iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Joined the Ranks of Skidder Owner

Started by terry f, August 25, 2013, 12:39:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

terry f

Bought a Garrett model 15 Tree Farmer. It has a 4cyl gas engine, the winch doesn't work and has a few hydraulic leaks, but looks perfect for what I need. When I pick this up it will be the first time that I will be on a skidder in my life, so I won't be a skidder expert until next week. The question I have is, would it hurt anything to run it down a paved road 6 or 7 miles since its fulltime 4wd, or should I keep 2 tires off the road as much as possible.

Kemper

You don't want to make a habit of it, but it won't hurt anything for you to drive it on the blacktop. Remember to go slow, might want to get a flagger to go in front of you.

Quote from: terry f on August 25, 2013, 12:39:43 AM
    Bought a Garrett model 15 Tree Farmer. It has a 4cyl gas engine, the winch doesn't work and has a few hydraulic leaks, but looks perfect for what I need. When I pick this up it will be the first time that I will be on a skidder in my life, so I won't be a skidder expert until next week. The question I have is, would it hurt anything to run it down a paved road 6 or 7 miles since its fulltime 4wd, or should I keep 2 tires off the road as much as possible.

terry f

Thanks Kemper, from the looks of things, slow is its only speed. I plan on having a car follow with flashers.

JDeere

You do realize that when you become a skidder owner you also become a skidder mechanic.
2013 Western Star, 2012 Pelletier trailer, Serco 7500 crane, 2007 Volvo EC 140, 2009 John Deere 6115D, 2002 Cat 938G, 1997 John Deere 540G, 1996 Cat D-3C, 1995 Cat 416B, 2013 Cat 305.5E

terry f

Afraid of that, my abilities are limited.

Vance in AK

You will soon realize you have made a HORRIBLE mistake!!!  If you will deliver it I will take it off your hands & not charge you a penny.  Cut your losses now!  Only trying to help!!! ;D

Congrats! 8)

MEloggah

saxon0364

Quote from: JDeere on August 25, 2013, 07:40:16 AM
You do realize that when you become a skidder owner you also become a skidder mechanic.

Cripes aint that the truth?  Pretty soon your pickup will be full of tool boxes,  wrenches, sockets, hoses, odd spare parts, broken parts, chokers, cans  of hydraulic fluid,  motor oil, coolant, grease gun, grease, fuel tank, work gloves, rags, and I havn't even gotten started yet.  The funs just beginning. :D
Nothing wrong with quiet.

terry f

Vance, I would bring it to you, but I hear it rains in Alaska, an it doesn't have any windshield wipers, I just couldn't do that to you. MEloggah, I'm working on it, if I ever get it figured out you guys would be sick of my pics.

thecfarm

Quote from: terry f on August 25, 2013, 08:50:43 PM
    I'm working on it, if I ever get it figured out you guys would be sick of my pics.

That is something I would like to get sick of.  ;D   I like to see those old ones.Everything seems so BIG now. The small time guy and the new small skidders are getting fewer and fewer.  good luck with the skidder.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

cutter88

lol u couldn't have said that better
Romans 10 vs 9 
650G lgp Deere , 640D deere, 644B deere loader, 247B cat, 4290 spit fire , home made fire wood processor, 2008 dodge diesel  and a bunch of huskys and jonsereds (IN MEMORY OF BARRY ROGERSON)

cutter88

Quote from: saxon0364 on August 25, 2013, 08:05:21 PM

Cripes aint that the truth?  Pretty soon your pickup will be full of tool boxes,  wrenches, sockets, hoses, odd spare parts, broken parts, chokers, cans  of hydraulic fluid,  motor oil, coolant, grease gun, grease, fuel tank, work gloves, rags, and I havn't even gotten started yet.  The funs just beginning. :D

