iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Getting my Food Plots ready.

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, August 26, 2013, 05:42:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

My son and I hunt a power line on a 100 acre Hardwood mix.
I planted the food plot this morning using a mix of Deer goodies. I also planted a good bed of Wheat. This is the first year DNR has lifted the
"bait using Corn" law in the upstate of S.C.
I'll be adding corn on the cob as soon as its ready to pick. We've had so much rain, the corn stalks are still too green to run the picker through.

The Buzzard perched on the tower have been roosting on the same tower for over 20 years.

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Raider Bill

It will grow for this hunting season?
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Raider Bill on August 26, 2013, 06:02:05 PM
It will grow for this hunting season?

Oh yeah. The greens will be coming up in about a week. By October, the field will be green and tender.
Deer actually love this stuff when it first starts to come up.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

isawlogs

I'de of had to plant that in may to get it to grow enough to be used as a food plot here...    ::)  Ya got quite a short period of growth... no wonder your tomatoes are the size of our water melons.....   ;D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

thecfarm

I can tell that's not on my land. No rocks!!!!!I have thought about planting some turnips, and carrots,beets,but never have yet.Just on a small scale. Just a few small areas.One year I was slack getting the carrots and beets out of the garden. The deer found them. Looked odd to see the snow purple and orange.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WDH

Looking good.  It is getting to be that time of the year.  Last year was so dry that I did not waste any seed. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

drobertson

I will assume that this lil plot is on or near a crossing? otherwise it looks really good!  any browse is better than nothing,  david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Peter Drouin

Hunting over bate will save all the walking.

And you can use the tractor to bring the thing home too
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

WH_Conley

I have mine ready for months. We started out calling it a garden. >:( The name finally got changed to deer food plot after We planted 3 1/2 pounds of beans and never got the first one. I will be harvesting my garden. :rifle:
Bill

Corley5

I was going to put in some rye at a couple spots but time got away.  I'll bush hog them them again to get some green up on the brome and quack grass.  It's the piles of ear corn, sugar beets, apples and carrots that draw the deer in anyway  ;) ;D
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

chain

Deer love those soybean sprouts and tender seedlings that come up after rainy spells in harvested fields. They sometimes are seen in the evenings racing out to areas of the fields where  the newly sprouted beans are thickest. Then, some old does will try to run off younger deer competing for the beans.

beenthere

Puzzles me, as we have lots of acres of beans around here, and I've yet to see deer in them.

Just coincidence, or maybe the deer need to develop a taste for soybeans? 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

chain

That is strange. The deer eat our soybeans from planting in the spring until frost or freeze in the fall. I think I saw where deer biologists are doing a two-year study in Mississippi relating to deer damage from grazing soybeans. The deer can thin out a field if location is next to a small woods. We've had around 25 deer, not counting fawns in a 40 acre field every evening, more when the river is flooding. Also, I have some fields adjacent to USDA Wetlands, deer everywhere in the soybean fields.

Save corn.......Once the ear is developed on the stalk deer will prefer irrigated corn fields over soybeans...for sure!

ND rancher

Went hunting to-nite in my food plots aka my corn fields, no luck as it started to rain and hail just as the deer showed up. I like to plant radishes, turnips, rye, soybeans,and sunflowers, maybe pumpkin and melons if its early enough. It was to dry though ,this year so nothing got planted. Did get a few acres of cover crops in just 2days before we got some rain, so maybe that will work as it's emerged already!
TimberKing B-20.  Have been bitten by the bug! Loving life !

Magicman

My plots will get bushhogged, raked, disked and planted by the end of September.  Hopefully, we will not have the army worm problem that sometime pops up if we plant too early.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

drobertson

I have used two different varieties of soy beans for deer, Maverick and Laredo, they clearly preferred the Laredo over the Maverick,  we plant around memorial day. A good mix I found to be red or white clover mixed with the beans,  david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Thank You Sponsors!