iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hudson banger firewood processor info

Started by logman81, August 25, 2013, 09:25:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

logman81

Precision Firewood & Logging

logman81

Has any one ever used a carbid chain on their processor? Just wondering cause with dragging the logs through the dirt like the badger does I think it might be something to consider.

leonz

I was told by my chain supplier that spending money on a carbide chain for
firewood was a waste of good money because it will dull just as quickly.
The thing is that carbide will last longer in clean materials that need to be sized
as well as mining drill bits but dirt ruins them just like a regular non carbide chain.
Unless you have pressure washer or a debarker its a mute point.

logboy

Quote from: logman81 on August 26, 2013, 08:09:43 AM
Logboy how do like it now that you have had it for a bit? What were some of the issues you had with it? Would it be good for a small commercial firewood business? I'm not looking for a high production machine just one that after coming home from logging can fire up and process a few cords until it gets dark and when I have free time. I'm sure I'll have more questions!

In my opinion the weak link is the way you feed logs.  I replaced the chain choker with a set of tongs with a spring to help hold it closed. It works pretty well until the spring gets stretched which happens if I'm doing a couple big logs.  Its way faster than the choker.  I'd love to have a live log deck but its hard to justify another $8k for a machine when I process at most 20 cord a year (I got the machine because I lost an arm).  Once the log is in the machine it will cut and process as fast as you can pull the cut off bar or run the splitter hydraulics.  Then you have to stop, spool out the cable, and latch onto another log. Unless I'm filling up my firewood cages I just pull the machine where I stack my wood and bring over logs with the skid loader. Real small wood (that doesnt need splitting) is faster just to buck by hand. The logs need a bit of weight for the machine to work properly.  It doesnt like real bowed or curved logs (but neither does any other processor and I've seen over 30 run).

Are you guys talking about blocks on the Badger not falling in the splitter trough right? That has never really been much of an issue on mine. There is a little piece of clear plastic designed to keep sawdust from spraying on the operator.  Occasionally blocks were hanging up on that so I cut mine.  Besides, you're standing right in front of the trough. Just give it a push with your hand if it gets askew. Aside from that you're stacking wood or pulling levers. Not exactly strenuous work.

Overall the machine works good.  I can cut wood all day and not feel tired in the least. I'd never go back to doing it by hand. I've snaked 18" wood through mine. Thats where it really shines because you don't have to man handle the big things in full like with a wood splitter, just quarter sized pieces to run back through it.

I have two chains that I swap out. They get dull from dragging the logs through the dirt.  It would be easy to throw down a skid or a piece of plywood or something. You can still cut a few cord before it needs sharpening. I already spend hours sharpening chains for my slabber so I don't mind 10 minutes once in a great while for the Badger.

I wrote a review on the machine.  You can read it here. 

https://www.sawmillmag.com/download-review/79/Hud-Son+Badger+Firewood+Splitter
I like Lucas Mills and big wood.  www.logboy.com

logman81

Hey log boy thank you so much for the info! you have answered a lot of the questions I had on the machine, I think the problem I saw in the video with the smaller logs not falling in the splitter trough properly was in fact caused by the plastic saw dust guard, simple fix like you said.  I think your right about the ditching the choker chain and going with the tongs seems the right way to go. ;) I think I would just keep a few sharp chains stored on the machine so that when they got dull just swap them, sharpening is no big deal for me as i have a grinder to do it, quick and painless. I really think this could be the perfect machine for me, I want to get back into the firewood sales again but don't want all the hand labor. I use to have a timberwolf tw-5 FC with all the options and a shop built 20' conveyor and it was a good setup, but their was still bending over to cut the logs into blocks and load onto splitter. This machine would eliminate all that with it's own cut off and such. Drag the log in and start processing that simple! ;D  I wish that their was someone close to me that had one that could demo for me. :D

logman81

Logboy thanks for the link very interesting, and thank you for serving!

