iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Al gave me this...

Started by Jeff, May 07, 2004, 12:52:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

When we was out in Iowa, Al and Linda gave me a peice of wood as a suvenier. It was a 1/2 inch slice off of an ole cherry log. What should I do with it. Itsa kinda special to me. Its not real flat, and not real big. I just have it sitting in here in the office. Its mine and I love it. Theres something else that makes it kinda special and deserving of a special project...

Any idears for my little ole hunk of wood?

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Tom

It's difficult to tell the size but it may make a good name plate for your desk or a "Brokaw" name plate for the front door.  The good thing about signs is that you have the backside to write a story upon. :)

Jeff

Sure, no ideas for just a plain lonely old scrap of wood. Well I suppose I have to show you it up a little closer and maybe give it a wipe of water.

old3dogg

Id just hang it up just to show it off.
Maybe put a clear coat on it just for protection.
Everyone that comes to your home or office is going to ask about it and then you can tell the story.
just a thought.
Mike.

etat

I'm thinking some kind of picture or artwork.  When I was in boy scouts we finished some pieces of wood, and then took pictures and carefully burnt the edges, then glued it to the wood, then varnished over the whole thing.  One I made had a picture of a coon. I just don't see a  nameplate in that piece of wood.  That'd be to easy.   I'm thinking artwork, high shine, and high polish. I also can't see it being carved on.  Maybe something added too.  Or finished as a backpiece to display something old somehow.  
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

Tom

yeah, that second picture kinda takes it out of the "sign" catagory.  Heck, if it were finished it would stand on its own merit.

Haytrader

Wouldn't take that Bailey boy long to figure out sumthin to do with it. I think his first name is Brian or sumthin close to that.

;)
Haytrader

old3dogg

Yep!BRAIN could come up with a good use for it! :D

sawwood

Jeff how about a clock or a temperture/humidity gauge
 would look nice.

Sawwood
Norwood M4 manual mill, Solar Kiln, Woodmaster
18" planer/molder

Rocky_J

It looks kinda like it could be a carving of a bear. I can see the ears and eyes.
 ???

ElectricAl

Hey I remember that piece ;D

Linda and I had to saw over 200,000 feet of Cherry to find that piece :o

Looks like heavy Bird's Eye Maple but it's Iowa Cherry.

I bet it will be on display at the Pig Roast.

It's quite a testament to God's handy work 8)

Sand it to 400 grit, add a UV protected clear ploy.

Instant conversation piece :D

Linda and I custom saw NHLA Grade Lumber, do retail sales, and provide Kiln Services full time.

isawlogs

Well I for one second Sawood , a clock on one side and a little writing to commemorate its origin and how you came to be the proud owner .  :)
  I would put a backing on it to hold the mecanisme and also at the same time it would make it stand out from the wall , put something original instead of numbers , I made one with a cherry slab and used some empty shells that came from my remington riffle that I liked alot and that some %$?%$&?% took from me wile I was at work , lets not go there  >:(, added a piece of apple slab to the front drilled a hole and put a few pieces of barley and oats . It was sanded down with 400 and poly aplied to it. Renée (my wife ) thought it was good anough for the living room ;)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Jeff

Really dont need another clock around although the thermometer/barometer idea is not bad. Truth is, that this peice of wood is soooo cool, I dont want to cover up any of it! :)

isawlogs

In that case sand it down poly it up and hang it  ;)
  Seeing that it is only 1/2 inch I would put a backing on it maybe a few blocks to make it stand out from the wall ....you could write on the back... ;)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

CHARLIE

Electric Al, He's gotta go to at least 600 grit on that one. Then put a couple of heavy coats of Watco Danish Oil on it which should make the birdseye pop out and show up real good.  Then when the oil finish is dry, put on a coat of high  gloss varnish and polish it real good.

Jeff, you never did say what size the piece of wood was. That makes a difference ya know.  If it's a chunk that is about 4" X 7", then you could polish it down and make a desk set out of it.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Brian_Bailey

Jeff,

I have to go with sawwood's suggestion.

I'd use those miniature guages so you don't lose too much of that birds eye. Then make up a cradle of a contrasting wood for it to set in and then set it where it can be enjoyed  :).
WMLT40HDG35, Nyle L-150 DH Kiln, now all I need is some logs and someone to do the work :)

Jeff

Its about 12 to 14 inches wide by around 2 foot long.

Linda

We still have the chunk your slice came off of.  We can't decide what to do with ours either.

If I could talk ElectricAl into a scroll saw ;)  I'd probably slice it thin and make some kind of pretty edge around it for hanging.  We thought about turning it, but that would waste so much, it would be a crime.
Wood-Mizer 2012 LT50HDE25

ElectricAl

Charlie,

Thanks for the update on the 600 grit.  We have never worked anything with this much crazy grain.
Linda and I custom saw NHLA Grade Lumber, do retail sales, and provide Kiln Services full time.

CHARLIE

A random orbital sander with hook and loop pad would do a fine and fast job of sanding that wood down. Keep changing grits until you get to about 220. Then hand sand from there with the grain. Handsand with 220, then 320, 360, 400 and last 600. It'll be might purty.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Duane_Moore

??? Hows about some type of Presious stone, or metal in layed,  Diamonds, Gold, Emerals, small and not distracting from the wood, Your Grandmas wedding set? Grandfathers Watch, a Colt 45 engraved,  A Nice Knife.        trying to help.   Duh---Duane
village Idiot---   the cat fixers----  I am not a complete Idiot. some parts missing.

Bigdogpc

I think I'd hafta take a little slice off it and shape it like a blade for a knife, then I'd make the handle slabs of a contrasting wood that was also in the "special" category.  Once I got my wood folding knife made...I'd display it on the remainder of that slab and hang it.  Sure is pretty wood.

rebocardo

Finish it off nice and even on all sides and turn it into a vertical picture frame that you tack pictures onto.

Brian_Bailey

Here's another suggestion.  

How about making a Rittenhouse Hygrometer and center it on your board. It's all made out of wood and I'm quite sure would compliment rather than obscure that pretty cherry  :).

You can either hang the board on the wall or make a cradle so it could free stand.

What's a Rittenhouse Hygrometer  ???

It was invented by David Rittenhouse back in the 1700's  :o.

All it is, is 2 pieces of thin wood about 5" long and 3/4" wide glued together.
One piece the grain runs the lenght of it.
The other is cross grain.
One end of the glued up piece is fixed so it can't move. The other end is free to move.

How it works is, as the moisture in the air changes, the cross grained piece swells (moist air) or contracts (drier air) and causes the free end to swing oneway or another.

Heck, you could even use a small twig in place of the wood strip but I don't think the deflection would be as great.

WMLT40HDG35, Nyle L-150 DH Kiln, now all I need is some logs and someone to do the work :)

Jeff

Brain, that sounds cool. I am having trouble visualizing it though. I'll have to try to research that

Thank You Sponsors!