yep only a logger has more tools and parts in his pickup then most shops do
Romans 10 vs 9 
650G lgp Deere , 640D deere, 644B deere loader, 247B cat, 4290 spit fire , home made fire wood processor, 2008 dodge diesel  and a bunch of huskys and jonsereds (IN MEMORY OF BARRY ROGERSON)

mad murdock

Congratulations terry! 8) 8) The Garrett 15 is a nice machine, I really like mine, even with the fixes yet to do, it works real well.  Mine has a foot brake that is for 2 drum brakes on the back wheels, but it doesnt work.  The 2 hand brakes work, just have to keep the cables limbered up.  One is for the drive line as it exits the main transmission, and the other is on the driveline as it exits the hi-lo box.  Mine is set up with a high/lo that is fed from the 6 speed ford truck tranny connected to the bell housing.  In 6th hi, it is scary fast, compared to the steering (or the ability of the operator to steer), I have only used the high gear a couple times, scared myself, had to change out shorts, and dropped speed down a notch.  the Gearmatic 8A winchdrum is not too complicated, get yourself a supply of bluecreeper to loosen up the rusted hardware, apply heat as needed, and it should come apart ok.  If you need the bands relined, you can either do it yourself, or there are places that will do it for you.  The engine/tranny clutch is stock ford truck, parts are not too hard to come by for most things.  If you need manuals, the 172 ford engine manual is had on http://www.manuals.us/
If you want to run in the wet or any snow, you will want to chain up at least the front tires, if you chain up all 4 just be careful, as things are easier to break when the tires don't slip at all. 
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Decked

terry f

Thanks Mad Murdock, it took a hour and a half to move it 7 miles today, if it went any faster my teeth would be full of bugs, cause I was grinning ear to ear. This has a lever for forward and reverse, and a 4 speed tranny, the park brake doesn't work but the foot brake seems good. Like I said, when I got on it today to drive it home, it was the first skidder or anything articulated I've driven. Gearmatic 9 winch, 16.9-30 tires and a worn out spare. Decked, I tried last year with a ipad and couldn't figure it out, took some today with a tablet, if I get it figured out you'll be sick of my pictures.

redprospector

1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

mad murdock

Sounds like a cool machine terry! The 9 winchdrum is similar to the 8A, prolly a little better. You can download a copy of the manual for the 9/19/119 from paccar's website. http://www.paccarwinch.com/pdf/j-152c.pdf check that link out.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

terry f

Thanks, looks like a good site, some of it even I can understand. I have to say, the 15 is bigger than I thought it would be.

Vance in AK

Quote from: terry f on August 25, 2013, 08:50:43 PM
    Vance, I would bring it to you, but I hear it rains in Alaska, an it doesn't have any windshield wipers, I just couldn't do that to you.

Rain?  Here????  On the Alaskan coast in the Cook Inlet?????  Who told you that?

Sounds like you are in too deep now though.  You actually think you are going to LIKE being a skidder owner/mechanic! You have been sucked into Never Land! :D  Enjoy ;D

WH_Conley

Terry, get in the habit of putting the blade down when getting off the machine. Park brakes can fail. It will slow you down a little bit, but, you will still be alive. We just had a funeral here last week, skidder ran over the fellow.
Bill

mad murdock

Quote from: WH_Conley on August 27, 2013, 01:26:45 PM
Terry, get in the habit of putting the blade down when getting off the machine. Park brakes can fail. It will slow you down a little bit, but, you will still be alive. We just had a funeral here last week, skidder ran over the fellow.
Good advise that is! I always think of the skidder blade as the ultimate brake, it works every time it is used!

Vance in AK

Quote from: mad murdock on August 27, 2013, 02:41:41 PM
Quote from: WH_Conley on August 27, 2013, 01:26:45 PM
Good advise that is! I always think of the skidder blade as the ultimate brake, it works every time it is used!