Ivan49

Quote from: logman81 on September 02, 2013, 06:39:49 AM
Hey log boy thank you so much for the info! you have answered a lot of the questions I had on the machine, I think the problem I saw in the video with the smaller logs not falling in the splitter trough properly was in fact caused by the plastic saw dust guard, simple fix like you said.  I think your right about the ditching the choker chain and going with the tongs seems the right way to go. ;) I think I would just keep a few sharp chains stored on the machine so that when they got dull just swap them, sharpening is no big deal for me as i have a grinder to do it, quick and painless. I really think this could be the perfect machine for me, I want to get back into the firewood sales again but don't want all the hand labor. I use to have a timberwolf tw-5 FC with all the options and a shop built 20' conveyor and it was a good setup, but their was still bending over to cut the logs into blocks and load onto splitter. This machine would eliminate all that with it's own cut off and such. Drag the log in and start processing that simple! ;D  I wish that their was someone close to me that had one that could demo for me. :D

Did you call the company and ask if there are any in your area? These small processors have a way of hiding inside when not in use.There are several in my area not of that make, but you never see them unless they are being used.

logboy

Thats why I got the Badger. No more bending over and picking up blocks. If you can find a way to get tree length wood then you could really fly. I'm stuck with 8' sticks.

logman81

Tree length is the only thing I get from my jobs. I can pick and chose the best logs for the machine.

logman81

I have been thinking more about the badger and after watching the videos again I can't help but wonder why they didn't put a auto cycle valve for the splitter? Maybe for insurance reasons? I think it would speed things up a bit and free your hands to run the other functions. I would think it would be simple to convert it to if one wanted to.

logboy

I never felt the need for it. While the ram is retracting I'm cutting the next piece. While the ram is splitting I'm feeding the log for the next cut. Just don't get too greedy or you'll engage the winch while you're cutting and bend the bar all to heck.

North River Energy

QuoteI have been thinking more about the badger and after watching the videos again I can't help but wonder why they didn't put a auto cycle valve for the splitter? Maybe for insurance reasons? I think it would speed things up a bit and free your hands to run the other functions. I would think it would be simple to convert it to if one wanted to.

Cost aside, if the splitter had an autocycle, the split phase would be somewhat out of synch with both the in-feed and cutoff.

It sounds as though you are rationalizing the purchase of a compromise. 

Which would be one thing if you were looking at a used piece of gear at a fire sale price, but that isn't the case.
For your apparent budget, you could do any number or things to maximize the use of your 'spare time'.

One of your concerns is dirty wood.  If you know dirty wood will be a part of the operation, you have the choice between a carbide tipped circle saw, or a shear.

The shear is already out on account of fiber damage, and a use for sawdust.

At present, there are at least two Palax Combi circle saw units listed on CraiglistVT, one at 7.5k, and the other at 5.3k.  They don't handle large wood, but that can be an asset, as you won't need to do re-splits.

If you know you will have to deal with crooked wood, the best way to do that is sort the crooked stuff from the straight and do all the knee and elbow surgery at one time.
That, and make sure the in-feed on your processor is shallow, as on a Multitek 2040.

Maximizing your return on the resource involves sorting, and sorting is facilitated by some sort of loader.  Like this recent listing in the for sale dept:
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,68756.0.html

With a small loader, you can better manage your landings.
If a firewood customer wants only a particular species, you can sort for that job and charge a premium for the delivered product.

If you can cut and weld, configure a quick attach for the loader such that you can fix it to a trailer, and maybe to one end or the other of your skidder.  If you want to process firewood at the client's location, the loader allows you to sort, to load and unload your splitter and conveyor etc. and to manage your in-feed.

Earlier, Brendonv made a few astute observations. One of which suggested the use of a Supersplit and staging/cutting platform.  Your trailer could easily be configured as such.  If you have blocks too large for the SS, simply pick up one of those nasty horizontal/vertical dime-store hydros, or better yet, make a unit you can manipulate with the loader bucket.

If you are patient, you can set yourself up with the portable 'all-in-one' machine that you need, rather than the one that you think you want.

Firewood production should be viewed as a manufacturing process.  Each part of that process, from raw material handling to distribution of the end product, should be coordinated such that product flow is steady, even, and hopefully time effective.

Were I you, I think I would be trying to find the best machine(s) for the job (as I perceived it), regardless of cost, and then work backward from there until I had something that fit the budget with the fewest possible compromises.

