iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Al gave me this...

Started by Jeff, May 07, 2004, 12:52:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian_Bailey

Charlie,  

Your friend's twig Hyg. works on the same principle as Rittenhouse's.  
The twig has compression or tension wood in it. That kind of wood absorbs moisture differently than the rest of the twig's wood and causes the twig to bend as the moisture in the air changes.

Speaking of scrapers, we can't overlook the workhorses of the scraper world.
The one on the left is Lie-Neilsen's version of Stanley's #112 Scraper plane.
The one on the right is a Stanley #80.
They're used when a flat surface is essential.

WMLT40HDG35, Nyle L-150 DH Kiln, now all I need is some logs and someone to do the work :)

OneWithWood

Jeff,
Just got back on the forum after being off for a bit (working too hard) so I am late to this thread.  I looked at your chunk o' wood and the first thing I saw was the outline of a praire dog, squirrel, weasel, or something like that.  I like Brian's idea but I would mount it 90 deg so the outline of the animal is as if it is on its hind legs.  Maybe you could highligh the outline with a carving chisel or a wood burner.
I am looking forward to seeing what you do with it.
What's cribbage?  Is that something you roll hamburger in? :D
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

shopteacher

Onewithwood: In Pittsburgh those cribbage rolls are known as "Hunky Handgernades".   :D
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

Brian_Bailey

My hygrometer project is taking a little longer than I planned on.  
Here's a quick peek, I'll post pictures of the finished project tomorrow  ;D.

WMLT40HDG35, Nyle L-150 DH Kiln, now all I need is some logs and someone to do the work :)

Brian_Bailey

Well, here is my version of a Rittenhouse Hygrometer.

David Rittenhouse, 1732-1796 was known as the Dean of Early American Men of Science.

I've been saving this piece of walnut for about 11 years waiting for the right project.

Since hygrometers measure the absolute or relative amount of moisture in the air, I felt that the walnut board which resembles a whale would be appropriate to use since whales like water.

Also, since Mr. Rittenhouse lived in the 1700's, I felt a whaling scene from the 18th century would be fun to cobble together.

The project started out simple but then became more complex then I had planned on.
It involved making the simple hygrometer part, but then I had to get my chisels and knives out to carve the butternut boat and basswood figures.
Then I had to fashion the oars, harpoon, and tiller out of copper wire.
The figurines looked kinda plain so I gussied them up with some color.

Here is what I came up with.

This picture shows the unit mounted on the wall.

I mounted it with a sliding dovetail so it can be easily removed from the wall.

With the whale fitted to its own base, it can easily sit on a table or shelf.

Here's what the basswood figures looked like before painting.

Well, now all I have to do is calibrate the hygrometer. When that's done I'll have a reliable way of telling if it's humid or dry in my shop  ;D.

Thanks for looking  :).

Fla._Deadheader

Brian, you constantly amaze me with your talent.  

We made some nice Pecky strips today. Had to leave early to get our truck. If they haven't been stolen when we get back to camp, I will gather some and send them to you. Lets see what you come up with. ;D  I still have to cut the crown root for Sawwood. I am getting too far behind with my promises.  ::)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

SwampDonkey

Yup Brian:

You can bet there will be alot of folks takin a peek at your work of art. :)  I've been saving some elm, basswood and butternut bolts in the shop for a fun project. I'll get creative some day.  :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

CHARLIE

DanG Brian, you are quite the carver too and really have some very creative ideas too. Very nice.  How do you calibrate that hygrometer?
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Brian_Bailey

Charlie,

I haven't done much carving other than sharpening a pencil in quite a few years. Believe it or not, I got lucky and only wood was cut on this project  :D :D.

I need the practice so I bought somemore basswood to play with :D.

Calibrating the hygrometer is just a matter of waiting for the strip of wood to move.  Then checking it with a real hygrometer and make a reference mark.

Norm

That is cool Brian, like your paneling behind it too. :)

Patty must be a distant relative of yours Brian, everytime I cut something different she says "save that for me". Now I have a shed full of lumber she has saved and won't let me sell. I told her the other day I can't save every darn piece of walnut with feather in it because you like it...oh well guess I can. ;D

Jeff

Its been years since I saw a log truck with the loader mounted right behind the cab used up here. Everybody hauls pups so they put the loader in the back. Back in my wood haulin days the old binder I ran had the loader behind the cab. Pretty handy for changing steer tires.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

shopteacher

Brian that's really a nice piece you produced there.  You have a very talented knack of coming up with great designs.
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

Brian_Bailey

When I sawed the walnut log that the whale piece came from, I knew right then that it had a future with me.
I just didn't know how I was going to put it to use.
I planned on doing something like sawwood suggested earlier.
I just never seemed to get around to doing it though.
Probably subconsciously, like Jeff, I didn't want to ruin the character of the piece.
So when Jeff started this thread and after reading sawwood's suggestion, my brain switched from survival to creative mode and I finally found a way to use my unusual walnut piece :).
Thanks Guys

Thank You Sponsors!