+1

I ran a Clark 666 with no functioning brakes of any kind for a guy back when I 1st went to work in the woods straight out of high school & didn't know any better (as he put it the good operators don't need brakes...).  The blade was it.  It worked...
Same guy had me bumping knots on a landing, in a deck, in the dark by the crummy headlights, with no chaps.  Got my 1st chainsaw cut that morning.  Nice gash on the front of the thigh.  He convinced me real loggers (I wanted to be a REAL logger) don't need stiches or to report injuries.  "A few butterflies bandages will put that right back together."  They did :)
Thankfully he went out of business not long after I found a much better logger to work for.

thecfarm

Good advice on the blade. Do it everytime and after a few weeks it will become second nature to lower the blade when you get off and raise it when you get back on.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Stephen Alford

Hey Terry, congrats on the skidder, any pics yet ?  The lads are right about getting in the habit of putting the blade down  and behind a stump ramps it up.  My situation is the blade on the under and back side is sloped up. Combine  the natural curve with the height of low stumps and hydraulics that slack off plus steep terrain ; she will jump the stump.  In a way it is probably odd that someone like myself not from an area noted for steep terrain compared to what some folks on here ,who must be part "sidehill gouger", finds steep terrain such a concern.

If you find yourself on steep terrain take the time to plan your twitches. Finding a 10-12" harwood to go between wheel and fairlead works good. I know I posted these pics before but if it works for you fill your boots.

On another note the first load of processor wood for the season arrived yesterday.

The day ended well, good luck with the garret. :)

logon

terry f

Thanks Stephen, if anyone has this game of logging figured out its you. From your past pics, it looks like you run the cleanest operation and landings I've seen. Got a chance to play with the skidder this weekend, and couldn't be happier. I didn't pull a log, but played dozer operator for a while, and with a little practice and experience it looks like it will be the ticket for what I need. Thanks to everyone for the blade advise, I don't have much for hills, but it likes to roll on any little incline. I'm still working on the picture thing, been trying, but I need picture posting for dummies.

terry f

First attempt at posting a picture, we'll see if it works.

mad murdock

Great job on the pics terry! Nice looking treefarmer

terry f

Thanks, how can you tell the age, is it in the serial number?

mad murdock

It looks almost like mine, except the paint color. Mine is a 1964, model 15A with the Diesel engine, gearmatic 8A winchdrum. I am not sure of it would be in the serial number or not. The model/serial number are on the left side frame rail just behind and possibly partially under where the front radiator protection plate bolts on adjacent to where the battery is located on the left side of the engine. Looks like you have the original Garrett arch on yours too.

terry f

I wondered about the arch, it has a big hydraulic ram and didn't look original. This one has a plate on the dash with the serial and model number, but I'll look by the radiator to see if there are more. Winch info looks to be behind the seat. Now that I learned how to post pictures, watch out, you guys will probably get tired of them.

Skiddersally

Man that is great. I've got an s7b international that has been a great old skidder. Just this summer I updated to a John Deere 540 B. nice skidder love it it's faster way easier to run but just like yesterday my shifter cables froze I was dead in the water I started up the old 353 Detroit and passed the 540 and got to work. Those guys are right though you will have all kinds of tools, oil, grease, and head aches. I log part time just on the weekends. It's only work if you don't enjoy it. It was 10 degrees out on a Sunday morning I'm working on my skidder there big beautiful red and white oak on the ground the the ground is frozen great for skidding and the thing won't move. Just my luck there is always next week. I'm sure you will enjoy your skidder very much.

David-L

Very nice looking skidder. looks to be very straight and low impact. Good luck ,be safe.

David l
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

coxy

need to put a set of fenders on the old girl will help save the rears and tires  you don't find them in that shape any more good luck with her ;D 8)

thecfarm

That does looks some nice. Get a twitch behind it and post it in this thread.
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,13313.0.html

mad murdock

The arch fairlead and frame are original.  The cylinder is an add-on.  See this pic I have in my gallery of one of Garretts original sales sheets on the TreeFarmer.