CTL logger

I hired the guy up the road from me to split a couple loads of wood with his chomped I'm not impressed half the wood was too big or I should say the butt end was I ended up cutting one load by hand and had to pay him. I want to buy a small processor and really like the Wood Beaver processors and the guy selling them at the shows also built it. They look like a nice machine and it has a hydraulic log lift so your not dragging your wood through the dirt. I hope to have one by fall.

logman81

Logboy, your right their really isn't a need for the auto cycle, I didn't relies you could operate multiple hydraulic functions at the same time ie splitter and winch. As far as dirty wood and dulling chain it isn't a big concern to me as I can keep a few sharp spares ready to switch out the dull ones. And once their dull I can quickly sharpen with my chain grinder. That little log loader is awesome, I could use something like that I have actually been looking for one. I believe that is the same model as brendonv  has.

leonz

Quote from: CTL logger on September 04, 2013, 06:09:53 AM
I hired the guy up the road from me to split a couple loads of wood with his chomper.
I'm not impressed half the wood was too big or I should say the butt end was.
I ended up cutting one load by hand and had to pay him.

I want to buy a small processor and really like the Wood Beaver processors and the guy selling them at the shows also built it.

They look like a nice machine and it has a hydraulic log lift so your not dragging your wood through the dirt. I hope to have one by fall.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How green was the log length wood?

Which Chomper does this owner have?

Simplex 14 or 16 or the super 14 or 16?

If he owns a Simplex 14 it splits a four way split only unless it has been equiped with the optional 2-4-8 splitting head assembly.

Did you ask him to split the rounds into small splits????

Before we get into an argument;

When a log is loaded into the carrier sled/chute the first piece and last piece sheared are the only ones that have ONE SHEARED END every block between the first and last block has been shreared on both ends so lets get that out of the way. that is why the wood dries so quickly compared to a split round.

It sounds like you did not ask him to split the blocks in an 8 way split as a two or four way split would create larger pieces.

Any wet wood will be messy and split poorly as it has a lot moisture in it.

As far as splintering wood goes any commercial splitter creates splinters anyway so thats not real argument against a shearing firewood processor.

I have a big commercial log splitter and it always creates splinters so thats not an issue for me as I use the splintered wood to fill the boiler when I want to burn it.

logman81

Found a dealer near me that has one, may have to check it out sometime.

brendonv

http://www.altheatsupply.com/

These guys are but a quarter mile from me.  They have one sitting out there.  Might be worth getting a price on, might be aging with a few hours on it.  Ask for Jeff, tell him brendon from Vorio Tree up the street sent you. 

You can pick it up and stop by at the same time! :D
"Trees live a secret life only revealed to those that climb them"

www.VorioTree.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vorio-Tree-Experts-LLC/598083593556636

logman81

Us that's the place ctwoodfurnace. I'm going to see if I can plan a trip there to check it out when I get some free time.

logman81

Hey logboy, how efficient is your machine? On average how many cords can you process on a tank of gas? Just trying to figure out how much it cost to process wood with it. I'm pretty sure I'm going to buy one soon.

logboy

I honestly don't know how much gas it uses.  Aside from the fact its a horizontal shaft instead of vertical, its the same engine thats on my Lucas Slabber (16 hp B&S) so it will run a few hours at full throttle.  Efficiency is based on how good your wood is (size straightness etc) and how fast you can clear the split wood (stacking, conveyor, etc). 

logman81

Ok thanks I will be getting a conveyor for off loading the split wood into a pile or truck. Most of what I get for log are long between 16 and 24' and straight that is what I buy and keep for myself from my timber harvest. The tops I sell as tree length to home owners looking to cut their own wood. Seems to work out pretty good for every body. I do like your idea about the tongs and will be doing the same. Do have just four way or do you have the six way wedge also?

logboy

I have the 4 way.  The 6 way actually voids the warranty on the splitter ram. I'm guessing it runs the pressure up too high. The 4 way does a good job apart from the really big stuff.

logman81

That is interesting never heard of something like that before. I'll have to investigate that when I talk to the dealer.

brendonv

Log mam,

Whats ur email,  i found a used prossesor you might want to call about.  Wood eater, 44 hp diesel, 7800$, 8 way splitter. In ct near danbury
"Trees live a secret life only revealed to those that climb them"

www.VorioTree.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vorio-Tree-Experts-LLC/598083593556636

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!