iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Finish Moisture Content for Slabs

Started by Kedwards, May 07, 2004, 01:54:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kedwards

Has anyone used slabs for projects that were NOT fully dried. I personally wouldn't but I have a customer asking me for some of my wood and its not dry but he wants to use it for a mantle piece and seal it. I recommended against it but he said he has done this before and didn't have any problems. Besides a vacuum kiln or use of PEG 1000 what other method is used for drying large pieces in a relatively short period of time without massive degradation and secondly is his assumption correct? thanks :P
His thoughts tumbled in his head, making and breaking alliances like socks in a dryer without cling free

beenthere

"...secondly is his assumption correct?""
Meaning he is going to "seal" non-dry wood and have it be okay as a mantle piece?  

I think you are correct in your recommendation against it.  Maybe this guy isn't too fussy and checks, cracks, and some warping over time are okay for him.  If that is success for him, who can argue?  :D

I've heard of people brushing on PEG over a long period of time and reducing (or at least think they did) the big cracks and surface checking as the moisture was dried from the wood. Not a very expediant process.  Plus, partially dried wood already has the beginnings of surface checks, etc. and PEG, I hear, only works well if the wood is pretty fresh from the saw, or has been stored under water or kept very wet.

I'll let others comment about vacuum drying.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Tom

Yes, I've used "not dried" slabs or timbers before with great success for rustic and crafty projects mostly.

Timbers containing the pith (ie boxed heart) are more prone to checking than those that don't   Timbers (mantles) cut from the outside of a log may not be as apt to check but may not stay straight based on their orientation to the bark side of the timber.

Most folks I've run into who use solid timbers for mantles are after the rustic look and aren't put off by things that would be considered degrade in other applications.

If you have described the possibilities of degrade to him and he still wants to do it, sell him the slab. :)

ElectricAl

Check the slabs for worms and bugs in or under the bark and even into the sap wood.

Heat in the kiln is what kills the bugs.
Linda and I custom saw NHLA Grade Lumber, do retail sales, and provide Kiln Services full time.

Den Socling

Al points out something I hadn't even thought about. Cracks are nothing compared to a bunch of bugs taking wing from your mantle.

Fla._Deadheader

CYPRESS, the bug free wood ;) :D :D :D :D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

ElectricAl

We are sawing Soft Maple this week and the little timber spiders are hatching. I kid you not, millions of tiny spiders everywhere :o

Did I mention they bite >:(

Wonder what Suzy Q will say to
an infestation of Spiders

What do you think Den
145 degree for 24 hours ;)

Linda and I custom saw NHLA Grade Lumber, do retail sales, and provide Kiln Services full time.

etat

One day one of my daughters friends came over and asked her if she wanted a tarantula.  Her mom wouldn't let her keep it!  My daughter went ugh, the wife said no, I said "wait a minute, I want it".  So she brought it to me cage and all.  That thing was HUGE.  About a week later it died.  I always accused the wife of MURDERING it!!!!

When we lived at Center there was one a spiders web next to my shop.  It was one of them big yellow garden spiders that weaved the cool looking webs.  She was my friend, I used to feed her raw hamburger.  Chickens pretty much keep em cleaned up around here.

Now, Little bitty spiders, nope I'm afraid of em.  Would be afraid they'd be one a them brown recluse son of a guns. REALLY REALLY bad spiders!!!!
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

Linda

Spiders galore! >:(  They go with us everywhere(they are so small we can't see them very well).  Good thing ElectricAl and I take nice hot shower before bedtime! ;)

Bugs aren't cool to take home.  Especially the roaches that hide under the bark. :o  Using the kiln to kill the bugs is a good idea.  If you do, make sure you seal the ends with anchor seal.  It should cut down on the cracking.  Plus, if   you put it in the kiln, you will have a good idea of how much it will crack and where.  Put several pieces in the kiln and pick the one you like best.

Linda
Wood-Mizer 2012 LT50HDE25

Kedwards

Well I will just caveat the devil out of it and tell him it would be better to let it keep on drying for a while.. and sell it to him  ;)
His thoughts tumbled in his head, making and breaking alliances like socks in a dryer without cling free

Kedwards

another  questionusing PEG 1000. Does anyone here use it and if so does it bleed through on final finish?

beenthere

Kedwards
I understand that PEG 1000 (molecular weight of 1000) will bleed through most finishes, except the two part pour-on epoxy (thick finish coat) finishes, or the other extreme, the oil finishes (like Watco Danish oil).  There was a book printed years ago (1969?) called "Working Green Wood with PEG" by Patrick Spielman (well known wood working writer in Door county, WI) which is pretty detailed on PEG.

I have several gun stocks on  rifles treated for stability with PEG and the best finish I know is the Watco Danish Oil. If the humidity gets high, the PEG may bleed through, but I refurbish the finish by wiping the gun stock down with new Watco oil and its good to go. Usually wet sand (600) any scratches out with the new oil, that may have accumulated due to use hunting. I also have a few walnut lamps and bowls treated with PEG 1000. They were soaked in PEG while green for several days at high temperatures (150 F I think) and dried, sanded, and finished with the oil.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!