Here is a pic of my skidder with the "custom" arch it has on it

You have one very fine looking Garrett Terry!  That thing looks like a low mileage machine for sure!

terry f

Thanks, that arch looks a lot beefier. I haven't pulled a single stick, so I'm not allowed on the timber harvest thread yet, but if there was a dozer thread, I could post there.  ;D

thecfarm

Get a hitch behind that critter.  ;D

mad murdock

Quote from: terry f on November 25, 2013, 04:58:55 PM
    Thanks, that arch looks a lot beefier. I haven't pulled a single stick, so I'm not allowed on the timber harvest thread yet, but if there was a dozer thread, I could post there.  ;D
I think my arch might have started life on the back of a Timberjack. The Garrett one is tough enough, might find it handy having that cylinder on yours, I could see where that would be a nice feature in certain situations. Depending on how far it moves up/down, you might even be able to make a simple attachment to go on the top of it to extend an "arm" and have it raise/lower with the arch and use with a set of tongs. Lots of possibilities with that machine, I think.

thenorthman

Ok I'm jealous...

I still want a garrett, even though the Deere 440a I have is probably a better, faster machine, those old garretts are just nimble, and light enough to tow behind a 3/4 tontruck.
well that didn't work

mad murdock

Well thenorthman, keep an eye on craigslist and the capital press classifieds. They do come up now and again.  You may just find one.

Stephen Alford

Good looking piece of gear, looks to be just enough room behind it for a trailer with a log loader.    :)
logon

thenorthman

Quote from: mad murdock on November 26, 2013, 01:47:54 AM
Well thenorthman, keep an eye on craigslist and the capital press classifieds. They do come up now and again.  You may just find one.

Been keeping my eye on one near me for 3500, and some other jerk dismantled one and is trying to sell the axles and what not for 4k...

And another one they want 6 or 8k for...

The problem is I don't really have anywhere to park the Deere let alone another skidder, and a dump truck, a dozer, a yarder, a shovel, maybe get ambitious and find a spot for a self loader...

well that didn't work

thecfarm

I have a big parking lot. I will keep the parking meter full too.  :D

mad murdock

Quote from: thenorthman on November 26, 2013, 08:39:12 AM

Been keeping my eye on one near me for 3500, and some other jerk dismantled one and is trying to sell the axles and what not for 4k...

And another one they want 6 or 8k for...

The problem is I don't really have anywhere to park the Deere let alone another skidder, and a dump truck, a dozer, a yarder, a shovel, maybe get ambitious and find a spot for a self loader...
That is tough to take.  I hate seeing a good piece of old iron dismantled for scrap or what have you as well. Sounds like you need to find yourself a bigger yard ;)

redprospector

Quote from: thenorthman on November 25, 2013, 10:15:38 PM
Ok I'm jealous...

I still want a garrett, even though the Deere 440a I have is probably a better, faster machine, those old garretts are just nimble, and light enough to tow behind a 3/4 tontruck.

I pulled my 440b many a mile on a 14K gooseneck behind a F-250. I did go to a 20K trailer and a 3500 Dodge though, but a 3/4 ton will do it.
You're in the same boat I was in. You're going to have to just face it, and bite the bullet and buy a piece of dirt.

Andy
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

terry f

Mad Murdock, I think the guy I got it from used the ram and tongs,  there are also four sets of chokers, but he said he never used the winch, so they were just drug or lifted a little with the ram. Lots of little leaks, and the winch don't work (yet) but just the ticket for what I need. Thenorthman, sounds like you need 2 graveled acres, fenced, with a 8000 square foot shop with living quarters, but then, don't we all.

thenorthman

Yep, 5 acres or more... with a nice big shop, thats the plan anyway.  Got to get the current piece paid down a little bit so I can sell it and then go find a bigger piece of dirt.
well that didn't work

Thank You Sponsors!