it would be to get a load of green lumber to Nevada (about 2000 miles), and on stickers out there?  Might be an important time factor to figure out. ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Pabsthd

Yes, the trucking game. I have no clue about that. Gotta talk to some local truckers. Have it set up for 3-4 loads a year. Idea's??? ???
The thing is if I could have circle of producers willing to cut and sell at a fair price. A quick buck for the sawmill and I take on the risk of inventory. My customers will determine what species I need.

Thank You Sponsors!