iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Changing water in a central boiler.

Started by Nemologger, August 24, 2013, 10:01:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nemologger

How often should a person change the water in a Central Boiler out side stove? Also will the water that's in the stove kill the grass?
Clean and Sober

beenthere

Did you add any chemicals to the CB water? If so, what ??
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

doctorb

My understanding is that you TEST the water twice a year.  If it still falls within the accepted parameters ( pH and nitrates), you are not suggested to change the water.  So an annual water jacket flush and refill is NOT recommended or routine.  Can't tell you about the grass viability with the inhibitor in the water.  Rather than risk a large brown streak (on the lawn  ;D), I'd get another section of hose.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

AsaG

doctorb is spot on.  Be sure your test kit is stored in a climate-controlled location and is reasonably fresh for the most accurate test results.  I replace mine every couple of years.  If your system is sound, not leaking and your CB hasn't over heated and boiled, you shouldn't need to add water other than, perhaps, a very slight amount to make up for evaporation through the vent tube in the fill cap.  Over the current two year run of 24x7x365 operation, I've never added water. Unless you are introducing make-up water on a regular basis, your water chemistry should be pretty stable.  If the only additive in your water is the CB corrosion inhibitor part #1650, draining *cooled* system water won't hurt anything - done it several times and never an issue.  Propylene glycol antifreeze solution is another matter though.  It may be non-toxic but the grass won't feel that way about it. 

moonflower

Have a Central Boiler and love it, if you have any questions Double L Tack, Michigan is a certified Central Boiler distributor and will answer any of your questions. I have not changed the water in mine but do test it 2 times a year and make sure that the tester kit stays in the house not outside.

Logging logginglogging

When i emptied my old boiler for removal, the chemicals did not harm grass or trees.

Wood Shed

Nemologger,

I have a CB 6048 that is ready to start its 14th season and I have tried to empty and refill mine every three years as stated in the owners manual.  When refilling I add two gallon (units) rust inhibitor as instructed.  I also have never had to add water between refills.  I run a 75 foot hose into the woods and let it drain without issues. 
A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in." -Greek Proverb

Thank You Sponsors!