iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The Barn Raising...

Started by Brian_Weekley, August 22, 2013, 10:00:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drobertson

Fantastic job! Has to be a very rewarding feeling!  Love it!
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Peter Drouin

Why can't you not have the lath on the wall? The roof I know about. But the walls smiley_headscratch
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Brian_Weekley

Quote from: Peter Drouin on November 12, 2014, 01:01:01 PM
Why can't you not have the lath on the wall? The roof I know about. But the walls smiley_headscratch

Peter,

I have 2 inch thick rigid foam on the walls so there's nothing to nail the shingles to.  The vertical strapping holds the insulation on and the horizontal strapping is to nail the shingles to.  Since the shingles will have a 5 inch reveal, I need lath every 5 inches.  I'm going for a "rain screen" design--very similar to the shingle portion of the wall shown in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-65x7IDi40

Brian
e aho laula

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Brian_Weekley

Opportunities to work on the barn are few and far between, but I had a chance to get a few days in this past week.  Except for a rain day, the weather was absolutely fantastic!  Finished trim around the door and transom and the lathe on the front side is now ready for cedar shingles.  Also got the front barn sash window installed and trimmed.  Originally, I contemplated a "pentice roof" over the door.  Instead, I opted for a wide drip cap over the transom window.  I'm pleased with how it's looking—trying to keep it consistent with a New England/Maine style.  However, now I think it needs a small "dentil molding" detail below the crown molding to add the final touch.  I'm really digging the swing-out doors.  They work sweet.

Still have a ton to do.  Hope I get the chance to make a few trips up there this year.

e aho laula

grweldon

My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

Brian_Weekley

Quote from: Dave Shepard on November 27, 2013, 05:11:03 PM
Did you keep track of how long it took for each phase of the project? Cutting and raising seems to be a much smaller part of the big picture, when it's all said and done.

Dave,

Sorry--seemed to have missed your question.  No, I didn't keep track of time.  However, now I can confidently confirm you are correct--cutting and raising of the frame was definitely the fast and easy part of this project.  So many details to figure out and work on after the frame went up.  Maybe I'll need to organize a shingle party!
e aho laula

BCsaw

Glad to see this thread continue! ;D ;D

Looks great Brian.
Inspiration is the ability to "feel" what thousands of others can't!
Homebuilt Band Sawmill, Kioti 2510 Loader Backhoe

Brian_Weekley

Life got in the way this year and I didn't have much time to get away to work on the barn.  Finally had a few days in Maine to add more strapping and start putting some cedar shingles on.  It's still a slow work in progress...

e aho laula

Dave Shepard

You've got a way to go to catch up in the procrastinating department. I still haven't built doors for the barn we put up in 2011. Looks great.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

TimFromNB

Brian, that is very nice work! Looks amazing.

I will be building a cabin with a very similar design (Sobon as well) and keep fussing about the details of the enclosure. It was great to see the details of your wrap and strap.

I have a few questions I hope you can answer:
- What thickness planks did you use to enclose the frame? Are they tongue and groove?
- Did you insulate the roof? If so, how?
- Would you recommend a stone foundation over cement piers (in terms of costs and time)?

Thanks in advance!
Tim

Brian_Weekley

Quote from: TimFromNB on October 26, 2016, 11:00:47 AM
I have a few questions I hope you can answer:
- What thickness planks did you use to enclose the frame? Are they tongue and groove?

The vertical barn siding that I put up first was rough-cut pine, full 1x8's cut by my sawyer (same on the roof).  I originally planned to T&G them onsite, but I just didn't have the time available to do it.  T&G or ship-lap is really the way to go since the boards will shrink--there are gaps between the boards now that you see on the inside.  However, that's why I added tar-paper on the outside of the siding before the insulation--it makes "a dark curtain" so those gaps are less noticeable (and so you don't see the insulation from the inside).

- Did you insulate the roof? If so, how?

I insulated the roof with 4 inches of polyiso (2x layers staggered with taped seams).  Of course, more would have been better, but this is intended as a future workshop--not a house.  Here's my YouTube slideshow which illustrates the the roof details:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DclbGgw1GqE

(If you actually view on the YouTube site, you can read the text details in the description)

- Would you recommend a stone foundation over cement piers (in terms of costs and time)?

Cost-wise, it depends on whether you have plenty of good stone available to you.  In my case, I had plenty of (round) stone on the property, but that's harder to build with.  I ended up buying nice flat stone that was dug up from a quarry just a few miles down the road.  I wanted a stone foundation because it's traditional and sure is pretty!  It's not that hard to do, but it is hard work and will take a few days to build it.  Here's another FF member who made a very nice stone foundation:

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,61682.0.html

His foundation is much nicer than mine due to the excavation and the large underlying stones.  I just built mine on top of a gravel pad.  The idea with the dry stone foundation is if there is any settling/shifting in the future, you can theoretically jack up and shim where needed (but probably easier said then done).
e aho laula

TimFromNB

Brian_Weekley

I ended up finishing two sides this year.  The rest will have to wait till next year...

e aho laula

Carson-saws

WOW!!...really like the foundation and the barn looks totally outstandingly awesome Sirs.
Let the Forest be salvation long before it needs to be

Dakota

Dave Rinker

fishfighter

TimFromNB

Awesome, love the cedar shingles!

thecfarm

Get them shingles to gray a little and it will look like it always been there!!!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

jimdad07

You did an excellent job on that building.  Very good thread, thanks for posting.
Hudson HFE 30 Homesteader bandmill w/28' of track
Couple tractors, a bunch of chainsaws and not enough time to use them.

TimFromNB

Is there a name for the wide window above the door? I really like the look of them and am considering one for my cabin.

Thanks,
Tim

Brian_Weekley

Tim,

It's called a transom window.  Here's the link to how I made the window:

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,76256.msg1157106.html#msg1157106

And here's a video on how I made the frame for it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4Nh3BzyO-g

e aho laula

Dave Shepard

It's called a transom window. You can buy them from most window manufactures in standard or custom sizes.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

TimFromNB

Thank You Sponsors!